Low carb & excerising but weight gain?

Options
I lost 7 lbs my first week of low carb, then a pound here and there but my 4th week into it I gained 2lbs? I've been watching calories as well and I've been doing 40 mins of cardiovascular with very light weight training 5 days a week. I'm still in ketosis so not sure what's going on. I need to lose 100 lbs and this is so discouraging. Is this normal to stall or gain the first month?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You can lose, maintain or gain on low carb diets just as with other diets.

Your diary is closed so we can't reall ycomment further. How many calories and grams of protein per day, current weight / height ?
  • Ktburchfield
    Ktburchfield Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I didn't realize it was private, I opened it. I'm staying around 1500 calories and I'm currently 5'1 235lbs
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Just because your low carb doesn't mean you'll lose weight.
    For weight loss you must be eating at a calorie deficit.
  • justinfarmer919
    justinfarmer919 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is high and may be alot of water weight. I also notice your fats are higher than your protein which is not helping you either. I would raise your protein and lower your fats some. If you feed yourself enough fat to supply your body with energy then your body wont use its own fat stores as energy. Its a very tricky balance.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Except for the entries that you ate around 1350 calories have you really been only eating anywhere from 170 - 300 calories on days and some others 700 - 800 calories. Is your diary complete?

And are you weighing those salads from Cody's? It looks like you eat the exact same foods such as the salad and chicken and they are always the exact same weights.

Please elaborate on some things, because either your diary is not complete or can't tell what is going on what I saw in the diary.

And btw the 7 pounds you lost eating low carb is not true fat loss.. You lost a ton of water by restricting the carbs. This is normal. How are you monitoring ketosis?
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Menstrual cycle?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize it was private, I opened it. I'm staying around 1500 calories and I'm currently 5'1 235lbs

no worries, I think Private is the default.

Your lunch is a bit odd, basically leafy carbs with mayo. Personally I would favour some protein in that rather than seeing 12 ozs of chicken at dinner. I would also be nervous about how accurate you are measuring the mayo :-)

The morning Thrive shake is a bit carbier than need be, perhaps seek out a lower carb version.

Try to keep the grams of fat similar to or greater than the grams of protein & carbs combined. Also lose the popcorn ;-)
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of carbs to function properly. With that being said, there are several reasons why you've gained. You're probably building up some muscle mass which will tip the scale, retaining water, eating to many calories, etc. CICO is the best way to approach this. Give it time, I personally don't rely solely on the scale as it can fluctuate. If I'm lifting heavier weights I expect to see less of a loss and possibly a gain, but psychologically I know that I'm doing the best for me so I don't stress. Also, I do body measurements and go by how my clothes fit. I'd say just give it time. My first month was unpredictable as well, it'll happen.
  • Ktburchfield
    Ktburchfield Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Except for the entries that you ate around 1350 calories have you really been only eating anywhere from 170 - 300 calories on days and some others 700 - 800 calories. Is your diary complete?

And are you weighing those salads from Cody's? It looks like you eat the exact same foods such as the salad and chicken and they are always the exact same weights.

Please elaborate on some things, because either your diary is not complete or can't tell what is going on what I saw in the diary.

And btw the 7 pounds you lost eating low carb is not true fat loss.. You lost a ton of water by restricting the carbs. This is normal. How are you monitoring ketosis?

My diary is incomplete. I have missed a few days of logging dinner. And no I don't weigh anything. I use ketostix to monitor ketone to make sure I'm still maintaining ketosis. My period ended yesterday so not sure if that has anything to do with it or maybe I'm gaining muscle from excerising since I'm not use to any excerise.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited March 2016
    Options

My diary is incomplete. I have missed a few days of logging dinner. And no I don't weigh anything. I use ketostix to monitor ketone to make sure I'm still maintaining ketosis. My period ended yesterday so not sure if that has anything to do with it or maybe I'm gaining muscle from excerising since I'm not use to any excerise.

It is be quite difficult to answer your question based on not completing your diary everyday. So we have to assume that missing entries and NOT weight food can mean you are eating more than you think you are thus not loosing any weight.

Get a food scale, it is game changer for weight loss and start weighing it and logging it all.

