Just started running!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm 20 years old and pretty overweight but today was my first day of couch to 5k and although I wanted to give up, I didn't! I'm super pumped for my next running session although I'm basically dead afterwards, heh.

Replies

• Cementite
    Cementite Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Stay focused and motivated! I'm on my 7th week of C25K and feeling like I can now run 4Km feels great! It's worth it! Keep the good work!
  • GonzoMcG
    GonzoMcG Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Stay focused, I graduated from c25k to running 10miles! I have a love/hate relationship with running, so after a couple months off I'm building up to 10k again. There is nothing like the achievement you feel when you finish a run!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Stick to it and you will be amazed by how quickly you are improving!
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Running can be mildly addictive if you give it time. One thing that always makes it seem easier is to do it in a supportive group environment. Consider checking out your neighborhood running store to see if they have group runs or clinics for beginning runners.

Also keep track and reward yourself for milestones. I keep a runners journal which records how far, how fast and how I felt during my runs. It can be helpful to reflect on your progress.

Keep going! It gets easier!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Take your time an build up slowly and be consistent.

When I started running I could barely get around the block without thinking I was going to die but I kept it up. I ran my first 5K at 52 (around 40 minutes) and have since gone on the half-marathons and Olympic distance duathlons.

Keep it up, you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I keep a runners journal which records how far, how fast and how I felt during my runs. It can be helpful to reflect on your progress.

Good advice! I've kept a log of my runs since I started including every time I restarted.

My advice to beginners, make sure you go SLOW. You want to jog not run. You should be able to keep up a conversation without gasping for breath. Speed will come later. Now you just want to get out there regularly and avoid injury.
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your start! Also agree with the advice @blues4miles gave you, don't rush things and enjoy the process!