Salsa and ranch dip - what do do with it!

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
I have a large jar of natural salsa from Costco and a sour-cream tub of ranch dip that will be expiring June 26th so I'm rushing to find a way to use them.

We're having chicken breast wraps for dinner tonight so I'm going to have one ranch wrap and one salsa wrap but other than wraps (including tuna ones) I can't think of anything else to use this stuff up and 1 wrap isn’t enough food so that’s getting a little high on carbs to be doing all week.

Both are only 10-12 calories per tbsp.

Any ideas?

Replies

• jamiegirl816
    Options
    Sliced cucumber and other veggies with them would be tasty. Mixed into cottage cheese, or mashed potatoes. Salsa and eggs. As a low cal spread for a veggie pizza. Salsa might be able to brighten up a bland soup. Hope you find some awesome ways to use them!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Ranch chicken and vegetables? Sort of like a stir fry but with ranch dip as the sauce.

For the salsa, I've heard that it makes a good dressing.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I dumped some salsa on chicken breast and baked it last night for supper. Oh, and I put a little pepperjack cheese on them too. Yumm!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I atually bake chicken with salsa on top. The salsa flavors the chicken nicely and its low cal and low carb. Sometimes I'll top it with cheese also.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Its a good bet that the 6/26 date is the sell by date....(right?). You should be able to get another week or so (easy) out of that dip..since its sour cream based...its already SOUR..... : )

So just in case you have a lot left and don't like the sound of eating a bowl of Ranch Soup.....you can drag it out a bit
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    that is how I do it too. Very Very yummy Dump the salsa on the chicken bake it, then you could adda dollop of the ranch to the top after baking. or use a a topping for a "taco type" salad
  • KatyLynn01
    KatyLynn01 Posts: 19
    Options
    I like to put chicken breasts, salsa, black beans, and corn in a crockpot and let them cook all day. Then I usually melt and stir in some cream cheese and shred the chicken and it is delicious. You could prob do the same with the sour cream and that would use up both of them.
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    I mix salsa with balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil and make a killer dressing/ marinade.

Here's the recipe:
    1 cup salsa
    3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp white vinegar
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a blender, and combine until smooth. keep cold, and it works as a marinade on just about everything (I've done chicken, salmon, pork chops, and steak).
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I add Salsa to:

My taco meat along with cut up tomatoes, cheese, spices(cayeene pepper, chili pwd), Franks Red Hot sauce & chili oil.

On top of a burger with cheese - no bun.

I have sauteed onions, garlic in olive oil, cut up & dice eggplant, add my cooked chicken cutlets & salsa, cover & simmer for 10 mins. Great over Spanish yellow rice.

Sautee garlic & onion in a little olive oil, add yr string bean & cook, add the salsa, cover & simmer.

Sorry but I am not big with ranch.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Its a good bet that the 6/26 date is the sell by date....(right?). You should be able to get another week or so (easy) out of that dip..since its sour cream based...its already SOUR..... : )

So just in case you have a lot left and don't like the sound of eating a bowl of Ranch Soup.....you can drag it out a bit

Ha ha ha, thanks for the tip!

Baking chicken with salsa sounds great, actually it will get me to use my slow cooker again and I remember hearing a long time ago mixing ranch dip into mashed potatoes was great, I suppose I was just fearful. Ok that's it, dinner tomorrow is now officially planned too, yay!

Thanks everyone!
  • osmoticferocity
    Options
    A while back, I realized that I didn't really eat tortilla chips for flavor, they were basically just a crunchy edible salsa utensil. I started dipping fresh veggies in it instead. Yum! Celery is good for this as it is naturally scoop shaped! Peppers too. But cucumbers are also workable. Really, anything you can imagine works.
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The costco salsa has a sale date, but once you open it it turns bad fast. Their are no preservatives in it so check for bubbles befor eating.