Healthy yet filling Veggie Meal Options

Options
I always take make my lunch to take to work and I'll take salads, fruits and carrot sticks. I wanted to get more ideas on what I can take that is simple and easy to make but also satisfying and healthy at the same time. I was hoping to avoid sandwiches and salads. What do you think?

Replies

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Get rice wraps (it's like 50 for 2 bucks) add tofu light sauce and some veggies. Boom springroll. Can add cold pasta as well.

I'm going to edit this and add I like tofu but it can be a pain. You will want to get the water out of it a lot if the time to allow it to absorb marinated stuff. I eat it plain a lot. But you either need to squish it in sections with towels, get a tofu press, or some use the microwave but I don't like that. Just tofu marinated in some soy and chili sauce is great.

Crock pots can also be your friend. Assorted veggies, beans, vegetable broth, some cream of celery and then some rice added in to thicken if you want a stew vs soup texture.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Maybe tortillas with beans and rice?
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi! Cook and take leftovers in a Tupperware.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    hlofit25 wrote: »
    I always take make my lunch to take to work and I'll take salads, fruits and carrot sticks. I wanted to get more ideas on what I can take that is simple and easy to make but also satisfying and healthy at the same time. I was hoping to avoid sandwiches and salads. What do you think?

Do you have a fridge and microwave at work

I batch cook at weekends

I make big vegetable dishes - one of my favourites is a mix of onion, pepper, butternut squash, aubergine(eggplant), courgette(zuccini), mushrooms, carrot and tinned tomato with garlic, bay leaf, thyme, basil, oregano and rosemary

I then precook rice and portion up 100g rice, 500g veg stew in tupperware and a small tub of 10g grated(shredded) extra mature cheddar .. 305 calories, heats up in 3 mins

I also make butternut squash risotto.. in the summer I might make a big salad

Other veggie things I like are thai Coconut curry and Lentil Samba ...these are ready made meals from BOL - the old Innocent brand)

I am an omnivore though..so I also batch cook salmon fishcakes, asian meatballs, chicken stews and some I might freeze

The trick is to be prepared .. boy scout :)
  • hlofit25
    hlofit25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I have already tried one of your suggestions and plan on trying out the rest! I do love making different veggie dishes but another problem I have is buying a couple groups of veggies in order to make just that one dish. I'm trying to economize with grocery shopping as well. I'll definitely still try all of these options out, they sound great. Thanks.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of buddha bowls. An example of one I've ton is mexican style and I'll do brown rice, beans, broccoli, kale, zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, guacamole, salsa. Sometimes I'll do an asian style one with noodles, asian medley vegetables, kale, spinach, and fried egg on top with some sort of asian dressing or my own ginger, garlic, sriracha blend. You can google buddha bowl ideas and find a million mouthwatering combinations or create your own. The idea is you have some sort of carb base (rice, noodle, etc...) some sort of protein (beans, edamame, egg), veggies, and some kind of fat (eggs again, guacamole, hummus, etc...). I love them and they tend to have ridiculous amounts of fiber, they are incredibly filling, and mine are generally 400 calories or less.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Curry stirfry with rice is always a classic and always fills me up
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Soup! Make big batch soup like cashew tomato, or cucumber, or beet. Add as a side zucchini noodles, or take like fruit and nuts. Avacado/ tomato/ olive oil. Olive oil and Kalamata olives and dried tomato. Hummus wrap. Kale wraps. Veggie burger, dal burger, potato knish, pizza, flatbreads or lavosh, or smoothie!
  • hlofit25
    Options
    So I'm trying to make fresh black beans at home with onion and garlic for the first time and wanted to know if any of you have ever tried making it from scratch before. If so, what's your recipe and how long was your cook time? In your opinion has it been better to pre-soak the night before?
  • sgcorrie
    sgcorrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with the bowls suggestion! You can batch cook a bunch of rice and beans/tofu/lentils and make different meals for the week. Also, check out Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Appetite for Reduction. Lots of ideas and she is a badass recipe creator, so you can't go wrong.
  • sgcorrie
    sgcorrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    hlofit25 wrote: »
    So I'm trying to make fresh black beans at home with onion and garlic for the first time and wanted to know if any of you have ever tried making it from scratch before. If so, what's your recipe and how long was your cook time? In your opinion has it been better to pre-soak the night before?

Soaking helps, but you can "quick soak" or boil the beans for 3 minutes and let sit for one hour before cooking. Simmer the beans for a bit (maybe 40 minutes) until tender and then add garlic and onion. You can mash them with broth to make tasty not-fried beans.
  • hlofit25
    Options
    okay great thank you for these suggestions.