People are very frustrating (rant)

Options
2»

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have never asked someone why they are eating that giant bacon cheeseburger, becuase they are already over-weight! Ugh!

LOL I love it! That rates up there with insisting a pregnant woman is carrying twins after she's told you she's not. People can be rude without realizing it. I usually don't have a problem advising someone when they've crossed the line.

Seriously though, what is with people and their need to know 'everything'? I don't care that I'm 6 feet tall and hide my weight well. Just because someone thinks I look fine 40# overweight does not mean it is, and their opinions don't change my goals one way or the other.
  • lmk224
    lmk224 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If this frustrates you don't tell them, it's really that simple. You don't even have to tell them that you're continuing to lose you can simply say "oh, I'm content. Now it's all about maintenance." Or lie.

Mwahahaha love it, I've had to do that before...
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    their opinions don't change my goals one way or the other.
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5' but I've been told that I have a large build, so for me it's not so much about the weight that I need to lose. Right now I want to get down to 150 or so. Once I get there, I will decide how much more I need to lose.

My goals are to get healthy and active. Each individual is different. I've come to realize that it's how that person feels. With me, I know how I feel when I see myself naked.:blushing:

Don't let them get to you. You do what's best for you.
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to change my goals but I do think I'm not going to tell people my goals when they ask
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing all of the time. I think that in general most people are so used to seeing obese, overweight, fluffy, chubby, cuddly, voluptuous, curvy (or whatever other words you like to descibe someone not in their ideal weight zone) that they have no idea what a healthy weight is or what healthy actually looks like.

My goal weight is literally exactly smack in the middle of what the BMI says I should weigh. Now I know it's outdated and not highly accurate but at my goal weight I should be thin and muscular and by no means sick looking or fragile or overly thin, definitely not dangerously thin like everyone seems to think.

I would just tell people you have no set weight goal you just want to tone up, build lean muscle and try to lose a few clothing sizes. Maybe then you won't get so much negativity.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Dont tell anyone what you want to weigh! Just tell them you are not really concentrating on losing, you are concentrating on being healthy. People can be obnoxious! Like the people who say to me "why are you eating a salad for lunch your already thin" ..... I have never asked someone why they are eating that giant bacon cheeseburger, becuase they are already over-weight! Ugh!

Lol the end of that made me laugh. I have people say the same thing about weight and salads. I'm 5ft and 1/2 inch, so I'm aiming for about 105ish too. With the salad thing it's my sister, apparently salads just arent good enough for her or something or healthy enough because she nit picks the dressing,or if there's chicken on it... blah blah blah! Tells me when I'm eating something bad, and then gets mad because I'm losing weight and she's stuck.
    (sorry this started to turn into a vent...lol, oops)
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Same problem! I'm 5' 2" and am 130. I want to be 110. I get the same comments. Or I get the "don't starve yourself so much" or "eat whatever you want, just work out." People don't understand how hard it is for smaller people to lose weight. And extra weight shows up so much faster on us. 5 lbs on us compared to 5 lbs on a 5'8" woman is going to look drastically different. Your goal is not too low. Know that you're not the only one.

I get the " don't starve yourself " one all the time from my mother in law. It's like she thinks because I'm not eating desert I'm starving myself

I get the dessert thing, and the dinner thing from everyone. Last night my fiance came home after I ate dinner, he was ordering pizza and asked if I wanted something. I said no thanks, but he ordered my fav anyway just incase I changed my mind. He told me he doesn't see me eat enough. I do too, but lord only knows how much I would weigh if I ate what he thinks is enough. I know he meant well, but I resisted. :)
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would like to give people the benefit of the doubt and agree that they don't realize what normal is because so many people are overweight but what I really think is most people don't like it when you start losing weight because it makes THEM feel bad. Going from 300 to 160 showed me a lot of this. When I lost the first 100lbs everyone was smiles and hugs and "how wonderful" When I got closer to a "normal" weight that is when I started hearing "do you ever eat?" "you have lost enough" "you are going to get sick", etc. My husband's family was the worst and he loves messing with people so when I would leave the room he would tell them that I had gastric bypass surgery. He said he did it because they would rather hear that than the truth that you could lose that much weight just by diet and exercise. I found people watching what I put on my plate at parties and commenting on it "no wonder you are so skinny" " i could never eat like that" etc. I just tell them I eat healthy, I exercise and this is what I need to do to not weigh 300lbs again.
  • spitfire423
    Options
    I TOO AM 5 FOOT FLAT, I STARTED THIS AT 113 ISH I THINK AND MY GOAL WAS 105-101 ISH..... I HAVE MY MOTHERS BOOTY AND NO BOOBS HAHA MY LEFTOVERS FROM MY 3 KIDS IS STILL HANGING AROUND MY TUMMY AND HIPS, OK SO 110 ISNT FAT I KNOW THAT BUT ITS ABOUT MAKEING MYSELF FEEL BETTER IN MY CLOTHEING NOT ABOUT BEING SKIN AND BONES. I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR TRYING FOR, IM RIGHT THERE WITH YA... ADD ME IF YOU WANT US "TOO SKINNY" GIRLS CAN NOT EAT BACON CHEESEBURGERS TOGETHER... :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that people in my everyday life don't seem to understand why my goal weight is so low. Every time I'm asked how much more I want to lose or what I want to be at I get the same response " OMG that's too small" or " you shouldn't loose that much, you'll look sick". It really makes it so that I don't even want to answer these questions anymore because I feel like I have to lie to everyone so they don't make me feel like I have unrealistic or unhealthy goals. My goal weight is around 105 lbs. The reason it is so low is because I am only 5 feet tall. When I try to tell people that this is a healthy weight for my height they just don't believe me. It's just very frustrating and I had to rant a bit :)

Just ignore them, they don't know anything. It varies depending on height and also body build. I can see you are a petite and have a small frame so 105 lbs is OK. My mother stand around 5'1, has small body frame and only has 100lbs. or sometimes even lesser but she's so healthy for her age at 63 and doesn't look like anorexic. I'm even more sickly than her because me only at 32, I'm already taking 2 maintenance medications whereas she doesn't.