WINE

Options
Who loves wine? How do you fit it in especially when you know you will possibly drink a bottle over a period of time? Just keeping it real, like a long party or something.....don't judge!!

Replies

• C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I drink wine (or whiskey depending on my mood) most days. Most days I make it fit just by saving up some extra calories and picking wine over an evening or late night snack.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I love my wine! I learned a while ago that I can fit one glass a night most days of the week, OR one whole bottle once a week (I bank 100 cals a day until 500 is "saved" for the indulgent day). Not both, just doesn't fit my goals.

One bottle a week is my limit. How fast I consume it doesn't seem to matter for me.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love my wine! I learned a while ago that I can fit one glass a night most days of the week, OR one whole bottle once a week (I bank 100 cals a day until 500 is "saved" for the indulgent day). Not both, just doesn't fit my goals.

One bottle a week is my limit. How fast I consume it doesn't seem to matter for me.

This is what I'm finding, too. The past month I've been moderately drinking a couple nights a week (1-2 glasses of wine) plus drinking heavier one weekend night. Doing both has definitely slowed down my weight loss, so I'm going to try to go one or the other depending on my plans each week.
  • KetoYear
    KetoYear Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Suggestions on keeping a bottle of red fresh and tasting spectacular for a week or so after opening? I'm the only wine drinker in the house and though I'll still drink it - the open bottle loses something within a day. :(

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    KetoYear wrote: »
    Suggestions on keeping a bottle of red fresh and tasting spectacular for a week or so after opening? I'm the only wine drinker in the house and though I'll still drink it - the open bottle loses something within a day. :(

You can always get a wine pump. They're pretty cheap and they take the air out. They sell them on Amazon. I bought mine at publix
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Drink wine...love it. One glass like I had tonight easily fits in my calories.....a decent wine will easily last days/week if keep cold...not that bottles will last that long.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Wine is why the French are all so fat . . .
  • mountiesgirl
    mountiesgirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love wine if it were possible I would drink it often
  • mamakimkim
    mamakimkim Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If there is every something I know I will want to eat later in the day, I go ahead and log it in the morning so that all day I know how many calories I really have left. If you make it all about the calories, it is easy to fit in. You are either willing to eat less to drink as many glasses as you want, or you're not willing to eat less :smile:

On days when I know I'll be going to a party or drink a lot, I'll just plan to eat all of my super low cal foods (e.g., egg whites for breakfast, super low calorie vegetable soup for lunch, skip the hummus with my baby carrots, etc.), then skip dinner so I can graze at the party. I have found that intense exercise on days like those helps too. I've walked into parties with 800 calories left in my day, which felt very comfortable and unrestricted. For the everyday glass of wine, I make sure to budget enough calories to fit it in to my dinner.

• LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For those worried about a bottle going bad, try out a boxed wine. I know, I know, it seems ... low-brow, but my Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel lasts in the pantry for at least a month between me and my husband and the occasional friend who stops by. And it's delicious.

Ain't no shame in my game.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    wait, a bottle only has like 500-600 calories? My weekend just got MUCH better ;)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I love wine. I don't drink it often but all that matters is the calories, log it. I'm a wine hostess at a winery on the weekends and I love to have a half a glass or so at the end of the shift when we close the place down. Beautiful wine is something we should enjoy even while achieving our goals - if we are so inclined. No judging at all. Wine is beautiful paired with beautiful yummy foods.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    For those worried about a bottle going bad, try out a boxed wine. I know, I know, it seems ... low-brow, but my Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel lasts in the pantry for at least a month between me and my husband and the occasional friend who stops by. And it's delicious.

Ain't no shame in my game.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Trader Joe's has really great boxed wines, I especially like the cab. There's a designated place on my kitchen counter for it.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am drinking some tonight. On wine days I skip fruit or carbs to make room. Gotta live, having wine and sashimi for a night out!
  • kwohl
    kwohl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So funny, I just bought my favorite: Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon. It's great.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I drink wine most evenings, and getting in 30 min of intense exercise each day totally gives me the room I need in my calorie allotment. No exercise - no wine: that a big motivator!!!
  • w8lessinspace
    w8lessinspace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cab Sauv or Merlot are my favourites too - can you tell I'm from the uk - favourites, not favorites :).

I believe an average bottle is 570kCals. I try to walk during my lunchbreak everyday and average around 300Kcals, so over the week can easily burn 1500kcals which way more than covers my 'weekend indulgance'.
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Foetal alcohol syndrome causes devastating lifelong effects on babies of parents who drink even moderate amounts of alcohol. Please give up alcohol if there is any chance of becoming pregnant or making someone else pregnant.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    eh...if I'm cutting, I simply cannot fit a bottle of wine into my goals. I can do it now but I'm literally trying to gain weight and even then, it's definitely a decision I have to think about before I blow a few days worth of discretionary calories on wine.

When I'm in a deficit, 2-3 glasses is all I'm getting. That's the high end. I might do a little extra exercise for it, but probably not. I just have to make up for it elsewhere in my day over the course of that day, or even a couple days.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Foetal alcohol syndrome causes devastating lifelong effects on babies of parents who drink even moderate amounts of alcohol. Please give up alcohol if there is any chance of becoming pregnant or making someone else pregnant.

non sequitur.