Under eat

Options
Don't under eat. Keep proteins at least 100grams a day! You may need more and you can eat that and not put on weight. It's not a race to see how little you can eat.

Basic nutrition of lean protein, complex carbs, (oats, sweet potato, and veggies) healthy fats from nuts and avocado plus similar whole unprocessed foods at your calorie needs and no more-and NO LESS than that 1200-1700 calorie deficit.

It's great when you consume no empty calories (sugars, fried, condiments) and still lose weight and eat real food!

Replies

• acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Oats are processed food, FYI.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    CICO
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    acidosaur wrote: »
    Oats are processed food, FYI.

They are "processed", but so are things like chicken, rice, milk, nuts, apples. Pretty much everything we buy in a grocery store has had some kind of processing, if you want to get technical about it.

If you're looking for the least amount of processing, then steel cut oats are the best choice. They are still toasted to prevent spoiling, but aren't steamed and flattened like rolled oats.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Why exactly do you think I need 100g of protein per day? I have plenty of muscle mass and strength and I rarely get anywhere near that.

While I think it's good to get most of your calories from un/min processed foods, a well balanced diet can include processed foods and sugars and fat.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Why exactly do you think I need 100g of protein per day? I have plenty of muscle mass and strength and I rarely get anywhere near that.

While I think it's good to get most of your calories from un/min processed foods, a well balanced diet can include processed foods and sugars and fat.
    If you are maintaining your current muscle mass .5g per pound of body weight is usually good. To gain .8 to 1 gram is the ticket.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Don't under eat. Keep proteins at least 100grams a day! You may need more and you can eat that and not put on weight. It's not a race to see how little you can eat.

Basic nutrition of lean protein, complex carbs, (oats, sweet potato, and veggies) healthy fats from nuts and avocado plus similar whole unprocessed foods at your calorie needs and no more-and NO LESS than that 1200-1700 calorie deficit.

It's great when you consume no empty calories (sugars, fried, condiments) and still lose weight and eat real food!

Your random calorie numbers mean nothing. Mfp tells you exactly how many calories to eat. The only time they aren't correct is when men need to net below 1500 and woman need to meet below 1200.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    No condiments? Why?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

If you are maintaining your current muscle mass .5g per pound of body weight is usually good. To gain .8 to 1 gram is the ticket.

I have no desire to gain muscle mass but that sounds like a lot of protein. Where does that come from? Is it the same for everyone? Everyone that eats 1g per pound of body weight will gain muscle mass at the same rate?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

It's even greater when you eat anything and everything you want (in moderation, within the context of an overall balanced diet) and still lose weight/reduce bodyfat!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Flexibility is where it's at.

Down with arbitrary rules!
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Flexibility is where it's at.

Down with arbitrary rules!

+1

I feel just fine eating "processed" and "empty" foods - plus the "unprocessed" food. My balance works for me.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

What if I'm a 4'6", 60 year old, 105 lb lady, do I still need 100 grams a day??

No, it's really not, I like salt & vinegar on my chips to make them great and is my pizza not real food? Am I imagining it's there? If so, wonderful, it won't have any calories in it! :D

I think I kind of know what you are trying to get at, but most of what you are saying is NOT necessary for successful weight loss. One size does NOT fit all and one plan does NOT suit everyone. Being so general is really not that helpful. :(
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have no desire to gain muscle mass but that sounds like a lot of protein. Where does that come from? Is it the same for everyone? Everyone that eats 1g per pound of body weight will gain muscle mass at the same rate?

The general rule is when you are bulking to put on muscle mass you eat .6-1g of protein per pound of LBM (Lean body mass) not per pound of total body weight. So like I have around 120# of LBM at 150# of TBW. That would mean protein for me to build muscle in a bulk would be 72-120g of protein a day not 90-150g.

Also no not everyone will build at the same rate. It will depend on your workout. You want to do strength training with progressive loads. Also women and men don't develop muscle mass at the same rate in general.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »

The general rule is when you are bulking to put on muscle mass you eat .6-1g of protein per pound of LBM (Lean body mass) not per pound of total body weight. So like I have around 120# of LBM at 150# of TBW. That would mean protein for me to build muscle in a bulk would be 72-120g of protein a day not 90-150g.

But where do these "rules" come from? What is the variation from person to person? Does it vary by gender?
  • HutchA12
    edited March 2016
    Options

But where do these "rules" come from? What is the variation from person to person? Does it vary by gender?

The rules come from a combination of studies done on protein intake. That didn't see a difference in mass built based on protein consumption in those number ranges. I edited my previous post. There will be differences between gender, general work load and such. The muscle that can be put on is in ranges. I don't remember the exact #s of the top of my head for gender differences but I think it's women .5-1# per month men 1-2#

Below is a link to MFP gaining top threads for bulking. It goes off TBW instead of LBM but it also assumes you are around 15% BF for men and equivalent for women so the difference between LBM and TBW isnt that great.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners/p1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The rules come from a combination of studies done on protein intake. That didn't see a difference in mass built based on protein consumption in those number ranges. I edited my previous post. There will be differences between gender, general work load and such. The muscle that can be put on is in ranges. I don't remember the exact #s of the top of my head for gender differences but I think it's women .5-1# per month men 1-2#

Below is a link to MFP gaining top threads for bulking. It goes off TBW instead of LBM but it also assumes you are around 15% BF for men and equivalent for women so the difference between LBM and TBW isnt that great.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners/p1

I have no interest in bulking. I admit to only glancing over the link you provided and the link within that link (TL:DR) but I didn't see any links to actual data on the subject.

It's not a big deal. As I said, I have no interest in building more muscle mass. I was just wondering where all this much touted Xg of protein per whatever comes from, especially for maintaining mass. It doesn't seem to match my experience.
  • HutchA12
    Options

I have no interest in bulking. I admit to only glancing over the link you provided and the link within that link (TL:DR) but I didn't see any links to actual data on the subject.

It's not a big deal. As I said, I have no interest in building more muscle mass. I was just wondering where all this much touted Xg of protein per whatever comes from, especially for maintaining mass. It doesn't seem to match my experience.

Maintaining is different. For that the numbers are .36 per pound its in this study (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=182114) but its behind a pay wall. In it they also say that you may need increased those numbers based on possible age and such. But yeah maintaining isn't as high.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options

1 - Where did this number come from? It is not exactly the same from cradle to grave, men and women, different fitness regimes etc. Who is this number aimed at?

2 - You can eat that and not gain weight as long as you do not go over on calories, CICO!

3 - I'm sorry, does that say a deficit of 1200+ calories? That is way higher than any numbers I've seen, in terms of a healthy deficit or have I misread?

4 - It is, but as long as they are logged accurately, having that stuff is also nice.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

There are tons of studies that look at different in ages, protein levels and training regimes to determine maximum efficiency to sustain muscle. And it's more like .8g to 1g during weight loss. In fact, one should pay attention to protein more during weight loss, because if you are bulking, it's easy to get enough protein.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10334013/protein-intake-for-highly-trained-natural-weight-lifters-during-caloric-deficit#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823505/research-on-protien-intake

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/869015/fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

How'd you come up with 100 grams?