How many times to workout a week?

Options
I'm currently Working out Mon, Wed, and Fri. Doing the C25K program that is 3 days a week. I feel like I could do more days a week, but I'm not sure how I should go about this. I don't wanna do too much and end up hurting myself, or making it harder for me to complete the C25K program, but I want to become more active and incorporate more into my routine. Any suggestions?

Replies

• DAnthonySmith
    DAnthonySmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At least 3
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's all dependent on your body and how much your pushing yourself in your workouts... If your not giving it a big effort you could work out twice a day everyday.Everyone is different, last year I did cardio at least 5 days a week for at least an hour a day (sometimes low intensity sometimes hiit), and did just fine, now I'm doing weight training and usually workout 5-6 days a week switching every other day between cardio and stronglift 5x5 and so far I feel fine, if i start feeling like I'm burnt out going into my workout I'll start taking days off. listen to your body and you will do wonders
  • JulieJewlsWhatever
    JulieJewlsWhatever Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I try for 3-4 a week. Gym, jogging, whatever I can get in.
  • ehardy2511
    ehardy2511 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    4 days weight training 2 days cardio or activity that raises your heart rate. One day rest
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I do 6 days a week and at no point have I become injured other than through my own errors. I do 4 lifting days with 2 core days on my current bulk. Eat and sleep enough and you should be fine as long as you're not repeatedly working the same muscle groups.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i run 3x a week, and occasionally do a bit of strength training and cycling
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days weights / body weight work out, 2 days swimming but also have a daily step goal and try to get out to walk on my lunch break ever day.
  • ricky389
    ricky389 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm currently Working out Mon, Wed, and Fri. Doing the C25K program that is 3 days a week. I feel like I could do more days a week, but I'm not sure how I should go about this. I don't wanna do too much and end up hurting myself, or making it harder for me to complete the C25K program, but I want to become more active and incorporate more into my routine. Any suggestions?

Up reps or weight
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you build up gradually with a variety of other activities that you're going to enjoy you're probably less likely to get overuse injuries.
    My core exercise is coached swimming 3 times a week and aiming to get at least 10,000 steps a day. My fun activities are yoga classes, learning ballroom dancing and ice skating. The ice skating was something I'd always fancied, then I found out my local ice rink did group adult learn to skate classes so I signed up for that about six months ago.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    ricky389 wrote: »

Up reps or weight

Um, OP is doing a running program. C25K = Couch to 5K so reps/weight is really a moot point.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Add one day during the week and see how that goes.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I change thing up according to my circumstances, but currently, I do strength/cardio six days a week, and leave Sunday for an extended session of yoga.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    To suit my goals, I train five days a week for 1-3 hours a day, and an additional day of bodyweight correctives and prehab. My coach considers all my daily movement more than enough cardio, for me and for my goals.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's really subject to the individual and there is no cover answer other than if you're running a proven program follow the program. Pay attention to your energy level, when your energy is depleted, our focus can drop and for can also. This is where injuries probably are more common.

When you start running, the idea isn't to feel wiped out when you're done. It's about getting miles under your feet so you are comfortable on adding more distance.

• jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I currently go to the gym every single day. Once I take a "rest" day I stop going for a while. I do about 30-40 minutes everyday.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week, 30-60 minutes riding, eliptical or running. 3 days a week I add toning/strength training. I'm setting myself up for long term. If I can go to the gym 6 days a week I can stick to my goals.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Add walking and/or lifting on your non-running days? When you finish C25k you can add a 4th day of running, and eventually a 5th, 6th whatever you want. But for now if you just started it's a good idea to stick to 3 with days of rest inbetween (from the running) so you don't get an overuse injury. Walking/lifting/cycling/swimming would all be just fine on your days off, or even same day if you feel like it.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    LowCoffinLucifie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    ricky389 wrote: »

Up reps or weight

Um, OP is doing a running program. C25K = Couch to 5K so reps/weight is really a moot point.

Lol this was pretty much my exact thought
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    It's all dependent on your body and how much your pushing yourself in your workouts... If your not giving it a big effort you could work out twice a day everyday.Everyone is different, last year I did cardio at least 5 days a week for at least an hour a day (sometimes low intensity sometimes hiit), and did just fine, now I'm doing weight training and usually workout 5-6 days a week switching every other day between cardio and stronglift 5x5 and so far I feel fine, if i start feeling like I'm burnt out going into my workout I'll start taking days off. listen to your body and you will do wonders

Yah i think ill just try and add another day and see how burnt i feel. Listening to my body will prob be my best option
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses, i dont wanna do a million quotes so ill just address it all in this lol.

I plan on going army so running is what ive been focusing on and doing push ups amd sit ups. So all the strength training ( unless its like planks or sit up/ push up related) isnt what im lookin for. Im needing to build my edurance mostly.

So with that beimg said i think ill just start by trying out 4 days a week now. And move up as much as i can( while lisyenimg to my body).

Still open to suggestion, but thays what i got so far.