How much fats, protein and carbs should be consumed on a 1200 calorie diet?

Options
I set my macro nutrients to 20% carbs, 20% fat and 60% protein, with a 1200 calorie intake. Is this right? Should carbs and fats be set at 20% and protein 60%?

Replies

• mrmason86
    mrmason86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you are on 1200 calories per day?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I set my macro nutrients to 20% carbs, 20% fat and 60% protein, with a 1200 calorie intake. Is this right? Should carbs and fats be set at 20% and protein 60%?

1200 is MFP's lowest minimum default. Many new members get 1200 because they set their weekly weight loss goal too high. There are women for whom 1200 is appropriate....seniors & very petite ladies.

60% protein seems really excessive. No need to limit carbs that severely unless you have medical issues.

https://healthyeater.com/how-to-calculate-your-macros

Excerpt from link above....
    First let’s start with protein. Protein is essential for the growth of new tissue as well as fixing broken tissue – like what happens when you work out. Protein should be your new best friend if you want to maintain muscle. A balanced approach (for most people) is to start with .825 g protein per pound.
  • yulivalencia15
    yulivalencia15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want more , either to lose weight or gain muscle , if you want to lose weight I recommend 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat if you want to gain muscle more than losing weight I recommend 50% protein 30%carbs and 20% fat :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want more , either to lose weight or gain muscle , if you want to lose weight I recommend 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat if you want to gain muscle more than losing weight I recommend 50% protein 30%carbs and 20% fat :)

Gaining muscle means eating at a surplus (OP is eating 1200). While losing weight, the goal is to maintain existing lean muscle, not gain it.
  • bekabutler
    bekabutler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight look into LCHF diets. I follow this with my my carbs at 10% fat 60% and protein at 30%. I recommend that you research it and not go off what you hear since everyone has different views. I have researched this diet for several months and I am 9 days in with 10.5lbs lost. Good luck and you are welcomed to friend me :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why 1200? What are your current stats and goals?

If MFP gave you that for 2 lb/day, remember that that assumes you eat back exercise calories also. Also, why not go with MFP's default for fat, protein, and carbs too?

How I did it, however, is figure out the proper grams of protein. From my research protein up to about .6-.85 grams per lb of healthy weight (or goal weight) can be helpful in maintaining muscle as you lose weight, as well as for fitness/athletic performance (assuming you are exercising).

I am 125, which is in the healthy weight range, so I figured my protein grams by taking .8*125=100, and aim for about 100 grams of protein. IF I were at 1200 (which I am not, that's lower than makes sense for me), I would then be eating 100 grams or 400 calories of protein or .33% (I'd round to 30 or 35%). For carbs and fat I'd make sure I was at least 25% fat if as low as 1200, and that leaves 40-45% for carbs. If you feel better with 30% fat or more, that's fine too. I tend to like 40% carbs, 30% fat and protein when losing weight.

There's no benefit to LCHF for weight loss, but some like it. I enjoy eating lots of vegetables, fruits, and various starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes and pasta, and my idea of a balanced meal includes protein, carbs (both lots of veg and starchy carbs) and fat, so I am not interested in it. The one thing I wouldn't do is follow a LCHF diet that is so low that you cut out or down on vegetables -- I am very pro eating lots of vegetables.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    should be 18% carbs, 22% Protein. 60% fats.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If I could only eat 1,200 calories a day, I would eat my cat's throw up.
    I would last 10 seconds eating that little.
    Sets me up for bingeing.

It's all about calories. Does not matter what macros you set up.
    I'm at 60% carbs. I make sure they are super healthy carbs.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Nope, over 35% protein would be widely regarded as excessive.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    bekabutler wrote: »
    If you are looking to lose weight look into LCHF diets. I follow this with my my carbs at 10% fat 60% and protein at 30%. I recommend that you research it and not go off what you hear since everyone has different views. I have researched this diet for several months and I am 9 days in with 10.5lbs lost. Good luck and you are welcomed to friend me :)

All you need to lose fat is a calorie restriction.
    If you want to lose water then you can try all the fad diets to do that.
    If you want to lose water muscle and fat then go on too much of a calorie restriction.
    It's up to you

I get all my muscle building done on 100g of protein a day, which is 2 bowls greek yoghurt, a meat/fish or two or combo of beans and high protein carbs, plus a calorie EXCESS. I fill the rest with carbs and fats.

I eat the same amount of protein whether I'm cutting bulking or maintaining.
    It's based on the .8g of protein per pound of body weight.
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    60% protein is really high. Protein should be between 10% and 35% of your daily calories. More specifically, you need about .8 g of protein for every kilogram of body weight. So, take your weight in lbs, divide by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms, then multiply by .8 to get the number of grams of protein you should eat in a day.

In addition, your 1200-calorie goal is not healthy. There is no magic pill to quick and healthy weight loss, not even severe calorie deprivation. You should only be losing between 1-2 lbs a week.

One pound of fat is 3,500 calories. Divided into 7 days is a 500 calorie deficit per day. Say you need 2,300 calories per day to maintain weight. If you eat 1,800 calories, you will be losing a pound a week. In one year, you'll be 52 lbs lighter.

Now, you may say "but I want to lose 2 lbs a week!" This may or may not be healthy for you, depending on how overweight you are. If you're just trying to shed off a few pounds, you shouldn't be aiming to lose 2 lbs a week.
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In addition, do not limit your carbs like that! Carbs are not bad!! They are your main source of energy. Focus on eating the right kind of carbs, like whole grains, instead of cutting them out. Your carbohydrate intake should be between 45% and 65% of your calorie intake.