Worried about loose skin

Options
I know this is a long while off, and may even seem a bit vain, but I'm generally worried about loose skin. I've got a lot of weight to lose. We are talking 150-200 pounds. I'm motivated to do this this time around, but don't know how I will deal with the loose skin situation when the time arrives. Surgery for it is sooooooo expensive. I want to be able to take my shirt off at the beach finally, and I feel like that will still not be an option for me.

Anyone that is going through that ordeal or has been through it that could offer some insight would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Not much to do except to keep your skin well hydrated use a cocoa butter and vitamin E lotion. Toning underlying muscle also helps a bit.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is way better than obese. I think much of it will will take care of itself, time will tell.
  • Cellphoneman123
    Cellphoneman123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely try that lotion.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Lotions do not actually help.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Loose skin is way better than obese. I think much of it will will take care of itself, time will tell.

^^Definitely this!
    I lost over 160#. Been on maintenance a little over 2 years. Loose skin tightens up some over time, but loose skin is 100X better than being obese. Genetics enters into the equation somewhat, as well. Lose the weight, trust me, you will not be sorry. Don't sweat the small stuff.

• jabberwocky918
    jabberwocky918 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've heard amazing things about castor oil (I personally hated it but doesn't hurt to research that). What's been working for me is LUSH salt scrub in shower and then BioOil as a base for this thick vitamin E lotion I get at Costco/Sam's. Hope you find your perfect method :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 lbs. I've gone from morbidly obese to a normal bmi. I have loose skin on my stomach. Yes, it bothers me a bit. But you know what would bother me more? Having that 80 lbs back on my body. I'd rather have loose skin than to go back to the way I was. It's a minor annoyance and most of the time I don't even think about it. I expect it'll tighten up some, but I can't, nor do I expect perfection.

Don't let it get in the way of your goals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You'll have loose skin, there's no way around it.

But it sure beats over 100 extra pounds of fat.
  • Cellphoneman123
    Cellphoneman123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. You guys are right. I'll just work on that when the time comes. Don't want to put doubt in my progress now. Thank you all.