Losing Weight/Looking Older

Options
2»

Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but it's a small price to pay. It's a bummer at first, especially since what you're trying to do is look better, but, I think you still look better overall.
  • lovelylittlegiggles
    lovelylittlegiggles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    weehah wrote: »
    Hello! Just curious about people out there over 35 who have lost weight. Do you feel you look older, even if you FEEL younger? I find myself worried about my neck and face aging.

I used to have a concern about aging. Oddly, it was when I was a teenager. As an adult I don't have that concern. I look at myself and at 45 years old (soon to be 46) I believe I look pretty good. People can't believe I am 45 years of age. They always guess my age as younger. That is great, but when it is all said and done, I am aging. I am aging and I accept it for what it is.
  • lovelylittlegiggles
    lovelylittlegiggles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I feel like I look my age, but I have noticed in some people that losing weight did make them look older. And some looked younger...some (like me) seem to just look as old as they are. All my opinion of course. I'm 37.

I have to agree. Some folks look younger plumper. Sometimes losing the weight gives the appearance of sagging skin because there is no fat there to plump it up anymore, especially the neck and face.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think there is a French saying that as you age, you have to choose between weight in your face or weight on your body for beauty.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,443 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Weehah-I am going to be real honest here and I do not notice much difference. I am 63, have a full face and it does not look at lot different to me 100 pounds lighter. I know I will never be 23, 33, 43 or even 53 again and that is OK! Having said that, however, my family, friends and people I have not seen in a while all comment on how much younger I look than the last time they saw me. I suspect it has more to do with being in great shape and happy than wrinkles here or there. Enjoy the journey and be happy with your successes and let age take care of itself! Life is too darn short to worry about it! :drinker:
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have lost 60 lb and 3 dress sizes. Colleagues tell me I look 10 years younger.
  • summer_daze
    summer_daze Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 37 in 20 days, dropped 10 dress sizes. Was a UK size 22, down to a UK size 12. I get told I look like I'm in my 20's, I looked much older when I was overweight. I think it all depends on your attitude also, I dress young and put makeup on to accentuate my best features, my cheekbones and eyes! I have about 12lbs I would like to lose, but I will see how it goes. I tend to go by the measuring tape for accuracy, I know I am toning up but I need to lose a bit of chin fat :D
  • Oblett1943
    Oblett1943 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 45 and I am trying to burn out my calories. I have already reduced 20 lbs. But my face looks aged. I look as if I am in my 60’s. I am considering a facelift in Toronto ( http://www.solomonfacialplastic.com/facial-plastic-surgery/facelift-procedure.php ) but I have no idea about the cost of the surgery. I cannot afford it if it is very expensive. I have fine lines and wrinkles near my cheek area and neck. I don’t think exercise and dieting can find a solution to my sagging cheeks, It would be really helpful if someone here could give me some suggestions.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think I look a tiny bit older, but I look very young for my age so it has not concerned me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with a consultant for a new hairstyle.
    Also, do the same with make up for an updated look. :)
    Both of those will help you look younger.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Oblett1943 wrote: »
    Hi. I am 45 and I am trying to burn out my calories. I have already reduced 20 lbs. But my face looks aged. I look as if I am in my 60’s. I am considering a facelift in Toronto ( http://www.solomonfacialplastic.com/facial-plastic-surgery/facelift-procedure.php ) but I have no idea about the cost of the surgery. I cannot afford it if it is very expensive. I have fine lines and wrinkles near my cheek area and neck. I don’t think exercise and dieting can find a solution to my sagging cheeks, It would be really helpful if someone here could give me some suggestions.

I'd suggest starting with drinking lots of water to hydrate your skin, and trying face creams with 'firming ingredients' - I honestly don't know if they really do any good, but it's a lot cheaper than a face lift and worth a try! You could also try facial massage, I've heard that can help.

I've also read other posts here that say it took a while for their skin to catch up to their weight loss, and after a year or two they looked much better. So you might want to try just being patient, if you can stand it, and see what happens. :smile:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I really don't even think about it. I look HEALTHIER, feel awesome, and look so much better overall. Are we saying that a thin neck, by definition, looks older than a fat neck with a double or triple (or no) chin?
    Maybe I look older, but then again, I AM 18 months older in the second picture. But I bet I've increased my life expectancy by at least 10 years!
    llvc7m0qfz5y.jpgp6b5mgoz7xdh.jpg

• weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am loving these posts. I know that, even though I entertained the idea of a face or neck lift for the first time, I know that I could NEVER go through with it.

My favorite excerpt from all your words is this: "Enjoy the journey and be happy with your successes and let age take care of itself! Life is too darn short to worry about it!" So, so true!

High-fives to all of you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!