Always hungry after lunch... WHY?!!!

Options
I have no idea why I'm always STARVING right after I eat lunch. I can even drink a whole bottle of water; it doesn't help. I'm seriously hungry. Any idea what's happening. I wasn't hungry until I ate.

Replies

• amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    Do you eat breakfast? On the days that I skip breakfast I have that problem. I'll be fine until lunch comes and then as soon as I start eating I don't want to stop. If I make sure to have breakfast though, I'm fine and eat my lunch and feel full.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    That sounds like me! I would eat lunch, aaaaand then just keep eating. I don't know what that's about, but I'm glad I managed to break the habit. I would have a glass of water just before eating, have lunch, have another glass of water, and then get out of the kitchen, leave the house if I had to. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get over it.
  • meggamix
    meggamix Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein?
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    you might need more protein and fiber
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    If i'm hungry after I eat, I eat some protein... I wish it wasn't true but often simple sugars (breads, sweet treats - low cal or not) inflame my hunger.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    You should try eating more protein and healthy fats. There are what makes you feel full. Also if your body isnt getting adequate nutrients like vitamins and minerals it will cause you to be ALWAYS hungry. I had this problem too until I cleaned up my diet and started eating high protein with lots of fruits and veggies and not avoiding healthy fats like avocado and nuts.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    slow down! I have that problem. I get so excited to eat i inhale everything. i would eat half your lunch, try and deter yourself for 15 minutes and then finish it. If THEN you are still hungry, you honestly just might need more food! :)
  • Seginns
    Seginns Posts: 39
    Options
    If you could open your diary temporarily so others can see it, we could offer better advice.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for lunch? Make sure you have a good balance of protein and fiber to keep you satisfied!
  • MrsAlleyJ
    MrsAlleyJ Posts: 7
    Options
    Fiber might help the full feeling otherwise it might just be that your body is craving carbs, something that it misses, if this is applicable. I used to have the SAME problem and now it is just a mental mind game i play with myself to try to get myself thinking about other things and less on the 'starving feeling.' I know you said no matter how much water but keep drinking it! It really sounds like a carb craving!
  • jersey0725
    jersey0725 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    slow down! I have that problem. I get so excited to eat i inhale everything. i would eat half your lunch, try and deter yourself for 15 minutes and then finish it. If THEN you are still hungry, you honestly just might need more food! :)
    Exactly! It takes your body 20 minutes to realise you ate something. So you might still be hungry right after lunch.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I had/have this problem, but there is a distinct pattern.
    First off let me say that I ALWAYS eat breakfast, and recommend that you do too.

I typically pack two different kinds of lunch: whole wheat pasta/brown rice and veggies, or wheat cereal. (I know, I'm really boring. Don't mimic my food choices if you have taste buds). The days I eat the pasta and veggies I am RAVENOUS by 2pm. I will try to snack on 1-2 servings of peanuts, but I am hungry until I get to dinner.
    But recently, I've been packing Post Wheat & Bran cereal. About 1-1.5 cups. I usually start snacking on this around 10:30/11am and keep going until about 1pm. This keeps me full until I get home for dinner.

The two things making the big difference are, I believe, all of the fiber in the cereal and the fact that I can just snack on it and eat it slowly. The cereal's pretty bland, but see if you can't find a similar food that you like and give it a shot.

(I sometimes buy skim milk to drink, but mostly I supplement with lots of water!)
  • ArtisticGlam
    Options
    I definitely get enough protein, but I will check pay attention to my fiber. Thanks for the advice.

The eating slowly probably is a another big one! I do "destroy" my lunch! lol.
  • ArtisticGlam
    Options
    I opened my diary for those who wanted to see. I'm open to comments and tips. And i'm still hungry. :( Like I'm about to get a hungry headache now. I'm trying to hold off until 3 for my afternoon snack.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    Just checked out your diary and those little frozen meals don't fill me up at all. I don't really know why but I do much better making a wrap sandwich or having a salad for the same calories?
  • ArtisticGlam
    Options
    Okay thanks! Yeah I switched from lean cuisines and healthy choice because that was like eating paper. I will try a meal from home for the rest of the week, so if it makes a difference. Thanks!
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    I agree. Switch to a 'home made" meal it will have a lot more vitamins, minerals and nutrients that are lost in processing and microwaving!