New here. How do you stay motivated?

Options
Hello loves. I definitely need help with motivating. I want to lose 30-50 pounds so I can get my confidence back! Tell me what gets you motivated. ♡

Replies

• mellyboobear
    mellyboobear Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I first started here it was a class assignment. Then i got addicted to it because i saw my totals keep going into the red...
    then when they started remaining in the green i saw myself losing weight... then it's been game on since then xD once your body starts to change, youll stick with this and it'll become a second nature to you:) best of luck on your journey!
  • daniellejacobs714
    daniellejacobs714 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I walk 5-8 miles a day. Never realized that by keeping a food journal it would prevent me from snacking and make me think twice about what I eat. Sure I heard of it, but this app really motivates me to keep with it. Been on here ten days and lost 4 pounds! Looking to lose about thirty more. If anyone would like to add me, I'd love to go on the journey with you!!
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Logging my food and exercise. Accomplishing something new and the gym and then wanting to beat it. Logging into MFP and seeing all of my friends up and downs, and knowing that they have my back when I have a bad day and I got theirs. Feel free to add me as a fiend if you want.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Motivation for me...I was finally at that point where it felt like, 'Okay, I am either going to accept where I am at now (slightly overweight) - something that causes me upset and frustration or I can really do something about this.' I am turning 30 this year and wanted to be 130 lbs by my 30th. I have set very reasonable calorie goals. I eat 1800 a day (on average). I set small goals, e.g. thinking of it as losing a pound at a time. If I had started out thinking, "I need to lose 30 pounds!", that would have felt like a huge challenge. A pound at a time...that felt do-able. I weigh every single day - I find that very motivating. I didn't rush. I took week long vacations and did not log but got right back on track when I was home. I started to feel good as I started to lose and that was motivation in and of itself. It has taken me 8 months to lose 30 pounds. I now find it is self-perpetuating. I am so pleased with how I look and I feel. I don't want to go back. In the past, I never had thoughts on maintenance either. Knowing about maintenance makes it feel like it's going to be ongoing, not something I can just 'do' and then stop doing, if that makes sense. Also, the forums are huge motivation for me, especially at night when I'd tend to want to be snacking...I instead peruse the forums. Overall, you have to really want it and be in the head space where you are willing to commit. You have to be willing to continue to experiment and try different things until you find what will work for you. Good luck! x
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this motivation thing for decades and never have gotten anywhere with it. In the end I just had to start and to see results. Once I really knew it was possible, that's all it took. It's about what I do, not how motivated I feel. It's kind of like, was I motivated to earn a living? Well, I wasn't prepared to starve, so I went to work and drew a paycheck. I guess that was a background motivation, but getting up and going to work every day wasn't a question of "motivation."
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think what motivates me is 1) enjoying the workout that I have chosen for myself and 2) my reflection in the mirror - the hard work paying off. It helps to take progress photos. Also, I am not really in a hurry. Sure, I want to lose the weight but I still enjoy the things I like in moderation (probably too much moderation). So, for me, it's not torture. It's just my life. Also, I did some math and I realized that if I gain only 1lb a month - by the end of the year, I would have gained 12lbs! that's a lot - especially for a shortie like me at 5'0. That can quickly add up to 24lbs in 2 years. I just cant allow that to happen. So, some of my motivation is staving off the weight to be healthy and it gives me confidence to feel good about myself. My self-esteem is in the dumps when I am not striving to live healthy and that effects me and everyone around me. Anyway...(that was therapeutic)....that's my motivation. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ditto. All of these comments are GREAT advice!
    How badly do you want it? If you want it badly enough, you will do it, learn the process, and the results keep you going. If you don't want it badly enough, no one can motivate you. It's hard work--but very doable--and you have to be willing to do the work.
  • sailbee123
    sailbee123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to having a support group. I just turned 58 and I'm tired of feeling out of shape. Hoping this helps keep me on track.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with back pain do to arthritis since 08. It really had me down. I know have the pain under some control. I won a free session with a personal trainer at my gym. That's the motivation I needed. I signed up for a year, and sm better then I have in a long time. What keeps me motivated is my progress. Rather if it's my weight loss, appearance, or progress in the gym. For me, the hardest part is sticking with my nutrition. I just try to keep my focus on my goals, not food.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Looking at "before" pictures. I was losing a little bit of faith and motivation today until I put these two photos side-by-side. One is from Christmas and when I took today will trying on some new clothes. I didn't know that 20 pounds had made such a difference. 6gdj0xct03iz.jpeg
  • crisnacontaoi
    crisnacontaoi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey there! What keeps me motivated is being able to be healthy & feeling comfortable with myself. I have 2 nephews & 2 nieces & 1 on the way. I want to be able to be active with them outside without being out of breath.
    Feel free to add me! We can motivate each other along the way! :)
  • lilylavender01
    lilylavender01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym with my husband. I need to lose 20 pounds to get my confidence back. I tried going to the gym alone and I lost motivation. Now, I'm in 2 weeks and still going strong. The 1st week was my hardest but things are better now that I know how to use the machines and the right times to increase weight, reps and sets. Everything has been trial and error. But if you have that need for your confidence back, don't let anything get in your way and just push thru it! Help and support from friends is also a huge motivation strength for me!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    The thought of not losing or succeeding hurt me more than staying fat.

Then during my weight loss I found fitness goals. There is no end in sight:)
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Inside out. Always compete against yourself.