TIDBITS on the muscle gain: You may be gaining a very small bit of muscle but this will be limited if you are consistently eating at a deficit, but we cannot analize that based on the information. If you are gaining muscle, you may start to see that your clothes fit different, measurements are smaller, photos of your self mark a difference in your shape.

But very light weight training is really not putting your muscles in overload so I do not think muscle gain is happening here. True overloading the muscles through heavy weights makes the muscles grow and eating at a deficit you can grow min muscle (I call newbie gainz for a beginner lifter) but these taper off in about 5 weeks eating at a calorie deficit.

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

With mostly cardio and 'light weight training' I'm going to say, no, you are not gaining muscle. And even if you are having some 'newbie gains' it certainly won't be enough to offset the weight loss you should be seeing if you are eating in a deficit. Tighten up your logging. Being in ketosis doesn't have anything to do with weightloss; you need a calorie deficit and the best way to make sure you are achieving that is by weighing all solids and measuring all liquids.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of carbs to function properly. With that being said, there are several reasons why you've gained. You're probably building up some muscle mass which will tip the scale , retaining water, eating to many calories, etc. CICO is the best way to approach this. Give it time, I personally don't rely solely on the scale as it can fluctuate. If I'm lifting heavier weights I expect to see less of a loss and possibly a gain, but psychologically I know that I'm doing the best for me so I don't stress. Also, I do body measurements and go by how my clothes fit. I'd say just give it time. My first month was unpredictable as well, it'll happen.

No, she isn't gaining so much muscle that she is overriding her fat loss on the scale, this is a huge lie some people, such as unscrupulous trainers, tell their clients to make them feel better. She is more than likely losing muscle rather than gaining it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Op, it's extremely doubtful that your building muscle. If your not losing, your not at a calorie deficit.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    No, you are not gaining muscle. No, eating fat doesn't mean your body won't burn it's own fat. You're most likely eating more calories than you think and are not in much or any deficit. And yes your hormone cycles matter and will cause more fluctuations than guys have.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of carbs to function properly. With that being said, there are several reasons why you've gained. You're probably building up some muscle mass which will tip the scale , retaining water, eating to many calories, etc. CICO is the best way to approach this. Give it time, I personally don't rely solely on the scale as it can fluctuate. If I'm lifting heavier weights I expect to see less of a loss and possibly a gain, but psychologically I know that I'm doing the best for me so I don't stress. Also, I do body measurements and go by how my clothes fit. I'd say just give it time. My first month was unpredictable as well, it'll happen.

No, she isn't gaining so much muscle that she is overriding her fat loss on the scale, this is a huge lie some people, such as unscrupulous trainers, tell their clients to make them feel better. She is more than likely losing muscle rather than gaining it.

I have to disagree that she is loosing muscle, if she were, she would show weight loss with that.

Not loosing muscle or weight, therefore she is eating more than she thinks and not weighing food or logging it makes the MFP process not work.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have to disagree that she is loosing muscle, if she were, she would show weight loss with that.

Not loosing muscle or weight, therefore she is eating more than she thinks and not weighing food or logging it makes the MFP process not work.

You always lose muscle when losing weight or otherwise in a calorie deficit. You can lose muscle while in maintenance. I agree logging is probably the issue.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

You always lose muscle when losing weight or otherwise in a calorie deficit. You can lose muscle while in maintenance. I agree logging is probably the issue.

This is not a debate about that and not to derail this thread, she is not following the MFP process and needs to reassess and moreover buy the food scale and actually log her food.

• Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2016
    Options

This is not a debate about that and not to derail this thread, she is not following the MFP process and needs to reassess and moreover buy the food scale and actually log her food.

OK, whatever you say.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options

If you are not consistent in your logging and weighing and properly counting everything, then you have no idea what your deficit is or if you are even in one. Start logging consistently and with a deficit and you will lose.
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ketostix to monitor ketosis have been known to be inaccurate and can give false readings; in addition if you are not weighing your food portions, you don't know precisely have many carbs, proteins, and fats you're actually consuming. Plus your logging has been sporadic.

Recommit to consistent logging and lower your carb daily intake, and really increase your fat intake (if you decide to stay on the keto diet).