Just some thoughts

Options
Just posting some thoughts that maybe some folks can relate too.

A couple of years ago when I started this journey I didn't even know I was on it. All I know is that I was totally fed up with my nutrition, or lack thereof, with my on and off again exercise program. I was totally happy in my life... a good job, good friends and all of that. Then one day something just made me snap and I decided to change absolutely everything about my nutritional and physical activity life-style. It all started with ordering a black iced coffee in the morning instead of my usual iced coffee with extra cream and sugar. It moved quickly from there. I spent hours researching nutritional labels, diet ideas, exercise programs. I started eating healthier options, started exercising daily, drinking tons of water. It was awesome. I less than a year and a half I lost 80LBS! It was the first time in my life I could walk into a clothing store and pick out clothing in size 1 and 0!

Over the past few years I have maintained my rigorous nutrition and exercise plan. Doing things physically that I never thought I'd be able to do. I found MMA... it made me stronger both mentally and physically. At one point I was down to 113 LBS! Way too thin for my height/built and level of activity. While I never actually went through a crash & burn phase as people told me I would I knew I had to re-think things. My body was not healthy at that weight and while it was awesome being that small... I didn't look good or healthy. I felt just ok. I transformed again, added weight lifting and changed my nutritional plan, I consciously and carefully put some weight back on. Once I hit 120, my body decided to remain there despite all-out efforts of trying to gain or lose.

I've learned a lot. I finally learned that we don't need to starve ourselves. Sure... it's still about the calories consumed vs. the calories burned but one can eat more and eat sensibly and still maintain or lose weight. I learned to love myself in my own skin and that was the biggie.

Losing my mother was difficult. All ideas of nutrition and watching what I ate went out the window. The only thing I continued to do was dance. Thank God for dance...

I learned that nutrition and exercise was and is my passion. I only wished that I figured this out years ago! But hey, it's never too late! I just received my nutrition consulting license and am working toward my holistic nutrition counseling license and I couldn't be happier!

Today, I stay between 120 to 125, always trying to shed those 5 vanity LBS. I like to stay around 120, it's where I feel the best. I've under eaten, I've over eaten, I've had days where I'm burning 3,000 exercise calories in a day (all day activities), I've had days where I just lay on the couch. I've had days where all I eat is veggies and fruit, I've had days where all I eat is carbs and sugar. I've been thrilled with my progress, I've been depressed with no progress. I've fasted, I've pigged out, I've felt good, I've felt guilty, I've binged, I've purged, I've had so much water that I gave myself H20 poisoning, I've had so much alcohol that I've woken up swollen and puffy the next day. I've weighed myself everyday, sometimes a few times a day, I've weighed myself one a week, I've gone months without weighing myself. In the end I've learned that in order to keep things moving and grooving in a healthy way, I need to change things up either nutritionally, exercise or both about every 30 days.

Today, I feel good, I look good, I am at a healthy weight and I vary my activities weekly. I eat sensibly and even have a treat (usually chocolate) every single night.

Maybe this post should be in a different forum I'm not sure. What I really wanted to say to those of you who are struggling is... keep working toward your goals. Don't give up. Remember... you are human and have human emotions and it's completely normal to feel them and to act upon them. Don't buy into hype. Just because someone says something works doesn't mean it will work for you. Do your own research and find that thing that will work for you and within your lifestyle. There is no magic involved here and it takes time. If you're overweight, initially you'll lose quickly but once your body gets to a healthy point it will be a real struggle to lose more. It can be done. Again... don't give up and in the meantime be patient and love yourself. Love what you do. A positive mind-set is the best way to lose weight :smile:

I hope this post helps someone today.

Replies

• mustangEvie
    mustangEvie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Mind over matter, I know that I am my worst enemy and biggest critic. It is my mind that sometimes betrays me and tells me to go ahead and eat all the food because I have been and always will be fat. :neutral: I struggle to maintain patience and stay the course. Its great to hear from others who have succeeded, so thanks again! :)
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I really needed to hear this right now. Thank you.
  • theJojoUK
    theJojoUK Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to read a positive perspective!
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

A couple of years ago when I started this journey I didn't even know I was on it. All I know is that I was totally fed up with my nutrition, or lack thereof, with my on and off again exercise program. I was totally happy in my life... a good job, good friends and all of that. Then one day something just made me snap and I decided to change absolutely everything about my nutritional and physical activity life-style. It all started with ordering a black iced coffee in the morning instead of my usual iced coffee with extra cream and sugar. It moved quickly from there. I spent hours researching nutritional labels, diet ideas, exercise programs. I started eating healthier options, started exercising daily, drinking tons of water. It was awesome. I less than a year and a half I lost 80LBS! It was the first time in my life I could walk into a clothing store and pick out clothing in size 1 and 0!

