Lemon Juice to cut sodium?

Options
Pea4jjab
Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
Have any of you ever heard of this? My dh is a personal trainer and he swears by it. He puts lemon juice in just about every glass of water that he drinks. So does my 20 yr old son, who has lost 50 lbs. since Feb. Dh says that it helps to cut how much sodium your body retains. So, what do you all think?

Replies

• PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I put lemon slices in my water, I feel like it helps. After I have about 32 ounces of lemon water, I don't feel as bloated.
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    Interesting. I'd like to know more about this!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of it being a sodium reducer, but I have heard of it being an appetitie reducer.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    No idea, but seeing as it tastes better and is good for you, you cant loose can you?
  • LisaT9101
    LisaT9101 Posts: 9
    Options
    I put a slice of lemon, lime & orange in my water. Not so much to cut sodium, but to help it go down easier. My body doesn't like most diet drinks (can you say MIGRANE!) and I'm not a big fan of plain H2O.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard that, but we just started using a "fruit infusion" pitcher that my sis in law gave us for Xmas. My husband and I thought it was kind of useless at first, but it has a section that slides in the pitcher - you can fill it w/ cut up fresh fruit, cucumber, mint - whatever- and fill with water. I've been filling the infuser w/ lemon/lime/orange slices and it does give the water a nice, refreshing citrus taste.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    Bump
  • stephrawrrr
    Options
    Hmm, pretty interesting! I kinda want to try it now :P
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi - my personal trainer told me the same thing :) When I looked into it I found out that I think it's based on the alkali food concept. It's not scientifically proven, but it's not really unhealthy either. If it helps you drink your water, I say do it!!

See http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Alkaline_diet
  • turbogirl4christ
    Options
    Interesting!! Gonna have to try it out!
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    It absolutely works for me. I always drink PLENTY of water, but I also have a fairly high sodium intake. I would still notice my fingers swelling when I walked or ran even though I was drinking at least a gallon of water a day. I started adding lemon (real lemon slices) to my water and my fingers haven;t swelled since, so I say if you like lemon, GO FOR IT!!! :drinker: