Homemade foods: How to get accurate nutr. info?

Options
I do a great deal of cooking my own meals. How do I get My Fitness Pal to accurately account for them? Most of the food items that come up in a search are canned or processed and have way more fat and sodium than mine do.

Replies

• Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I add my homemade foods as recipes!
  • glenna221
    glenna221 Posts: 46
    Options
    add as recipe
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    use the "my recipes" tab under the food tab and put in all your ingredients. I've done this with a few of my recipes, it's a really nice program, and you can share it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Add it to the recipe calculator to find out exactly how much your particular homemade creation is.

I personally like creating meals using MFP better than recipes in case I change an ingredient but it's a good start for you to test it out.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    USDA website will help- http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ or you can put in your own recipes and get accurate results.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I do also - you can input the recipe in the food tab. I do more measuring than usual, but it has worked great so far.
  • brickok
    brickok Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Go to your food section and go to my recipes and your will have to add all of your ingredients individually.
    It's quite easy once you get used to it.
    Hope that helps.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You can also log all the components individually, and then save that group as a "meal" and then it will be in your "my meals" tab for future reference. It's also sometimes easier to edit quantities that way, or if you sometimes use different ingredients. :)
  • peggy1209
    peggy1209 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    weigh and measure all the items in the recipe, then get one grand total for the calories, then divide by the number of servings you portion out . . .

happy to help more . . . .just message me
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I just tried making and adding a recipe and it works great!!
  • chartel
    chartel Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I added a recipe for Vegan Eggplant Parmigiana and it worked! It was a bit time consuming to enter, but nothing's perfect :)