Best time to work out?

Options
mamafrahm
mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
I'm new to the site, and somewhat new to the whole exercise scene... I've heard that the best time to work out is first thing in the morning, before breakfast....... Is this true??

Replies

• Kicktush
    Kicktush Posts: 16
    Options
    Obviously this is only my opinion but I agree. If I commit to working out first thing in the morning I won't let life come in between me and that workout. If I wait until after work hours I can always come up with an excuse to skip - grocery shopping, out with friends, stressful day at work, etc... You're bright eyed and bushy tailed first thing in the a.m. and a good workout really sets the tone for a great day!
  • vodkaswigger
    vodkaswigger Posts: 467
    Options
    Welcome, i tend to run or exercise early as possible, then its done and if your day doesnt go as planned youve already exercised. Good luck xx
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    anytime you can schedule it in is the best time to exercise :wink:
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm also an early morning excerciser. My cell phone doesn't ring, my kid doesn't need a ride, and I have no appointments. (ok, I workout at 4:30am, I know...crazy!) But, it's a routine that is comfortable for me now, and one that isn't easily thrown off by my schedule, even with vacations! Plus, I like knowing how many calories I have for the rest of the day....helps with my meal planning! :) Best of luck.....
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I usually squeeze it in whenever possible. This is usually during my kids naptime or bedtime. I am addicted to exercise now so I don't like waiting till night time =) But as for when is best for weight loss I have no clue hehe! I figure as long as I am getting it in Im good =)
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    anytime of the day is good for you!
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is when you can consistently do it. W/ family & kids that is first thing in the am for me. There are no excuses at this time & nothing can get in my way (except me). Plus you boost your metabolism for the day and feel good. Once you make it a routine it wont phase you but consistency is key.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I'm new to the site, and somewhat new to the whole exercise scene... I've heard that the best time to work out is first thing in the morning, before breakfast....... Is this true??

I actually watched an episode of Dr. Oz where he said that the best time of day to workout was first thing in the morning before breakfast. Unfortunately I just can't bring myself to get up that early since I have to be to work by 6am. So I go right after work between lunch and dinner.
  • sesefeeney
    sesefeeney Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i dont think its that black and white! i'm not a morning person and HATE exercising in the morning as it takes my body a while to sort itself out but i have found that if i gym in the morning, it puts me in a great mood for the rest of the day and i feel more energetic. but i've got a little bubba so to be honest i just do it when i can. if you do something you enjoy exercise wise, i think u'll MAKE time to do it because its ur thing, if that makes any sense.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Depends on your workout and you... If you do intense cardio, I find it easier to workout inthe morning and avoid stomach cramps (or feeling ill).

Weight training....best to get some carbs into your body before you start, to avoind bonking during the workout.

I agree with those that say mornng, as you can eliminate the excuses for NOT working out.
  • monicabellini
    Options
    Maybe try a few different times and see what's best? I'd love to work out first thing as has been suggested, they are exactly right about getting it over and done with, setting yourself up for the day...however, with a 2 year old, I have to wait until she's in bed for a run or weight training or similar. I think the key is to do things you really enjoy, so you look forward to it, and be creative. Dancing, walking somewhere I need to be with gusto can be just as effective and realistic in the long run. Build it into your life and go for it!
  • jennafish7
    Options
    I say do what is best for you and your schedule. I personally cannot get myself up early enough to go work out, with the exception of weekends after I sleep in I will work out. But I commit to myself to work out about an hour and a half after dinner. My family supports me on this. Sometimes I see if my neighborhood friends are available for a run or bike ride. Its just the time that works best for me.
    At my old job I used to go during my lunch hour, because the gym was literally right next to the office and was thus very convenient. could shower quick and get back to work.
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes, i have 2 little ones, and unfortunately they don't really take naps anymore :( I've been good about getting up early in the morning to get the workouts in, I guess as long as I'm exercising I'm doing good, right?!

I saw that Dr. Oz episode, too! lol
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Early morning....unfortunately I have to get up at 3:30am to be able to get mine in and get to work by 7:30. But it's worth the sacrifice...knowing the whole day that it's done.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The best time is what works for you. If you feel better in the evening, do it then. I workout in the morning because if I don't, I don't get to it.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Do whatever works best for you. If you feel better working out in the morning - do it in the morning. If you are a night owl and prefer to do it at night - do it at night. There is no benefit metabolically speaking to time of day.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a huge fan of the early morning workout. Get it done early, feel better mentally and physically all day long and life doesn't get in the way. My biggest challenge is getting to bed at a decent hour so I get enough rest.

But everyone is different. I think it is important to find what best fits into your own life so you stick to it because consistency is key!

Good luck!