That time of the month and extra weight loss

Options
For the women out there...
I have heard many women experience a woosh around/after that time of the month. How much weight do you lose around that time?
I just had my first real period in 7 years (got off BC, no periods in that time) and I lost 5lbs in 6 days. This makes my total weight loss 19.5lbs in just under 6 weeks. I'm not complaining, but it seems like a lot.
Does some of this weight find its way back towards the beginning of the next cycle?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I gain during period, not lose. The extra weight is gone after it is over. Around 1 lbs.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    With my severe hunger and bloating I gain up to 5 pounds during, by the time it's done the 5 pounds comes back off, no extra loss though unfortunately.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 1-2lbs heavier right before my TOM. Then after I am usually back to normal, less any weight from my deficit. I do bloat pretty badly. However there is usually 1 maybe 2 days initially where I feel like total crap. I will still walk my daily 2-4 miles at lunch but if a lift day falls on a particularly bad TOM day- I opt out. Luckily I dont have crazy food cravings just crazy irritability which is PERFECT for lift days! LOL!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I might gain a little in the week before, but I can lose 0-2lbs during that time of the month depending on how heavy it is. January I lost 4lbs during TOM after having not gotten it the previous two months.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I tend to hold my weight, maybe gain 1 during my period, and then woosh 2-4 the week after. two steps forward one step back over and over...
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose weight more quickly the first few days as well.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I bloat a lot during my period so I'm usually up about 1-2lbs but I don't sweat it at all. Once it's over I noticed considerable changes in my numbers about a week later. Bodies are funny like that.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's likely water weight, and it could find it's way back when your next period comes around. A lot of women find that hormonal birth control causes then to retain some extra water weight. You'll just have to wait and see. 3-5lbs (average) fluctuations are normal around your cycle.
  • nicolabradley87
    nicolabradley87 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay about the same all month then drop a couple of pounds just after my TOM, then maintain that weight for the next month, then drop again. And so on.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Interesting to hear everyone's responses. I was exercising often the two weeks prior, so I was still consistently losing, but not by a lot. Maybe I'll slow down as my body goes back to normal (although I hope not completely, my periods used to be from hell!)
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I put on anywhere between 2-4 lbs couple of days before my period. It stays on for about 3 weeks. Then comes the whoosh, when my weight reaches a new low ,which lasts for about 3-4 days and then it's time for the bloat again.
  • gember85
    gember85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I always bloat and gain a pound or 2 when it's my time then it goes after the first 2 days x
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I am more of a freak- my whoosh (about 3-4 lbs) happens during PMS (entirely water weight- not losing a lb of fat a day). Once my period starts, I start putting that water weight back on, it levels out for a while, and then I'll enter the next whoosh. Somewhere in there, as evidenced over time, I lose some actual weight, but that only becomes apparent over time with all the back & forth.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I don't count PMS weeks. I weigh, log and ignore. It's all water weight that hops on for the ride and then rushes out after. It's not really a true fat-loss 'woosh'. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's how it worked for me too. Lost 5 to 6 pounds pretty regularly the week after my period, then nothing for the next 3 weeks.
  • richmond2410
    richmond2410 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    funny, i usually lose a pound or two right before my monthly. Then it is my goal to keep it off during the next week, when i usually have cravings.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's how it worked for me too. Lost 5 to 6 pounds pretty regularly the week after my period, then nothing for the next 3 weeks.

That's good to know...ill have to keep that in mind in case I don't lose much in the next few weeks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,960 Member
    Options
    I gain a few days before and then I have a whoosh exactly 7 days after it started. This month was a net loss of 1.4 pounds.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

I lose 5-6 the week before, then nothing until a week before my next period.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

I lose 5-6 the week before, then nothing until a week before my next period.

Thank goodness! I really thought I must be the only one! A woman's body is certainly a crazy thing. :)