Traveling on airplane

Options
I have a flight next week on Lufthansa airlines and I am extremely nervous. I am scared that The seat belt won't fit on me. My biggest fear is asking the flight attendant for a seat belt extender. After my kids I have a really low belly button. I have a space between my Breast and belly where maybe the seat beat may fit. I weigh around 230 and 5"4. When I put the measuring tape tightly around my belly where my belly button is it 49 in. A little bit about that is 44 in. Above that under my breast are 42 in. Should I just go ahead and buy an extender or will I probably be ok? I can fit into a size 18-20 US pants.

Replies

• WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't need an extender on a U.S. flight, but I'm not sure if Lufthansa is the same. I used to travel with a guy who weighed about 350 lbs. and always asked immediately and matter-of-factly for an extender. The flight attendant always gave it to him promptly and without comment or fuss. No one paid any attention. I'm not saying this to de-motivate any plan you may have to reduce, but this needn't be a bug-bear for you. If it's really bugging you, it would be best to buy your own extender in advance, but that shouldn't be necessary.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If no one else responds.. you might trying calling the airline and asking them. :+1:

• Annieway987
    Annieway987 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm your same height and, before my weight loss, weighed pretty much exactly what you weigh. I travel all over the world for work and never had to ask for an extender even at 230. Occasionally I was right at the full expansion of the seat belt, but I never needed an extender. You should be fine.

That being said, there is an enormous variation in length of seat belts and it is remotely possible you will get a really short one. I'm not sure calling the airline would help as I'm fairly certain that, even if they have a standard, it's not reliably followed. As Wendy said, just ask for one if you find you need it and it won't be a problem.
  • saramariep14
    saramariep14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm about your height and weight, I was travelling when I was heavier and did not need an extender other than at my top weight which was no where close to where you are at. When I did need one the flight attendants were always very discreet and it really was not an issue.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I found a site that has the seatbelt sizes/lengths of various airlines, but they are all USA based airlines (http://seniortravel.about.com/od/airtravel/a/SeatBeltLengths.htm). Alaska Airlines has a page about larger sized customers but I couldn't find something similar for Lufthansa. Maybe you can contact them directly? If you give them your flight they should be able to tell you what model aircraft you'll be flying and they would hopefully have the seatbelt length info themselves. I have flown domestically at 210 lbs with probably a 42-44" at my widest part and didn't at all have a problem but I can't be certain. It's possible Lufthansa being more European-aimed might have smaller seat belts.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've flown Lufthansa when I was a US size 18. I had no problem with the seatbelt. Also the seat belt is supposed to go under your belly across your hip bones. This was no problem for me, as I have a huge belly but smaller hips. You might be smaller under your belly? I hope this helps.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am bigger than you and recently flew on American Airlines and had no problems.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm ex-cabin crew, and I totally and utterly promise you that we couldn't care less about giving you an extending belt, we really don't have the time nor inclination to judge, we've almost certainly see someone way bigger than you and probably still not blinked. In fact, we'd rather you asked for one than us having to offer you one and maybe embarrass you if you didn't realise you needed one.... If it's you doing the asking then you are actually doing crew a favour as some don't like to offer in case the passenger is offended and causes a fuss, i.e. "Are you calling me fat?!!!"!