First time spin class need to knows?

Rage_Phish
Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
anything someone would need to know before a first spin class?

Thinking of taking one at my gym this weekend

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    pace yourself so you have energy for the whole class.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Take the time to have the bike set up properly, my instructor was really cool and showed me what to look for. Bring water and a towel, have fun!
  • macbblue
    macbblue Posts: 19 Member
    Yes definitely lots of water and a towel. A gel seat cover helps a lot too!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Get to class about 10 minutes ahead to get a bike and get help setting it properly. I grab two small towels - left and right handle bar - and take in two bottles of water.

If a part of class is too intense it is okay to sit/stand/reduce resistance/slow down/etc. whatever you need to do to keep going.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 990 Member
    ^^^All of that.

Plus...

You don't have to take every sprint, drink water when you need it, breath, don't hunch your shoulders, and don't put your weight on your arms or grip the handle bars tight, have fun!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Remember that the levels and RPM's called out by the instructor are just suggested for the class -- you can set you bike lower and go slower as needed -- same with standing in positions -- sit if needed. Also, the place you take the class will make a big difference -- I took a few weeks of spin classes at one studio and ended up switching to another -- difference was like night and day.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    The correct way to spin to protect your knees is the "push and pull" Push with your heels not with your toes. If you can only push with your toes, then your seat is too high. Then pull back up. The best way to describe the motion is trying to wipe dog crap off the heel of your shoe. Push down with your heel then pick up keeping your toes facing forward.

Check to make sure your resistance is completely off to start. If you feel like you can add more then do so if not keep it off. gear the workout to your fitness and comfort level.

No yoga pants or pants the go past your heel, it may get caught in the pedal, you don't have to wear short but you may want the exercise pants that cinch at your ankle
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Rage_Phish
    Glad you posted your thread... questions I was thinking of myself lately! :)
    macbblue wrote: »

@macbblue what type do you recommend? thanks :)
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Chat with the instructor ahead of time and let them know you're a first timer. Typically they'll help you set up your bike and explain the class.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Oh! And your ... crotch... will feel like it got kicked the next day. It WILL feel like you have a bruise between your legs. After a few classes, you will no longer be painful in this region.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited March 2016
    No one knows what your resistance settings are on your bike and no one cares. If the instructor says add two, do NOT feel obligated to add two. If they say you should be at a 9-12, no one knows if your on a 3. If you feel awkward by not moving the lever or spinning the dial, pretend you are.

If you sit the whole class, and just spin your legs, no one cares. You are your own judge, work within your capability as it will increase over time.

Keep your RPM above 60 to protect your knees. If it falls below, reduce the resistance.

If you stick with it, go get some bike shorts if you don't already have them. Your bottom will thank you. Secondly, get some bike shoes. If you have an REI near by you can usually get a clearance pair for around $45.
  • macbblue
    macbblue Posts: 19 Member
    @Rage_Phish

I got mine at the sporting goods store. It's just a black cover that you can carry with you and take on and off the seat . I don't think I paid more than $15 for mine. Walmart might even carry them. It definitely helps prevent a sore bottom!
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Remember- it is your ride. Do what you can- listen and above all have fun!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2016
    get there early and have your bike set up for you. wear cycling shorts. don't spew on the guy in front of you...

giphy.gif
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Bike pants help a -ton-, I always wear them when I spin. But I do have them already since I ride a lot
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    @Rage_Phish

I hate those things. Less is more. You're better off wearing decent cycling shorts than those silly seat pads.
  • The first class may turn you off based on how bad or uncomfortable the seat made you feel. For myself it took a couple classes for me to get use to the seat, and once you get over the feeling you will really enjoy the class.