Uh-oh. Is 1/2 cup cooked rice NOT the same as 4 oz?

Options
I thought I'd improve my measuring and read here that measuring solids was best done on a food scale; liquids in a cup. I was measuring rice in a measuring cup. But the 1/2 cup if rice in the measuring cup seemed a lot less than the 4oz of rice on the scale. Am i doing this correctly?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    1/2 C of cooked rice for me is 75 grams = 2.65 ounces.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Probably. There are alot of foods which will weigh much more than the measured serving would suggest. You can smoosh alot of rice into 1/2 cup.

Inversely, there are also some foods which you will get more of....shredded cheese being one for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can't measure solids with volume measurements.

4 ounces is not the same as 4 fluid ounces.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Probably. There are alot of foods which will weigh much more than the measured serving would suggest. You can smoosh alot of rice into 1/2 cup.

Inversely, there are also some foods which you will get more of....shredded cheese being one for me.

Yes, I got a lot more sunflower seeds using the scale than I did when I used the cup.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Rice is one of those foods that should be weighed - before cooking. It will weigh different amounts depending on how much water it has absorbed.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Unless what you are weighing/measuring is water. ;)
  • ritzbits190
    ritzbits190 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

^This
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

^^^ this.. my 1 cup rice tend to range between 130g - 200 g depending on how i smoosh them in.. lol..
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I'm dense! So does that mean I should or shouldn't use the food scale for the rice? And if so, I should've used grams as a measure - not oz? I saw 1/2 cup and figured oh, that's 4 oz.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    I'm dense! So does that mean I should or shouldn't use the food scale for the rice? And if so, I should've used grams as a measure - not oz? I saw 1/2 cup and figured oh, that's 4 oz.

You use a food scale, preferably before cooking the rice. And grams is the most accurate measure for solids.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Four fluid ounces is half a cup, but the unit of mass called an ounce is 28 grams, rounded off. I'd measure out the half cup serving you want, then weigh it to determine your standard serving in grams. Then find a database entry for cooked rice that records the amount in either grams or 100 grams. Metric makes the math easier.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Because volume and weight measurements are different. A half cup is 4 fluid oz, or volume measurement. But the weight will be another matter.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

4 ounces of what?

4 ounces of liquid is not the same as 4 fluid ounces? :)
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options

4 ounces of what?

4oz for solid foods is not the same as 4oz for liquids. They're saying stop using measuring cups for solid foods like rice--use the scale and use grams. Use the measuring cups for liquids.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    zira91 wrote: »

^^^ this.. my 1 cup rice tend to range between 130g - 200 g depending on how i smoosh them in.. lol..
    xLyric wrote: »

4 ounces of what?

4oz for solid foods is not the same as 4oz for liquids. They're saying stop using measuring cups for solid foods like rice--use the scale and use grams. Use the measuring cups for liquids.

Now I'm confused!

I thought cup, oz was also a weight measurement unit. Why the vary?
    (I'm reminded of a childhood riddle. Which is heavier: 1 kg of iron or 1 kg of cotton?)

----from googling...
    Cup To Gram Conversions
    Cups Grams Ounces
    1/4 cup 85 g 3 oz
    1/3 cup 113 g 4 oz
    1/2 cup 170 g 6 oz
    2/3 cup 227 g 8 oz
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    zira91 wrote: »

xLyric wrote: »

4 ounces of what?

Now I'm confused!

I thought cup, oz was also a weight measurement unit. Why the vary?
    (I'm reminded of a childhood riddle. Which is heavier: 1 kg of iron or 1 kg of cotton?)

----from googling...
    Cup To Gram Conversions
    Cups Grams Ounces
    1/4 cup 85 g 3 oz
    1/3 cup 113 g 4 oz
    1/2 cup 170 g 6 oz
    2/3 cup 227 g 8 oz

Or the mfp version....which weighs more? Fat or muscle? :)

Weigh 3 oz of orange juice from a measuring cup and see if it equals 85 grams on the scale. Or 3 oz of any cereal. Measuring cups for liquids. Scale for solids.
  • jeslynn24
    jeslynn24 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh shoot boo...then I've been doing it wrong all this time :o:/
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

4 ounces of what?

Not necessarily.

4 oz of water is close enough to 4 fl oz to be considered equal. (It's actually 0.9587 oz/fl oz)
    4 oz of molasses ... not so much.

Solid items really should never be measured by volume, but for some things you can get decent consistency. Not with squishy or irregularly shaped things (cooked rice, chopped veg, etc) because the packing of the measuring vessel is not consistent.

4 oz measures weight.
    4 fl oz measures volume.
    An oz measures the same as a fl oz if the density of the liquid is 1 oz/fl oz
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Also make sure the label states if the serving size is dry or cooked. I weighed 2oz of dry spaghetti the other night on my food scale and it was about 5oz cooked.