I can't stop eating

Options
I'm gonna talk to my doctor about VYVANSE? I heard it can help me stop overeating. I'm 35. 6-3 , 300 lb.

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Amphetamines are great for weight loss. Not sure they're a really great way to develop healthy eating and fitness habits though.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. Try Overeater's Anonymous.
  • mamakimkim
    mamakimkim Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am doing a physician-assisted weight loss program. Vyvanse looks like it's not indicated for weight loss--since weight loss is not on the FDA label, it means that your doctor can't legally prescribe it to you for weight loss and he/she could lose his/her license if prescribing for something other than its indication, which looks like ADHD.

With that said, there are FDA-approved weight loss drugs--I am currently being prescribed Diethylpropion, which is an appetite suppressant. The program I'm doing (LeanMD), combines the appetite suppressant with an eating regimen (which is pretty easy--low carb, lots of veggies and portion control on the protein--I'm eating 1,000-1,200 calories per day). The idea is to do it for no more than 12 weeks, achieve significant weight loss, and emerge with such a different body that you have redefined your caloric needs, and your habits around frequency and quantity of eating.

It is really working. I've lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks and it's been super easy. Not being hungry has made a HUGE difference. My problem has never been discipline--I was easily sticking to 1,700 calories per day, but it just wasn't a low enough calorie count for me to lose significant weight (my metabolic need at that weight was only about 1,900 calories per day). Before, I was losing weight slowly and backtracking every time I went on a business trip or got an injury, etc. Right now, I am three pounds lighter than the lowest weight I have been in almost a year.

For me, losing so much weight and seeing my body changing and feeling my smaller clothes fit is huge motivation. When I yo-yo up and down I feel like I can never lose the weight. I feel like it will be easier for me to keep it off if I am in different clothes and see someone different in the mirror...
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a couple of meals each day which include a wide variety of vegetables and some grains e.g. rice or wholemeal bread etc. That will feed the microbes in your lower gut. They will send a signal to your brain via your vagus nerve to say satisfied. Foods like white bread don't even reach that area so the microbes signal still hungry. Your hunger may also be a need to calm, heal and soothe yourself because life can be stressful and difficult at times. Going for a walk can help with that and so can meditation if done regularly. You may find it helps to relax your eyes and then your shoulders. Then have a feeling of openly welcoming nourishing goodness and calm into your life. That calm is the opposite of the repetitive stress of trying to get food to do more than it can do. Food can nourish you but exercise and meditation can restore your soul to the place where you feel like the real you again.
  • Marco2oll
    Marco2oll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rosemary.
    Kim, there is no way my white *kitten* can live on 1,700 calories. I would be grumpy and hangry like a snicker commercial
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Aiming for a 1 pound per week rate of loss your caloric expenditure for the day is probably somewhere around 2,000 calories. That's assuming you're *completely sedentary*. If you do a bit of light exercise on a daily basis (say, walk for a half hour per day), you can bump up that number maybe by another 200 calories or more, depending on how strenuous the exercise is.

Yes, you *can* live on that many calories. The whole reason why you're over 100 pounds overweight is that you've been living on **more** calories than you actually need to live.

Taking a medication won't teach you how to exist within your proper caloric allotment. You need to retrain yourself. You can do this.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You don't need to stop eating you just need to eat less than you burn off.

Food can only control you as much as you let it. Take the power back from it!

Have you tried logging what you eat now for a week? It would be a good place to start and should open your eyes where to cut back a bit.