Frustrated and confused

Options
So for the past month I have been on a 1500 calorie diet. I've kept my sugar and carbs low, my protein high. Sunday I walk for a hour, M, W, & F I do weight training, and T & Th I train for a 5k. I haven't lost a pound, lost nothing. I don't understand why. I know that I'm probably gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, but I've lost nothing. I don't know why I'm not and its really frustrating. If anyone has an idea or suggestions it would be great. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    k0pplcov8bqy.jpg
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    An open diary would help see what you were eating and logging. Diary / Settings / scroll down bottom left set to "Public".

Also tell us something about yourself like height / weight / age / gender / medical issues
  • luckilyunique
    luckilyunique Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    5'5", 130 lbs, 32, female, thyroid but it is in check. I have the tire so to speak, I want to be ready for bathing suit season. I also use a Fitbit. Will admit I do go over some, but usually not by much and it's on healthy foods. I also over guess on the amount of food because I don't have a good scale, so I'm probably not eating as much as I log but I want to be on the safe side.

Diary is now public!

Thanks
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need use a food scale and be careful of which entries you select out of database. Are those your recipes?
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I see a couple of things with your diary:
    *It looks like you are using measuring cups instead of a food scale. Measuring cups are not as accurate.
    *There are a few "generic" entries. These too are not very accurate.
    *Things like - .888 an avocado? Again, weigh!
    * Even things like bread should be weighed.

Are you using the recipe tool for your entries labeled homemade?

You are only going over your calories a little bit each day, but if you are not using a food scale to weigh your food, you could be actually consuming upwards of 400 calories a day extra from inaccuracies.
  • luckilyunique
    Options
    Some are, the hot chicken salad casserole is based off what was already in. I should probably add my recipe and see if it changes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    5'5", 130 lbs, 32, female, thyroid but it is in check. I have the tire so to speak, I want to be ready for bathing suit season. I also use a Fitbit. Will admit I do go over some, but usually not by much and it's on healthy foods. I also over guess on the amount of food because I don't have a good scale, so I'm probably not eating as much as I log but I want to be on the safe side.

Diary is now public!

Thanks

You're at a healthy weight. If anything, aim for 1/2 a pound a week.
    What is your goal weight?

How confident are you in the "sausage cheese balls" calorie count? And the chicken salad? Those two alone could be way way way off.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I took a look at a few weeks of your diary; you go over your calories by hundreds quite often. On top of that, you don't appear to be weighing anything you eat, so the days you go 300 calories over you could actually be over by 500+ calories. There are other days where you have gaps in your logging. Days where you just have coffee and a protein bar and only 600 calories are eaten for the day. Is that the case or did you just not log the rest of the day? Your logging needs to be tighter than what it is from what I can see. My guess is that unless you've gained weight, you've been eating at maintenance.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's likely you are not losing because you are at a healthy weight already and you are weight training. How does your total daily burn from your fitbit compare to your intake?
  • Outrageous_HappYness
    Outrageous_HappYness Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with much of the sentiments here. Guesstimating leads to frustration which is what you are feeling. You don't have to purchase an expensive scale, but for clarity you should get one. It helps BIG TIME! I would also suggest that you do body measurements. The scale will not reflect inches lost.

Finally - And I KNOW this will not be a welcomed thought YET it is the KEY. Be completely honest with yourself. DON'T DIET but track everything. The first step in healthy eating/living is being truthful with yourself. Sometimes we are not eating enough other times we are eating too much. The key is if you guess or "omit" then you really don't know.

YOU CAN DO THIS and you will see the changes you are looking for.
  • luckilyunique
    Options
    I got sick with a stomach virus (some of the missing logs) and well I was lucky you just get something in. Yeah, I'm going to buy a food scale today hopefully. I didn't realize that not weighing could make that big of difference. I am a single mom on the go and sometimes i just go for what's easy. Thank guys for making me take a closer look at things. Didn't realize a few things that I thought were small could cause this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I got sick with a stomach virus (some of the missing logs) and well I was lucky you just get something in. Yeah, I'm going to buy a food scale today hopefully. I didn't realize that not weighing could make that big of difference. I am a single mom on the go and sometimes i just go for what's easy. Thank guys for making me take a closer look at things. Didn't realize a few things that I thought were small could cause this.

One last suggestion: you're aiming for health as well I assume? Try adding more fresh, whole foods. Vegetables, fruits etc to your day. Good modeling for your kids as well.
  • luckilyunique
    Options
    Last question: when I go out to dinner how am I suppose to log what I eat out? I live in a small city so not all restaurants are on here.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Diary is now public!

Thanks

You body does not give a fig about whether you go over on "unhealthy" foods, or "healthy" ones. It does not make any difference if you put too much butter or Nutella on your toast, or eat more of that pineapple or no-sugar-added oatmeal.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    I also live in a small town and most of our restaurants are locally owned. When I eat there I look for nutrition information from chain restaurants that have similar dishes and that is what I use when I log. I'll usually look at two or three and pick the highest one. It isn't correct but it's pretty close and the best I can do. And I agree about the food scale. You won't lose weight going over even if the foods are healthy. And since you are already at a really good weight and don't have much to lose you don't have much margin for error. Hang in there. You can do it.
  • luckilyunique
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I also live in a small town and most of our restaurants are locally owned. When I eat there I look for nutrition information from chain restaurants that have similar dishes and that is what I use when I log. I'll usually look at two or three and pick the highest one. It isn't correct but it's pretty close and the best I can do. And I agree about the food scale. You won't lose weight going over even if the foods are healthy. And since you are already at a really good weight and don't have much to lose you don't have much margin for error. Hang in there. You can do it.

I went out for sushi last night and I had no clue what to do. I will definitely remember this, thanks!

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nobody's going to point out that muscle does not weigh more than fat, or that the OP didn't gain muscle while eating at a deficit? Nobody?

ETA: Agree with all the suggestions to tighten up your logging and weigh all food. That chart posted up-thread is pure gold!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've been doing little test over the past week, trying to guess the weight of things, and I failed dismally.

Calamari- My guess 150g, scale weight 280g

Ceaser salad- My guess 35g, scale weight 80g

Rib eye Steak- My guess 260g, scale weight 480g

I could go on and on :blushing: My point is, get a food scale and use it for everything!
  • MrsMilesy73
    MrsMilesy73 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've been doing little test over the past week, trying to guess the weight of things, and I failed dismally.

Calamari- My guess 150g, scale weight 280g

Ceaser salad- My guess 35g, scale weight 80g

Rib eye Steak- My guess 260g, scale weight 480g

I could go on and on :blushing: My point is, get a food scale and use it for everything!

Lol, at the start I was the same, guestimating things, surprising how wrong you are with things.
    Also with the recipes, I find the recipe finder can be off with Cals, so I add all the ingredient cals separately, then divide by however many serves I get from that dish.