Alcohol / Accountability

Options
So - I've posted about this topic in the past & am doing so again. I had a horrible surgery 14 months ago & am now getting ready for another. Open chest type stuff - no good. I want to be in the best physical condition I can so my recovery goes smoothly & I don't lose too much momentum. To do that, I need to not drink! This seems to be challenging for me.
I would love for others who struggle with this to join me in not drinking for the next month. We can keep each other accountable & support each other when it's difficult.
Any takers?

Replies

• RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Really I think alcoholics anonymous is the genuinely effective group for that.
  • hasteffey
    hasteffey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you in that challenge! I have been struggling a lot this past year. Going through a lot of things and I sank to rock bottom. Drinking is an issue that I would love someone to talk to about and support each other. I was almost diagnosed as diabetic 3 months ago, and a lot of it had to do with drinking. I have cut back, but I know I need to cut it out completely. It is very hard when you are isolated and under a lot of stress. And Alcoholics Anonymous is not the answer for everyone. Sometimes you need someone that is struggling like you are, not to go to a group and do things the way they want you to do them.
  • hermajestee
    hermajestee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Really I think alcoholics anonymous is the genuinely effective group for that.

I do not consider myself an alcoholic. I am not "powerless" over this. I just want a support network to help me get into the best health I can be in before this surgery. As I understand it, that's what this community section is for. Support.

• 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So, generally speaking, the community here will only recommend complete abstinence if something is truly horrible for you (I don't think anyone will suggest meth as a reasonable weight loss strategy), or if you're unable to control your intake of it. I used to drink 4-5 nights per week, just one or two with dinner. Now that I'm logging everything I eat and drink, in order to meet my caloric goal, I have alcohol twice a week, on average. Simply put, I'd rather eat my calories than drink them, most of the time!

Do you need to cut out alcohol completely as in it's something that causes problems, or is it simply you want to drop the caloric toll of drinking?

eta: note, this is not because we're not a supportive lot.. it's a recognition of human nature that when we deprive ourselves of something, we often end up longing for it, giving in, and binging on it. if you can manage your intake, consider managing it reasonably.
  • mrscobomb
    mrscobomb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As said above.. Ya the more you drink it really racks up calories and just isn't worth it half the time. I've drank probly 2 times in the past 4 weeks and it was a cheat day. If your goal is to in the best physical shape then limit it to one drink on a weekend. If you aren't "powerless" it should be pretty easy for you. My best advice is to LOG EVERYTHING you drink or eat. Don't cheat yourself. (Unless it's cheat day of course) Good luck.
  • hermajestee
    hermajestee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes- I've been logging EVERYTHING! Even just having that accountability makes me want to be better. I don't want to cut it out completely - just till the surgery so I can have the best chance at a quick recovery. I didn't with the last one & it was about 3 months before I could do much of anything. I don't want to waste that kind of time!!