Time to start

Options
I've been losing weight without exercise since last September. I'm down 72lbs with about 20 to go. The reason for no exercise is because I had a two level lumbar fusion done in December. I have completed PT and can move up to more activity's now. Of course I still have limits, amount of weight to lift and bending limitations. I am considering doing P90X with restrictions on the bending and high impact parts, would this be all right? Or is there to much of that in it, never done it before. I also have Biggest Loser for the Wii and could do it, plus other stuff. What would you suggest?

Replies

• misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    P90X is intended for people who are already in good shape.
    The starter is P90 then move on to P90 Master and then to P90X.
    a lot of people will tell you to just skip ahead to P90X and modify...but why modify when you can start p90 and work your way up the way it was intended?

hope this helps and good luck!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do strength training with weights or bands? I think the bands would probably work well for you. As far as the high impact, I think only the Plyo DVD is super high impact. You can substitute the Kenpo or probably even the Cardio DVD and just make the moves as low impact as you need to.

I do TurboFire, and they actually have a low impact option for every class that you can follow. It's really fun and easy to stick with, too.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You could start with simple things like walking, hiking in the park. etc. Enjoyable stuff. Once you feel that is too easy, you could do elliptical and some strength training. P90X might be hard for you.
  • martilton40
    martilton40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Before doing any type of exercise I would check with your dr. to make sure they are ok to do.. I do the biggest loser for wii also and love it. I am doing the Biggest Loser Challenge.(not sure if that is the one your doing) Your able to create your own profile and exersices geared for you or do one of the exercises already programed. Good luck!!
  • brapril714
    brapril714 Posts: 25
    Options
    Day one was good. I had to modify some of the excercises for my back. Round 2 tonight.
  • brapril714
    Options
    One week down and it is tough, very fun though. I had to skip yoga because of my back, but will try again tomorrow. First weigh in is on Saturday.
  • getnfitn2011
    Options
    Hey there!!! I was wondering if you have heard of power 90 ...this is earlier than P90X and it has really great modifications in it....same old Tony though just with really cheesy music and cheesy jokes. My husband is doing power 90 then going into P90X I have heard lots of people doing this so I just wanted to suggest it. I personally prefer turbo jam and am now doing turbofire and would reccomend both of those!! Anyway I just wanted to drop those suggestions in case you have trouble with the X ( I affectionally call it the beast lol) I am pulling for you, keep up the great work and if you want another buddy feel free to add me!!!
    Be bessed,
    Misty
  • brapril714
    Options
    1 1/2 week down and 5lbs to go with it. I gave yoga another shot, made it 30 minutes before they started doing more twisting than my back will allow. Felt good though. Very intense, but loving it so far.