Losing Weight/Looking Older

Options
weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
Hello! Just curious about people out there over 35 who have lost weight. Do you feel you look older, even if you FEEL younger? I find myself worried about my neck and face aging.

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Definitely I feel/look younger.
    I feel is a result of my diet. I ate and exercised in a very targeted way, that was designed to reduce cortisol levels and normalize blood sugar levels.
    I don't think all diets are created equal, and each person and their dynamics are unique. You have to decide what will work for you!
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Nearly 44 here. I think my neck looks a little older due to a bit of loose skin, but my cheekbones more than make up for that!
  • weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I look older. I would rather look a little older and be a lot healthier.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I look older.

Me too, but in best shape for years. Used to be baby faced and wrinkle free!

• WSUDad1
    WSUDad1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just turned 50 in January and down 18 pounds. Feeling younger, looking younger and finally starting to feel a little extra room in some of my "every day" clothes.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Absolutely feeling younger. I am 55, I lost 85 pounds at age 50. Yes, we look older as we age. Being fit and trim makes us more youthful. The DEXA scan shows my bones are as healthy as a super fit 30 year old. What could be more proof of turning the clock back. Of course our skin is not as good as we age, it's part of the aging process. But the bounce in my step, the sparkle in my eye, and big huge smile overpower youthful skin any day. I'll take it until the end thank you.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Fat keeps the face and arms filled out. So, of course, I'm going to look older. On the other hand, my A1C was just over 6 last time and my knees almost never hurt any more. I have another ~50 pounds before I get to what I want but I'm feeling pretty happy and healthy.
  • lsabeIIe
    lsabeIIe Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, I lost about 40 lbs. My skin don't have the best elasticity... So I look older, neck and face. I also used to have a baby face.
    Yet, when I see myself in a picture now and I'm thinking "Wow, I'm not fat anymore!", I guess I rather look a bit older now than going back to where I was.
  • dfarina33
    dfarina33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am 50, and the lines on my face are more pronounced when I am thinner. I got down to my goal weight, and then decided to go up a few pounds because my wife told me I looked too gaunt.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have been struggling with this recently. I'm 44 and have lost about 55 pounds. I've done it slowly to try to avoid sagging skin, and I've been pretty successful at that, but now I really notice all the wrinkles in my face. Wow.

But oh well, I guess. The only other option is to gain back some weight and I don't want to do that as I'm only in the middle range of average BMI.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You'll never escape getting older or looking older. But if you want to look younger - you need to feel/act younger and in turn will look younger.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 pounds and my neck has aged. I wish I would have appreciated it when it was young and smooth. However, I'd much rather have lost the 100 pounds than died of some weight related illness where people would have said, damn she died from being over weight but look how good her neck looks.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »
    I've lost 100 pounds and my neck has aged. I wish I would have appreciated it when it was young and smooth. However, I'd much rather have lost the 100 pounds than died of some weight related illness where people would have said, damn she died from being over weight but look how good her neck looks.

^^this is a great response!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I feel like I look my age, but I have noticed in some people that losing weight did make them look older. And some looked younger...some (like me) seem to just look as old as they are. All my opinion of course. I'm 37.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, my face and neck do look older. But size 4/6 skinny jeans and fitted tops instead of matronly size 16 slacks and oversized blouses my body looks WAY younger, so it all evens out!
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 180lb and have been told I look much younger now :-) PicsArt_1439410198915_zpszejovnz0.jpg
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Oddly for me, I resembled my mother more when I was heavier, and resemble my father more now that I am leaner.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    45 here. No idea if I look older. I think I look (mostly) the same. No one's said anything.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Even if you look older at first, that will not last. I have a friend who lost a lot of weight and at first he looked quite a bit older. After several months things seemed to smooth out a bit. At almost 50 I really don't care if I look older or younger, I want the weight off so that I feel better and have more energy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!