Twitchy thighs

Options
Often when I walk at a brisk pace for a few miles or more, my thighs twitch once I stop. It feels almost like bubbles on my skin, I like to imagine that it's fat cells bursting.
Can anyone tell me what's really happening?

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    My guess would be small muscle spasms, but I like the fat cells bursting theory much better!
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think I've read online that it means you need to stretch and your dehydrated..if I remember correctly. I've had the same sensation.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    OMG...I love the fat cells bursting theory!! I would go with that one...LOL!!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Usually that's a sign of dehydration. Be sure to drink plenty of water before your walk, and I'd consider carrying a water bottle with you and drink as you go. While I love the idea of bursting fat cells ( :) ), dehydration can be serious, so make sure you're drinking plenty.

I also read that it can be a cause that you are doing too much, too soon, or not getting adequate sleep.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It can't possibly be dehydration, I drink tons of water all day long and always have a bottle with me.
    It's been going on for as long as I can remember, 30 years or more and I generally sleep well, 7-8 hours most nights.
    I'm mainly a swimmer, do it 4 times a week but don't get the effect then. On my days off swimming, I walk/hike between 5-8 miles and that's usually when it happens.
    It MUST be fat cells bursting!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Google "fasciculations".

Do you eat a lot of sodium?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I get this feeling too. Are you particularly big in the thigh? Personally, I believe it is either minor muscle spasms, or the nerves near skin reacting to having been jiggled violently for 30 minutes of running (I am bigger in the thighs). As weird as that sounds, the feeling has decreased as I've lost leg fat.

Oh - and I don't think it's dehydration either, assuming we're experiencing the same thing. I have gotten the dehydration chills/goosebumps, and this is a much different experience.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally get pulses deep in my leg muscles when I sit back down after I walk for an hour. No clue.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Google "fasciculations".

Interesting read moose!
    My poor eyelids. LOL.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Excellent posting! A very curious topic for me as well, after some workouts I experience twitching in shoulders, Glutes, thighs, forearms and even in my eyes!!!

I have always just regarded this as my muscles repairing themselves. But I'm pretty sure this is incorrect?
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Google "fasciculations".

I think that must be exactly what it is. No, I don't care for sodium, rarely add it to any foods.

I'm down 89 pounds so far, so I'm pretty sure that I've annihilated at least a few fat cells. ;-)