Foam Roller - After a workout?

Options
dxtra30
dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
Anybody use a Foam Roller after working out? If so does it really help? What kind do you use?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    I use mine before my workout and on off days. Yes, it helps.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I do a quick stretch and roll out on leg and back days and then after lifting I do a long stretch and roll out again. And yes I'd say it helps.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    yes. before or after workout, doesnt matter. i just use a basic foam one or the piece of 4" PVC pipe that my gym has. doesnt need to be fancy. but like anything else in the fitness world, you can spend as much as you like.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    IT FEELS SO GOOD
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I adore mine. Can't wait to get home from work today so I can roll out my back after today's volume fest.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Roll before and after. Always.
  • danacondah
    danacondah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I roll before my workouts as a warm up, and after my workout as well. Typically foam rolling can be painful when starting out. If done regularly though it not only begins to feel GOOD, but is also great for your body in terms of decreasing injury, increasing blood flow, and improving recovery after a tough workout.
  • dxtra30
    Options
    WOW - Great Responses. Thank you all
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, you say it works. What does it do for you? I have seen them but are unsure what they do.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    SIMAKRA wrote: »
    Hi, you say it works. What does it do for you? I have seen them but are unsure what they do.

They are a form of self myofascial release like a good massage that works out the knots and adhesion in your muscles. Doing it before a workout loosens up the knots letting the muscles work more freely, and after, the same thing helping recovery.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I try to roll in between lifting and cardio. It really helps with soreness in my hamstrings.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    SIMAKRA wrote: »

They are a form of self myofascial release like a good massage that works out the knots and adhesion in your muscles. Doing it before a workout loosens up the knots letting the muscles work more freely, and after, the same thing helping recovery.

Thanky rileysowner

• AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I roll with a PVC pipe before I workout. It feels amaaaaazing.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    There are so many products (foam rollers) out there for purchase. I just use a basic light blue foam roller and also a "handheld" roller (looks like a rolling pin) that allows for more manipulation in tight spots.

Trigger Point ( https://www.tptherapy.com/ ) has great products and so many varieties, for example, there are rollers with built in "ridges" or "grooves" and a lot of athletes like them. Easy to travel with etc..

It's certainly a recovery standard and saves money if you can't get a professional massage every single day like the pros. It is necessary for movement fluidity and injury prevention
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Of course it helps. I get (have?) piriformis syndrome and it's the only thing that keeps it at bay.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yes I have one. I was having high hamstring issues after step aerobics and rolling my butt and hamstrings fixed the problem. Now I roll the area before each workout to loosen it up, and again afterwards.
  • _angee
    _angee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes! I foam roll during a warmup after some a light jog and I also foam roll afterwards. It really helps with my scoliosis and I find that recovery time is a lot faster after weights :)
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Love my foam roller. I use it before my runs to loosen up(specifically my calves) and also afterwards. I actually look forward to it. This link has a lot of the popular ones and my favorites...
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/how-to-use-a-foam-roller
  • InsaneMontae
    InsaneMontae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    dxtra30 wrote: »
    Anybody use a Foam Roller after working out? If so does it really help? What kind do you use?

Before and after!! Life changing!!! I use the rumble roller and hyperice
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Thanks all for great responses.