Over the past few years I have maintained my rigorous nutrition and exercise plan. Doing things physically that I never thought I'd be able to do. I found MMA... it made me stronger both mentally and physically. At one point I was down to 113 LBS! Way too thin for my height/built and level of activity. While I never actually went through a crash & burn phase as people told me I would I knew I had to re-think things. My body was not healthy at that weight and while it was awesome being that small... I didn't look good or healthy. I felt just ok. I transformed again, added weight lifting and changed my nutritional plan, I consciously and carefully put some weight back on. Once I hit 120, my body decided to remain there despite all-out efforts of trying to gain or lose.

I've learned a lot. I finally learned that we don't need to starve ourselves. Sure... it's still about the calories consumed vs. the calories burned but one can eat more and eat sensibly and still maintain or lose weight. I learned to love myself in my own skin and that was the biggie.

Losing my mother was difficult. All ideas of nutrition and watching what I ate went out the window. The only thing I continued to do was dance. Thank God for dance...

I learned that nutrition and exercise was and is my passion. I only wished that I figured this out years ago! But hey, it's never too late! I just received my nutrition consulting license and am working toward my holistic nutrition counseling license and I couldn't be happier!

Today, I stay between 120 to 125, always trying to shed those 5 vanity LBS. I like to stay around 120, it's where I feel the best. I've under eaten, I've over eaten, I've had days where I'm burning 3,000 exercise calories in a day (all day activities), I've had days where I just lay on the couch. I've had days where all I eat is veggies and fruit, I've had days where all I eat is carbs and sugar. I've been thrilled with my progress, I've been depressed with no progress. I've fasted, I've pigged out, I've felt good, I've felt guilty, I've binged, I've purged, I've had so much water that I gave myself H20 poisoning, I've had so much alcohol that I've woken up swollen and puffy the next day. I've weighed myself everyday, sometimes a few times a day, I've weighed myself one a week, I've gone months without weighing myself. In the end I've learned that in order to keep things moving and grooving in a healthy way, I need to change things up either nutritionally, exercise or both about every 30 days.

Today, I feel good, I look good, I am at a healthy weight and I vary my activities weekly. I eat sensibly and even have a treat (usually chocolate) every single night.

Maybe this post should be in a different forum I'm not sure. What I really wanted to say to those of you who are struggling is... keep working toward your goals. Don't give up. Remember... you are human and have human emotions and it's completely normal to feel them and to act upon them. Don't buy into hype. Just because someone says something works doesn't mean it will work for you. Do your own research and find that thing that will work for you and within your lifestyle. There is no magic involved here and it takes time. If you're overweight, initially you'll lose quickly but once your body gets to a healthy point it will be a real struggle to lose more. It can be done. Again... don't give up and in the meantime be patient and love yourself. Love what you do. A positive mind-set is the best way to lose weight :smile:

I have read many posts over the past month on mfp. Some negative, more positive, but this is awesome! Just a realistic, joyous view of the journey we are all on. Thank you so much for sharing your passion.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Good to read

I hope you are in as healthy a place as you sound and your eating sensibly includes eating adequate net calories

:)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I am so happy this helped in some small way. My number one priority in life is to help and/or inspire just one person every day. If I can do that, I feel successful :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Good to read

I hope you are in as healthy a place as you sound and your eating sensibly includes eating adequate net calories

:)

Yes. I am really getting there. It's the mind-set that has to change first. Thanks for your help and support along the way.
  • Raramama95
    Raramama95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! it was very helpful to read. Since January I have been gaining/losing the same 5 lbs. every week/weekend (gaining during the weekend, losing during the week) so it was helpful to know that you have been successful yet gone through the same things I have (i.e. working out, laying on the couch, eating healthy, eating crap, etc). Knowing that you have been successful makes me want to focus more and I read this just in time for the weekend! It will help keep me motivate to push through the weekend doing the "right things" and enjoying it while I'm doing it! :)
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Great read.

Here are some positives that I have experienced since I started eating better & moving my body @ the gym.
    Tons of energy
    Clothes fit better
    Better focus
    Breathing improved
    Apetite controlled
    Will power improved (I just say no to junk-food)
    Sleep much better
    Better over-all attitude

Only down-side is I wish I would have done this years ago... :)

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The OP is such a wonderful affirmation of the power of one individual to change their world. It reflects the commitment and passion to do so, and even with the ups and downs, the joy of success. What a great story!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Oh this makes me so happy that it was taken as a positive message, as I had hoped! :smile: When it comes to the whole weight loss and nutrition thing I like to say: My house has many rooms, I occupy but a few, the rest go unvisited. :smile:
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Helpful to me as well. I've gained back a few pounds recently and just cannot seem to find the motivation or discipline to log, weigh and count calories again. I will start again now, maybe with a smaller deficit that's easier, but at least a deficit.