Does your weight drastically fluctuate?

Options
I am feeling so confused. I weigh myself every morning or at least every other morning and I am always seeing my weight fluctuate between 3 and 8 lbs depending on the day! one minute I think I've lost 3 lbs and two days later it says I've gained 8!!?? I don't understand this and it's frustrating the he-double-toothpicks outta me. Does anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Everyone will fluctuate a few pounds due to water retention and how much food is in your digestive track - but 8 pounds would probably indicate that your scale is messing with you. I'd toss that one, get a new one, and save your sanity!! :tongue:
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself right away in the morning as soon as you get out of bed and emptying your bladder? That is the most consistent time of the day. Try doing it in your underwear or naked. Otherwise you are weighing other factors throughout the day like water weight gain, food in your stomach, etc.
  • healthysmiles
    healthysmiles Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    yes , weight fluctatues alot. Sometimes even up to 8lbs!! Waterweight and food weight and TOM can make the scales fluctuate, to get an accurate reading you should weigh once a week!
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    The most mine has ever fluctuated was 3 pounds... after a day loaded with salt.. lol 8 pounds seems like a lot to me
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    I usually do during or close to my TOM and a week or so after it. Also, when I have in take a lot of sodium for the day it takes several days to come off. Oh and when I drink alcohol I see an increase, but after a couple of days it goes away. It is normal for the body to fluctuate anywhere from 1-10 lbs. Mine is usually 2-5 lbs from my lowest weight
  • dswizzles
    dswizzles Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I weighed myself every day I would go crazy! Like everyone said, weigh yourself right when you wake up every morning, after you empty your bladder. It sucks to only do it once a week, but you get more consistent readings that way :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If you are going to weigh everyday do so first thing in the morning and make sure all elements are consistent (clothes/no clothes, have you used the toilet, etc). My recommendation is seriously just to weigh yourself once a week. The foods you have eaten, water weight, etc fluctuates day to day. Its unlikely to see improvements on a daily basis, but a weekly basis can actually provide meaningful results that make you feel good and motivate.
  • Kicktush
    Kicktush Posts: 16
    Options
    I do the exact same thing and my advice to you would be to put that scale away. Commit to only weighing yourself 1 day a week and stick to it. The weight fluctuations could be due to something simple like water retention or, pardon the candidness, a buildup of #2. It's very frustrating to have a great eating/exercise day and then weigh yourself the next morning only to see that you've gained. Don't feel discouraged - this is not a sprint, it's marathon and you can do it!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Mine fluctuates just as much and honestly I will not even weigh in if I've had several "high sodium" days in a row. It is just unmotivating. As long as I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, that's what is important.
  • ppatchell
    ppatchell Posts: 9
    Options
    I weigh myself around the same time in the morning, after going potty and usually after my 30 minutes of exercise and before i hop in the shower. I'm sure water weight plays a part and my scale is a high-end digital one with new batteries (I thought maybe I could blame it on old batteries but I bought brand new ones and have since disproved that theory :) ) I really don't think I can go to weighing myself only once a week because the scale really helps hold me accountable!! It's that 'outta sight outta mind' thing with me ;)
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    yes 3-5 average
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mine can fluctuate up to 10 pounds between morning and night, and can give me a 5 lb overnight fluctuation if I have exercised the day before or had a lot of salt. You're not alone!
  • LOLmerrill
    LOLmerrill Posts: 43
    Options
    Mine does. A lot. I drink easily over a gallon of water a day so if I weighed throughout the day, I'd go crazy. On the other hand, I recently threw away a scale that was always off. If I stepped on and then off and then back on, I'd always get different readings so you may have to upgrade your tech.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Curious, what are "he-double-toothpicks"?
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Curious, what are "he-double-toothpicks"?

hell
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Trying weighing yourself before you exercise for a week or two and see if that makes a difference. If you happen to drink water while you exercise, or if you're doing various exercises on different days, that might change the result.
    Also, watch your sodium (add it to your diary if it's not already there) and make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
  • Soziberry
    Soziberry Posts: 115
    Options
    I haven't read all comments yet but wanted to share my findings. Weight fluctuates constantly, I have tried this out. You can jump on the scales at different times of the day/night each and every day and see your weight go up and down. I have gone to weigh before getting in bed and been 3-5lb lighter from just sleeping. Bodies are certainly strange, I just go now by how my clothes feel on me and do a Friday morning weigh in before my brekkie.
  • cocobones
    cocobones Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have made it a thing, where I only weigh every 10 days. No need for the roller coaster of emotions every time the #'s ebb & flow do to minor fluctuations.:-)