Joint soreness

Options
Hi,

I've been on MFP for quite a while now; over the last year as I recovered from some serious health issues I've been focussing on eating healthy and making logging a regular habit, this has been going well. Therefore I haven't been exercising yet or losing very much.

In about two months I'll be starting university again and will be walking to school, about a half hour twice a day. I knew I needed to gradually ease back into activity again after being sedentary for so long, my plan was to start walking ten minutes every other day and work up from there.

Yesterday I went for the walk and got sidetracked then got lost - by the time I got home I'd been walking for forty minutes. I was on pavement, the surface was level and I was wearing well-cushioned shoes.

This morning my knees are screaming. The joints are so sore. I realize I overdid it for just starting again after being sedentary and if my muscles were sore I wouldn't think twice about it, but because it's the actual joints that are sore I got concerned. Is this normal? And if so, and I go back to my initial plan of starting slow, can I build my endurance without screwing up my knees??

Replies

• AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It could have been the hard pavement. Walking around outside can do numbers on my body- even when I am in good shape. I cannot run outside for that very reason. Take an epsom salt bath and see if it helps. If it keeps up, you may want to avoid gluten and sugar for a while as they can cause joint pain. (they do for me)
  • willowbee4me
    willowbee4me Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a great question and the same situation for me Prairielilly. I am trying to walk as my only source of exercise and I feel it in my joints as I am increasing the duration. Very discouraging and quite a bit frightening. Is it age or a previously sedentary lifestyle along with weight? I tried the same routine last year for a number of months. I saw a weight loss along with very gradual decrease in joint pain but never complete recovery. I was put on Crestor for cholestral and then I really noticed pain in joints and thighs. Stopped everything and gained a bit back. Now back to the Crestor because doctor doesn't think it causes my pain. Again, walking is causing the same severe pains in my joints and knees.

I will try to update you if I get any answers. Do you have any osteoarthritis issues? I know my knees have this condition.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Amber said - it could be the pavement - which is very un-forgiving. I am 49 - and I have to do all of my running/walking on my treadmill. It's cushioned - much different from walking around my neighborhood - which I used to do regularly - but with me it's my hips; they would ache the next day. Sorry for such a long, run-on sentence! Agreed with the epsom salts - I also use Bengay creme - it does help (although it makes you smell like a peppermint Lifesaver).....lol
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any joint supplements? Anti-infamatories? I am not out to make anyone a pill farmer, but there are a lot of good, natural supplements that can be very beneficial.

Another option would be to include bone broth in your diet. I try to drink a cup three to four days a week. Wonderful stuff.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have had AO for a long time now. I swim alot, plus many other things. I stretch at home early in the morning 3 times a week, many times before going to the pool. Last year I finally started a beginners yoga program and it's the best thing I've ever done. The movements help my joints much more than I ever believed possible. I'd recomend that you start a stretching program, or light yoga BEFORE going walking. You just have to try different things to see what works best in your situation.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stretching recommendation and also try to drink more water on your walking days
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have had AO for a long time now. I swim alot, plus many other things. I stretch at home early in the morning 3 times a week, many times before going to the pool. Last year I finally started a beginners yoga program and it's the best thing I've ever done. The movements help my joints much more than I ever believed possible. I'd recomend that you start a stretching program, or light yoga BEFORE going walking. You just have to try different things to see what works best in your situation.

Did not even think about warming up/stretching. Good advise!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP whatever you decide to do, do it in small increments. I've learned this through trial and error. 5 years ago I was so frustrated with the pain and aches from AO, that I lashed out at my brother-in-law (our doctor) and said that at this rate I'd be in a wheelchair in a few years. I was always excercising and swimming etc, but going up and down stairs was painful and I tried to use as few meds as possible. Then 3 yrs ago I found MFP. At first I just used it to lose weight-20 lbs, but then I discovered the boards and a whole new world of information and people with grit opened up to me. I started to try new things, I pushed myself to do more a little at a time and now I'm so much better. Sure, the 20 lbs lost helped, but my attitude has changed. Little by little, I can do alot more and now I know that. I never give up either. So, do what you can. Stretch a little, take a 20 min walk, rinse and repeat. The next week if all goes well, stretch a little more, take a 25 min walk, rinse and repeat,.......... By next year you can be a whole new person (and who knows, run a marathon if you want).