Pregnant and want to lose weight, please help!

Options
i just found out im 5 weeks pregnant with my second and i was planning on losing weight and getting healthier before i became pregnant again. it happened a lot faster than we planned but we are happy none the less. I just need some help and motivation to stay healthy and lose some weight while im pregnant! any advice is very welcome!

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Oh Mrs Jamie....I don't think you should be worrying about your weight while you're pregnant, unless your doctor says you need to. Eat for you and your babe.....Good luck to both of you xo
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor about this
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You should not lose weight while pregnant unless under your doctor's supervision and your doctor approves this. Your weight loss efforts could compromise your baby's development. You can work on your weight after your baby is born - pregnancy is a short period in your life. Enjoy it and have a healthy pregnancy!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the above. Speak with your doctor. He/she can give you best advice for your current BMI and how much you should gain. Stay healthy and make the right choices for you and your baby. Congratulations!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Speak with your doctor. However, you can still log what you eat and adjust for pregnancy. The "magic number" is that you should be eating about 300 calories more for your growing baby a day. If you feel hungry, eat. You may want to focus more on healthy eating habits, so that after baby comes, you have a head start on losing those added pounds from pregnancy.
  • mrsjamiemcgee
    mrsjamiemcgee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you every one! im going to talk to my dr about it. for now ive started to eat healthier and will track what i eat each day. i didnt plan on losing much weight while pregnant but since i am obese i wanted to at least just maintain where im at.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. Please rethink this idea and speak to your doctor. Losing weight may not be the best idea for you.
    Right now your growing a human. That needs to be #1 priority. After you give birth , you will have plenty of time to worry about your weight. For now just worry about having a healthy baby.
  • adnam08manda
    adnam08manda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I weighed 160 this time last year, I was 200 about a month ago, and now I'm 5 weeks pregnant and 209. That is the largest I have ever been by about 30 pounds. I'm wanting to lose fat but not by calorie restricting, more so by eating better overall.
    I'm the perfect stereotype of an obese American right now. I eat Cook Out, ice cream, pizza, and pasta all the time. So now I'm going to focus on eating the right foods instead (fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins) and focus on eating healthy instead of eating less. I've already gave up coffee + creamer, which was super bad for me in all ways so I know I can handle this as well. I'm also going to start walking more (which means more calories but in healthy foods, not pasta!)
    If I lose weight, great, but if not, then at least I'm being healthier for my little nugget. Congratulations on your baby!!! I'm guessing you're due around Halloween also!
  • my_cleanfit_journey
    my_cleanfit_journey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Being physically active is always good but I wouldn't restrict calories. You should talk to your dr about your concerns for sure!
  • Y_U_NO_SKINNY
    Y_U_NO_SKINNY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Be physically active and be conscious about what goes into your mouth. Dont eat chips and chcooate etc. Just eat fruts veggies whole grains and lean proteins. Very easy and I doubt any doctor would disagree with that advice. I did read somewhere while pregnant your caloric i take should only increase about 300 calories a day while pregnant to account for what the baby is using....so id assume you can at least not gain weight during this time. Focus on maintaining and only "gaining" the baby and ita s surrounding fluids. Id assume that's safe. But check with your doctor.