Personal training - need your motivational stories!!!

Options
lauraanne19862016
lauraanne19862016 Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I did it ya'll. I called today and made an appointment with a personal fitness trainer. This is a HUGE step for me. I am obese and hate the gym. I am terrified but nothing great ever happened by staying in your comfort zone. I have jumped out of a plane and was way less nervous. Any success stories to keep me motivated and convince me to keep my appointment!? Lol.

Also, does anyone who has a good bit of extra weight have experience with both cross fit and a private personal trainer that can give me a comparison? This is quite an investment and want to make sure it's worth it.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Jumping out of planes? Nothing should stop you now! Best wishes
  • lauraanne19862016
    Options
    Thank you @queenliz99!!
  • Famfitfood
    Famfitfood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauraanne I too was so nervous about signing up with a personal trainer - I had done a number of complimentary sessions in the past with different trainers and didn't feel they were the right fit for me. Until now, 4 weeks ago I started with an amazing personal trainer who is there for me 24/7 I can message her day and night and she is always willing to help me.

So make sure as you are making an investment, you are with a personal trainer that you get along with and is right for you and good luck.

Well doe for coming this far :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have the experience you are requesting, however it's from the trainers point of view as many of my clients are overweight/obese females. Feel free to PM me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you will love it, make it a lifestyle change. your weight doenst matter, in fact im a powerlifter and the bigger the better.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This was me the first week of January. I'd lost a ton of weight (80lbs) over the previous 8 months, but knew I needed to get into the gym for heart health, strength, and help getting the last 20lbs off. We've been YMCA members for awhile, so I went through them and first met with the trainer without working out at all. I was honest with my lack of fitness and experience in the gym, and my trainer said in many ways, that was great as I had few bad habits for her to correct.

I'm now meeting with her once a week, and doing 2-3 more workouts of lifting and 1-2 cardio days as well. My routine is I drop my kids off at school and head right to the gym. I'm down 20" (4" from my waist alone), 13lbs of fat, and gained 7 pounds of muscle so far. I feel good, I enjoy my workouts. She changes them up slightly every time we meet to keep me from getting bored and to keep my body guessing. I love her workouts far more than my cardio days, and am loving feeling confident and like I know what I'm doing in the gym.

You CAN do this, and I totally understand the fear and anxiety around the gym. If you don't mesh with your trainer, don't be afraid to ask to meet with and try someone else. I know that there are trainers at my gym who aren't my style, and that's ok. I think my initial meeting helped them figure out who would mesh best with my personality, motivation style, and training goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    As a PT by profession, you need not be nervous. Our job is to objectively help everyone we can with exercise and workouts that benefit you. I currently have 4 obese clients who felt a bit nervous, but after a couple of sessions now, we talk like we've been friends for years. We don't judge, we just assist. Everyone has to start somewhere and our goal is to get you to your goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above.
    I would keep in mind that most people at the gym are there to work out and so just go and put the work in and don't feel as if anyone is judging you!
    Good for you!
    :-)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Here's my story that should help with several of your questions. But whether or not it's "worth it" depends on what YOU choose to do with the opportunity and information your trainer gives you.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10296584/18-months-and-going-strong-w-pics/p1
  • lauraanne19862016
    Options
    Wow. Thank you all. Slowly but surely I'm Starting to get a little less nervous and a little more excited.