Alcohol.

Options
I don't drink much as it is (maybe twice a month) but how do all of you manage your alcohol calorie count if you wanna have fun for a weekend? I know alcohol sabotages your calorie intake.

Replies

• Demed70
    Demed70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as well. I usually stick to wine and hard liqueur such as Whiskey or Vodka.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I only drank a couple of times per month, I really wouldn't worry about it at all. I don't drink during the week, but I drink every weekend...it's never halted my progress any...having some drinks on a Saturday night is pretty negligible to the big picture.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have to abstain from it altogether since I do not drink in moderation and the calories do not help my weight loss.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I drink something that I can track accurately (i.e. beer), unless I'm home and can actually measure things myself. I also make sure to eat first so I don't end up with the drunken munchies, which is often more calories than the actual drinks! You could also try to save up a few hundred extra calories, or work out a little extra to make sure you're still at a deficit for the week.

Cheers!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    you have a couple of options. Work out really hard for the day and then save your extra calories for alcohol, or work really hard on a continual basis staying within your calorie goal and then once in a while let yourself go over with a few drinks. Really all of this is about learning moderation so drinking is part of that too. I have a drink now and then and usually just save calories on the days I want a drink or two
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I drank alcohol nearly every day while losing 30ish lbs. and I still do. I imagine I pass on sweets more often than someone that drinks less, but I'd rather have wine with dinner than ice cream after.
  • navybrat822
    navybrat822 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I go out I ask for a club soda with lime. I still feel like I have a drink in my hand without the empty calories. I've also done a half and half thing mixing 4oz of club soda with 4oz of Riesling or other white wine.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I accept that that day will be bad...and move on. As long as it is not happening all the time it won't sabotage your long term results. Probably once every two or three weeks I overindulge--last week it was 8 pints of IPA over an afternoon and long evening...I overshot my calories for the day by 3000 or so. Sure, for a day or two, my weight goes haywire with water weight, but then returns to the normal trend.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I just try to make it fit. I mostly drink in moderation so I drink what I like...which is craft beer. Caloriffic, but it has the added benefit of also making me very full. The harder part isn't absorbing the alcohol calories. It's making sure I make good food choices. When I imbibe too much I'll tend to order nachos and foods that put me way over my calorie goal.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it to weekends, but sometimes a beer or three end up happening during the week. If I know I have a big social outing or special occasion that I will be drinking, I try to be extra carful during the week and save up calories. I also try and workout a little harder and I don't skip the workout the next day. For me, I have to find balance, I enjoy having beers with friends and I am not willing to give it up. I lost over 100 pounds without giving it up completely, just cutting back.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just did some google research the other day, FWIW, on the topic of alcohol, since I normally have a beer or two at the end of a stressful day, and it helps my aches and pains. However I've been on a weight loss stall, or at least not losing as quickly as I want to.

Apparently its not so much the calories, as the fact that your body pretty much stops working on your fat loss to process the alcohol, and it can take quite awhile for it to finish processing all the alcohol depending on how much you drink, and during that time it's not processing fat.

https://prevention.gwu.edu/alcohol-absorption

The conclusion I came to was that it makes perfect sense. Back in the day some 12 plus years ago when I was fit and trim, I was able to exercise, eat in moderation and maintain or lose just fine. I only drank one night a week, I went out with friends on Saturdays, and I drank quite a bit on those Saturdays! But, I didn't even keep a 6 pack or a bottle of wine in the house, I was the definition of social drinker.

Now, since I'm "settled" and life got harder, and the peer pressure of my SO, I moved to a beer or two a night, in addition to a night out almost every week. No wonder I ballooned.

So, this week I'm not having those daily Lite beers. After 4 Guiness and 2 Lites on Sunday (Renaissance Faire), I've not had a thing. I've replaced my beer with a diet Ginger Ale, and the calories with actual food. I've not changed my workout routine. Since Sunday I've lost 1.5 pounds after having been stalled since January.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Break the association that fun must include alcohol. You can still enjoy a drink. Own the calories and log them. Don't have so many that you aren't keeping track.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    AlanahBeez wrote: »
    I don't drink much as it is (maybe twice a month) but how do all of you manage your alcohol calorie count if you wanna have fun for a weekend? I know alcohol sabotages your calorie intake.
    Manage?

in-soviet-russia-in-soviet-russia-v.jpg
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Miller 64. just cuz it fits in my calorie intake.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    drink and log honestly... get a good burn in the day of- or the day after if your not too tired.
    expect a lesser deficit for the week and hope it was worth it. lol
    I drink my wine often- just a glass or 2 every night a few nights a week and I save room for it. If Im going out Ill just forefit the deficit and usually end up at maintenance for the day- which i consider a wash.
    Just watch the foodies when drinking- thats what will get you.
    Not many drunk people hit the drive thru and order a salad. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I just did some google research the other day, FWIW, on the topic of alcohol, since I normally have a beer or two at the end of a stressful day, and it helps my aches and pains. However I've been on a weight loss stall, or at least not losing as quickly as I want to...

I've found work to be a lot less stressful now that I get in cardio at lunchtime. Usually I hike, but it's snowing so I think I am finally going to go checkout the skating rink.

• trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sometimes what I drink requires soda...to help with calories and sugar...I've switched to use a diet soda. I've also switched to a lower carb / calorie beer. And I'm think of doing more straight liquor rather than the mixed drinks, but I don't know if I can stand it.

I too, do not drink very often. 1-3 times a month. SO, I am not overly worried about it. I try to drinks lots of extra water too. I think if it is occasional , probably not a big deal. But just be honest and track what you drink and such...and then watch the numbers to see what happens.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm a weekend banker, partially for this reason. It helps that my drink of choice is bourbon, rocks.
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've recently cut out beer and turned to rum instead haha. A Captain and Diet with lime is only 86 calories :)