Common Stress Fracture Injuries

Options
Hello esteemed MFP community!

For educational purposes, I would love to start a discussion on stress fracture stories! How did you sustain the inury? Where was the stress fracture localized? What methods of recovery did you utilize? How long in duration was the recovery process before you could resume your sport of choice?

I am still waiting for a bone scan and x ray to confirm the diagnosis as "stress fracture". I was recently working through a typical run at an easy pace about 13 min/mile for 2 miles on a falt incline. Following this run there was no pain however 24 hours later it was difficult to walk and apply pressure to the forefoot region localized towards the baby toe metatarsal.

I am a 26 year old male
Wegith - 180lbs
Height - 5'11"
Shoe Selection - Nike Free 5.0 (22 weeks)
Tenchnique - mid / forefoot striking

My recovery strategy is to minimalize pressure to the area and in the meantime focus my efforts on low impact swimming.

Looking forward to reading about your stories!

Cheers!

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What bone do you suspect to have the fracture? I sustained what was treated as a stress fracture to my fourth metatarsal in 2014. The results of the MRI were inconclusive, but my doctor believed it to be a stress fracture. She had me wear a walking boot for 6 weeks (She initially wanted to put it in a cast, but since the MRI results were uncertain, we agreed on the boot). During that time, I was able to put light pressure on my foot, so I did a lot of biking. I iced it every night. I refrained from running. Once I was out of the boot, I eased back into running with short run/ walk intervals. Like you, I did not experience pain from this injury immediately. It first felt the pain the next day following a strenuous hill workout. My doctor thinks that running on the hill likely contributed to the injury. The pain was very acute when I tried to run, but felt a little better walking. I waited about 4 days before seeing the doctor. At that point, I was certain that something was wrong.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thank you,
    @lporter229

I am not 100% sure where the root fracture might be. Might be 4th or 5th metatarsalia. The pain stems from the baby toe metatarsal region and then radiates throughout the forefoot and into the arch. When the doctor applies pressure with his hands I did not feel much pain however anytime I walk the pain is present. The doctor instructed me to do a one legged squat on each leg and it was very difficult and painful on the injured side.

Similarly, I can do very light gear cycling. Have you experienced a repeat injury on this matter? I've read a few brief articles that mention this type of injury is common to recurrence. What I mean is its very likely these types of injury will repeat if aggressive recovery is not addressed.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I developed a stress fracture in the ball of my foot near my 4th and 5th toe. I believe this was due to the fact that I tried running too hard and too fast with the wrong shoes while I was still too heavy. Like you described, I felt fine after my workout, but the next morning the pain appeared. It was difficult to walk on, though the doctor could push against it and manipulate the toes without too much discomfort.

For treatment, I was given a support boot and told to elevate, ice, and treat with Ibuprofen for minor swelling. For the first two weeks, I was told to walk with crutches and arrange with my work to be given a chair (it was a standing job). After that period, I could walk and stand with the boot for limited periods.

I was not given the "all clear" to begin walking and running again until 6-8 weeks after the injury occurred (I forget the exact period).

At the time, I was 25 and 5'4. I'm going to guess that I was around 220-240 back then. My shoes were likely whichever pair Target would sell me for less than $30 (terrible).
  • ironhajee
    Options
    @ManiacalLaugh

Thank you,

Were you able to start running again? At good intensity?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have a stress fracture. I told my doctor I wouldn't wear a boot and I was going to keep lifting. He told me to avoid running, so I run far less. I'm a horrible example. I've worked through tons of injuries from a torn pec to a broken pelvis.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    Similarly, I can do very light gear cycling. Have you experienced a repeat injury on this matter? I've read a few brief articles that mention this type of injury is common to recurrence. What I mean is its very likely these types of injury will repeat if aggressive recovery is not addressed.

I have not, knock on wood. I have been wearing inserts in my shoes with arch supports, as recommended by my doctor. They are OTC from a running store. She suggested custom orthotics if my insurance would cover it, but since they didn't, she said that the difference between OTC and custom would not really be worth the money. I have very high arches and they really help in that area. Since the injury I have run 2 marathons and well over 2000 miles without any problems at all.

I should also mention that my MRI showed a extremely high amount of bone degeneration, likely due to years of running as well as prolonged use of prednisone (issue unrelated to running), per my doctor. So, in my case, the injury may have been more related to chronic use rather than and acute injury resulting from sudden overuse. I am not sure if the long term impact is the same.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    @ManiacalLaugh

Thank you,

Were you able to start running again? At good intensity?

No, unfortunately. That was a life lesson for me on starting too quickly, but it didn't take hold for quite a few years. The stress fracture set me back and I fell into the "well, this is just too hard" trap, so I just gave up and didn't try again. I went back to school and gained 30-50 lbs.

Luckily, I got my act together in 2012 and have been steadily (though slowly) losing after having wisely eased into running a little more carefully. I also got myself a decent pair of shoes or two. So, in the last four years, while I've had some IT Band issues and other sports injuries from doing stupid things, I've never had another stress fracture.

Now I run at good intensity, so while this information is less useful to you in gauging others' time lines for recovering, at least this data supports the fact that a stress fracture is not a long term impairment.
  • ironhajee
    Options
    @lporter229 Yes Knock on wood and thanks for your feedback! It's so inspiring to hear that you have run two marathons since then! Keep up the good fight!

@ManiacalLaugh Thanks so much for this valuable information. Exactly, this kind of shows me that a stress fracture can easily be recovered from and long term as long as I take preventative measures I hope to be able to resume a dicipline running program.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I thought I might have one in my 2nd and maybe 3rd metatarsal but it's hard to say as I have a very high pain threshold/tolerance and often don't feel "pain" like someone else might (like I donated a kidney and therefore had a full caesarean style slice across my stomach from where they removed it, and as soon as I was unhooked from IVs etc, I was up and walking around like nothing was wrong without any trouble....without taking so much as a regular tylenol at any point). Anyway, that being the case, I am not sure if what I'm feeling is actually a fracture or something else. Maybe not, since everyone else here seems to have had the pain start suddenly and noticeably whereas, the feeling I've got has kind of crept up overtime and some days is more prevalent than others. Haven't been to a doctor, and not sure I will....not a fan of the thought that I might be told not to run for 6 weeks :P
  • ironhajee
    Options
    I admire your spirit however, that is a risky decision to make and can have long term negative effects. There are many non impact workouts which you can do such as swimming.

Whatever you choose I wish you all the best in your training :)

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    yeah, unfortunately running is how I actually get to work and back every day, so taking up swimming would be more costly than I can afford since I'd not only have to pay to swim every day, but I'd also have to pay for another mode of transport....also, I used to love swimming, but since dropping the weight I have no buoyancy and now sink straight to the bottom....like I don't even float a little...it's very bizarre. Way too exhausting just trying to keep from drowning let alone getting a proper stroke going. lol
  • ironhajee
    Options
    Well I hope you heal very quickly and get back to doing the things you enjoy!