Tv is sabotaging me.

Options
Every time I get home from work I get on Netflix or watch my recorded shows. I eat so good throughout the day but as soon as I turn that tv on, I eat eat eat. I cant watch anything without have a a snack or meal.

Last night I downlaoded a new book on my kindle. Going to read after work instead. Lets see how and if this makes a difference.

Replies

• cnote56
    cnote56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem, but then I made myself do some sort of exercise while I watch a show. I started with watching soccer matches on the weekends. I'd get on my stationary bike for the first half then have my meal at halftime. I felt the exercise revved up my metabolism for the day. Hope that helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    You sabotage yourself. You're describing HABITUAL BEHAVIOR and it's something you've done automatically for a long time. Now you're changing it. How about watching Netflix WHILE you're on a treadmill or elliptical? Bet it wouldn't be "sabotaging" you then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You need to replace that behavior with a new behavior. Exercise is of course best, but if you don't have space for it or you are really tired one day, you can try doing something else with your hands like knitting, drawing, or playing with a fidget toy.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I crochet when watching so my hands are too busy to put food in my mouth.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I cant watch anything without have a a snack or meal.

Yes you can, if you tell yourself you can't then you won't. Don't try and normalise it, view it for what it is, an erratic behaviour that is not necessary. Not saying that will change your habits, but telling yourself you have to eat when you watch something isn't going to help.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I play games on my iPad or work on a basket (I'm a basket weaver) or clean my firearms (also an NRA Pistol Instructor). Keeps my hands busy so I'm less likely to want to eat. If I get to where I just really want something, I'll have flavored water or a cup of coffee (I use Stevia and sugar free creamer so it's low-calorie).

• HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I workout whilst watching Netflix. I pick a show and then I only allow myself to watch it when I'm working out. I'm currently watching pretty little liars and I can do about 15-20km per episode :)
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Gonna echo the others here - tv isn't sabotaging you, but rather habitual eating is.

I don't actually agree with "replacement" behaviors. You don't need to do another thing to stop habitual eating. Just take control of that habit, and make it healthy.

I've come to realize that if i take a bag of chips to the couch, i'll eat most or all of the bag. I'll only quit when i hit the bottom of the bag, or when i become mindful of how many chips i've eaten, and feel shameful.

But when i get out a small snack bowl and pour a few chips into it, and then take THAT to the couch, i'm quite satisfied with a reasonable portion.

I have lost a third of my goal by just being mindful of my eating. When i feel powerless and compelled to engage in a habit, i have learned to stop and really examine that feeling so that i can take control of my eating and get healthy, physically and emotionally.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You sabotage yourself. You're describing HABITUAL BEHAVIOR and it's something you've done automatically for a long time. Now you're changing it. How about watching Netflix WHILE you're on a treadmill or elliptical? Bet it wouldn't be "sabotaging" you then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

QFT
  • UnicornAmanda1
    UnicornAmanda1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can relate!!! I would do good all day and be on track but then at night when the kiddos are in bed and me and my guy watch our shows i would eat and eat!! Now i will have a snack but then i will start looming at night. I have made a few hats and scarfs.. Now i am working on a blanket for my son!! Its super easy.. Relaxing.. The supplies are cheap enough.. And its known that crafting is good for mental health too!
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm this way too. Do you drink coffee or tea? I stopped doing this by making myself a coffee and sipping on that while I watch. Coffee still has calories but it's not as bad as chips, cookies or some other unhealthy snack.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    We're all about routines and habits, which can be created/broken very easily. All it would take is to not sit in front of netflix, tv, etc with food, a few times to break it. It's going to feel wrong, uncomfortable, and like something is missing, but you can do it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You are the master of your own success or demise.

If you have a habit or routine and don't like it - you need to change it. Getting food to eat in front of the TV requires an positive action on your behalf, and only you can stop taking that positive action. If you cannot muster the self control to sit on the couch and watch TV without eating, change the routine more forcefully - watch TV on the treadmill or elliptical, find something to do with your hands while you watch TV or just don't watch it at all.

Getting into the mindset that an inanimate object is sabotaging you, or that you're helpless in the face of your own actions, is conducive to failure. Using phrases like "I CAN'T..." is shirking responsibility for your own actions and giving yourself permission to continue to take the actions and blame other factors.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This is not sabotage, it's an annoying habit. Chew strongly flavored gum or brush your teeth right before you sit down. You won't want to eat anything and eventually you will break the habit.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You are the master of your own success or demise.

If you have a habit or routine and don't like it - you need to change it. Getting food to eat in front of the TV requires an positive action on your behalf, and only you can stop taking that positive action. If you cannot muster the self control to sit on the couch and watch TV without eating, change the routine more forcefully - watch TV on the treadmill or elliptical, find something to do with your hands while you watch TV or just don't watch it at all.

Getting into the mindset that an inanimate object is sabotaging you, or that you're helpless in the face of your own actions, is conducive to failure. Using phrases like "I CAN'T..." is shirking responsibility for your own actions and giving yourself permission to continue to take the actions and blame other factors.

This. If you remain in the victim mindset, you are letting an inanimate object control you. Which, when you really stop and think about it, is completely self-defeating, not to mention silly.

When you are ready to actually make a change, you will. And this situation won't alleviate itself until/unless you do. :)
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    2891S_1.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I do that too. But I plan for it. I push my dinner back until 7:30. Then I have a 9:00 dessert, then a 10:00/10:30 dessert. I can pull it off in a moderate deficit and definitely maintenance.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,113 Member
    Options
    Every time I get home from work I get on Netflix or watch my recorded shows. I eat so good throughout the day but as soon as I turn that tv on, I eat eat eat. I cant watch anything without have a a snack or meal.

Last night I downlaoded a new book on my kindle. Going to read after work instead. Lets see how and if this makes a difference.

If you're going to watch TV, do something else while you're watching.

I can't just watch TV. Boring!

I need to do stuff ... housework, exercise, projects on the computer ...

Just start doing stuff. Every time a commercial comes on, get up and do something. It's harder to eat if you're rushing around the house cleaning it, doing laundry, etc. etc.

• stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ive been the exact same for years but for 2 months solid ive managed to get 30 mins workout using youtube vids like 30 day shred before i allow myself to sit down and chill. at first it was forced apon but within a week or 2 it felt normal. lost 17 lbs since the turn of the year.
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think so many of us can relate to this!! My favorite show is Masterchef..... really, I wanna lose weight.... also it shows at dinnertime..6:30 pm and I refuse to record shows! (btw step 1: stop recording..) so I make it into a healthchallenge step 2: I do the stairmaster till the break, run around the house, prepare dinner, whatever, go back only to the stairmaster! or situps. Saves money for the gym, saves time since I combine and my house get organised way faster! step 3: relax in front of the tv: make the coffee or get tea with a delicious flavour like said before. Bonus: it takes long to cool off, all that time you havent been eating! Then start crochet. Yes it sounds old fashioned and boring, but picking up a new skill is good for the brains!Check my Pinterest page (follow Odile Horjus) and you can start producing nice stuff for your home instead of becoming braindead from tvshows (well, at least thats always how I feel sitting/hanging on the couch and snacking and watching, doesnt sound sexy....). I feel this forum is not only giving me feedback on my diet, but it is also about looking critically at your lifestyle: all aspects of life go hand in hand to improve the quality of your life. So hopefully these reactions are offering you a new look on life after workinghours! good luck