Proper warm up b4 lifting?

2»

Replies

• Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    I do a lot of rotating stuff for my joints. Shoulders shake them about then head into circles, hips I open and close the gates. Hamstring be like raises, back and core be truck rotations etc etc
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    A couple warm-up sets at 50% of the weight from my previous workout.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    500M row, dynamic stretching, warm-up sets with light weight - concentrating on any joints that need extra warmup attention
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    I warm up with a 1km row and some stretches. I have joint issues and need to be a bit careful.

Most men I see at my gym never do any warm up, but it's straight onto the weights, and often no warm up sets either. :/
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    akoivisto wrote: »
    Maybe not the smartest thing, but I sort of dive into lifting, just progressively load weight until I get to my current lift; so I do get a basic warm up.

Example: Squats

Basic Stretches if I'm feeling tight -> 5 Reps with 45lb Bar -> +45lbx2 for 5 reps -> +45lbx2 for 5 reps -> +45x2 for 5 reps -> +25lbx2 now being at target weight 5 sets of 5 reps. -> Re-rack weights, do the same for the next lift.

I believe this is what the SL site suggests.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    quiarga wrote: »
    I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for just over a month now. Since all the equipment is in my garage and it's winter, 5-10 min of cardio is a must to actually warm me up. I run, jog, skip rope in place as well as jumping jacks then move on to some dynamic stretching. Then the 5x5 warmups of empty bar + building up the weight to get to your actual weight for that workout.

This is what I do for the same reason. My son has a badge he has to earn for royal rangers (like cub scouts) that includes exercise so I've been doing sets of 20 with him of 3 different exercises and using that to warm up instead of 5-10 minutes of cardio. That and it is a little warmer outside as I no longer have to deal with single digit temperatures (F).
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    I do SL so a set with unloaded bar, then work up to my 5x5 weight. That's it. I really love how efficient SL is.
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    On leg days - you can find me on the stationary bike for about 10 mins -- on upper body days you can find me at the row machine for about 10 -- on ab/cardio days I am on the elliptical...

love this warm
  • ehardy2511
    ehardy2511 Posts: 8 Member
    Each weight lifting exercise should have 2 light sets of about 10 to 12 easy reps.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    I always do few minutes on the treadmill (walking) then
    I do a warmup for 5/3/1 of

5x40% of training max
    5x50% of training max
    3x60% of training max

Then onto the working sets.

You can always do just the bar for a set or two of 5
    I do a couple just to make sure things feel right and I have the rack adjusted correctly.

• ricky389
    ricky389 Posts: 2 Member
    What do you do before your lifting workout to prevent injury?

I do for you first set about 60% of the weight I will be lifting
  • Markjames82
    Markjames82 Posts: 143 Member
    Cross trainer for 5 minutes, then some serious stretching and a foam roller. I also have deep tissue massages once a week to help with mobility