Belly Dance

Options
Are there any belly dancers active in The MFP community? I fell in love with belly dance 8 years ago when I attended a workshop. I took lessons for about a year, and even danced in a recital! I've fallen out of practice since I stopped taking classes ( it was 60 miles away, and gas was too expensive). I'd like to add friends who love belly dance and integrate it into their fitness routine :)

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I do it for fitness :) I have never been nearly good enough to dance in a recital, lol. But I can do belly rolls! I think it's a wonderful form of exercise.

I started because I couldn't do most ab exercises at the time because of a neck problem. It's not only great for abs, but it taught me how to isolate body parts. I use that skill to do so many more exercises than I used to by relaxing my bad parts while working something else. That's been a mini miracle in my ability to train :)
  • BellyDncr
    BellyDncr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new here to MFP but have been belly dancing for many years, taught belly dance as well as danced in a professional troupe. When I started dancing I was 200 lbs, but along with healthier eating I was able to get to my goal weight last year of 145! I will admit that over the last year I took some time off dancing as well as being more lax in my eating habits and managed to gain 20lbs back. But starting 2 weeks ago I'm back at it. Along my weight loss journey though belly dance has been an integral part of my success. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
  • mslisatm
    mslisatm Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been belly dancing on and off for 20 years. Since moving to a rural area classes have been tough to find so I just dance alone at home. I love it! It is fun and sensual and great exercise! I have found a few online resources and DVDs that I like too.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love to belly dance. Used to take classes but now just do it for fun and exercise.
  • kasifrass
    kasifrass Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been dancing for four years! I took some time off when I had my daughter... and then a back injury... and now my second daughter... but I'm looking forward to dancing and performing again later this year! I used to be part of a tribal troupe and we performed frequently. Looking forward to learning ATS and getting back into costuming!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Belly dance is so much fun and since I have a lot of belly why not!! I do it for fun, at home and I have several workouts and more that I do online. I also a do Ballet but the school I was going to was to highbrow for me so I'm hoping in the fall to find a new place or, maybe just drive the 30 miles to my old school and keep going there with people I love as much as dance!!
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As someone that is interested but has no schools nearby, are there any dvds/videos anyone recommends for learning?
  • robinfinnell
    robinfinnell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! :)

I'm a belly dance instructor and performer. I've been dancing for 15 years and teaching for 9, and was also the highest-rated instructor in the Chicago area before I moved to TX in January.

Now I teach and perform in the San Antonio, TX area (NE side). I also am putting out a series of class videos if you're interested. Once you purchase the video, you get the link and it's yours forever, no subscriptions.

Here's my website: www.serafinadances.net
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So excited to find you all here! I love belly dance too! I have been dancing all my life but slowed down recently due to work stress. I need to make more dancing time in my life! I used to teach and dance professionally. Now I dance at home and I miss all my dancing friends. Please add me !!! Belly dance healed me in many ways, and is a life long ally for women around the world. Love to you all!
  • tfernan
    tfernan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to take belly dancing lessons and I loved it!! Unfortunately I moved to another city where the classes are VERY expensive! I recently found a great website that offers free lessons, so I'll try that out :smile: when I graduate I hope to attend some local live classes
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I just took up belly dancing in the late fall, and I really enjoy it. That belly roll is quite an ab workout. I can't perform, but it's great fun to be in a class with several women who are enjoying themselves and celebrating their bodies.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've done belly dancing off and on for almost 10 years. I've been in a few group haffla, done Shimmy Mob, etc...I wouldn't presume to say I'm any good, but I enjoy it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    <WAVES>HI

Pro dancer of 10 years here.

If you're feeling saucy- my IG is brickhousebellydance- so lifting- dancing- make up and cats.