Feeling apprehensive

Options
kittykirk
kittykirk Posts: 10 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Every night I used to go to bed feeling guilty about the food I ate then wake up dreading the next day because I didn't no which food to eat and Wat was good for me. These last few days using MFT I have felt great and not one bit guilty at all. I still feel a bit apprehensive. I still don't think it's gonna work and im going to lose weight eating the foods I would have put weight on with...anybody ever gained weight sticking to the calorie intake???

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kittykirk wrote: »
    Every night I used to go to bed feeling guilty about the food I ate then wake up dreading the next day because I didn't no which food to eat and Wat was good for me. These last few days using MFT I have felt great and not one bit guilty at all. I still feel a bit apprehensive. I still don't think it's gonna work and im going to lose weight eating the foods I would have put weight on with...anybody ever gained weight sticking to the calorie intake???

As long as you are accurately logging and in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

That being said, how are you measuring your food? If you are eyeballing you portions or using measuring cups, you may be eating more than you think. It is reccomend that you get a food/kitchen scale and weigh ALL solids (even prepackaged) to be certain of how many calories you are eating.
  • kittykirk
    Options
    I never go over my calorie goal so I was thinking that with the food thats not properly measured that wud go down for them lol I try to measure as much as possible. Do I weigh food when it's cooked or not?
  • kittykirk
    Options
    I'm gonna get a kitchen scale today just to be sure
  • elphie754
    Options
    It depends on the food, label and which entry you choose from the data base. For most food, their serving size weight is for raw/uncooked.

A scale is much more accurate. There is a really good video that people share on here that shows the difference between measuring cups and a scale. I'll try to find it for you. It's a real eye opener.
  • elphie754
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • kittykirk
    Options
    Ok thank u so much I will definitely go buy a scale today
  • jd_racer
    jd_racer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, you'll find tons of support on here. I was told by a doctor once that you need to be about 6,000 cal deficit to lose a pound of fat. Meaning if you cut 600 cal a day from your BMR than in 10 days you lose a pound. Not sure how accurate that is, but that what he told me.
  • elphie754
    Options
    You're welcome. Also, try to make the deficit a reasonable amount, so that it is sustainable and you don't end up crashing and burning.
  • elphie754
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jd_racer wrote: »
    Don't get discouraged, you'll find tons of support on here. I was told by a doctor once that you need to be about 6,000 cal deficit to lose a pound of fat. Meaning if you cut 600 cal a day from your BMR than in 10 days you lose a pound. Not sure how accurate that is, but that what he told me.

typo??

Also, you really shouldn't be eating under your BMR. Did you mean TDEE?
  • jd_racer
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

typo??

No, I asked him if he meant my BMI and he said no, pulled up a BMR calculator and ran the numbers right there. I'm not a doctor, so that's why I'm saying this was just advice given to me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @jd_racer one needs to burn 3500 calories to lose 1lbs of weight.

Eating 500 cals a day below ones TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) will equal a weight loss of 1 lbs a week.

The doctor misinformed you.

Cheers, h.
  • kittykirk
    Options
    How often should I weigh myself also. Thank use for ur help
  • jd_racer
    Options
    @jd_racer one needs to burn 3500 calories to lose 1lbs of weight.

Eating 500 cals a day below ones TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) will equal a weight loss of 1 lbs a week.

The doctor misinformed you.

Cheers, h.

Thank you for the correction. How are you calculating your TDEE? I was getting an estimate off my BMR and using the Harris Benedict Equation for a fairly active lifestyle. Then I was shooting for about a 600 cal def
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

It depends on what kind of person you are. I a bit of a math nerd so I like to weigh myself everyday and see the fluctuations of my weight. Others find that discouraging so they weigh themselves once a week. That provides a more steady line on the graph. You could weigh yourself once or twice a month if you wanted to. It's whatever you want.
  • jd_racer
    Options
    Sorry kittykirk, I didn't mean to high jack your post. I'm still so new to this, and it seems like everyone has different numbers.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @kittykirk, my apologies too for the hijack. I will pass this info on to JD then back off.

@jd_racer the fitness frog calculator posted below is pretty accurate.
    Just drop 500 cals off the number you get off the calculator to lose a pound a week. Don't forget to re calculate every 10lbs as your calorie needs drop as you lose.

Cheers, h.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

typo??

No, I asked him if he meant my BMI and he said no, pulled up a BMR calculator and ran the numbers right there. I'm not a doctor, so that's why I'm saying this was just advice given to me.

That is actually pretty scary that a MD was giving such bad information. BMI is body mass index, BMR is basal metabolic rate. You BMR is the amount of calories you would need to survive if you did no activity at all/bed bound. Going under that is not a good idea.
  • kittykirk
    Options
    momo_t90 wrote: »

It depends on what kind of person you are. I a bit of a math nerd so I like to weigh myself everyday and see the fluctuations of my weight. Others find that discouraging so they weigh themselves once a week. That provides a more steady line on the graph. You could weigh yourself once or twice a month if you wanted to. It's whatever you want.

I weighed myself today and I've put on a lb from yesterday so I'm doing something wrong
  • kittykirk
    Options
    @kittykirk, my apologies too for the hijack. I will pass this info on to JD then back off.

@jd_racer the fitness frog calculator posted below is pretty accurate.
    Just drop 500 cals off the number you get off the calculator to lose a pound a week. Don't forget to re calculate every 10lbs as your calorie needs drop as you lose.

Cheers, h.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Don't worry I'm new to all this also
  • elphie754
    Options

That is a personal preference. I step on the scale every morning to see daily trends. Some chose to only weigh once a week, once a month etc. Just be sure regardless of how much you weigh your self, you do it at the same time each time since weight fluctuates during the day. Most people choose to weigh in the morning, after using the bathroom, before breakfast in their birthday suit. Just try to keep the time of day consistent.