brittanysimone735 Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have runners knee!
    Depends what you mean by 'bad'?

• Ieyen
    Ieyen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you're okay with using your own body weight , and using a DVD , of these 'ballet beautiful' workouts can give your glutes/hamstrings a pretty serious workout without straining the knee. http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RWKOM512TTSCT/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B008F283J0#RWKOM512TTSCT

however there there's not much for quads (i think that's due to the ballet 'aesthetic' but I don't really know much about ballet). The first time I did this, it felt like i'd just done a ton of deadlifts. It's killer.

I can't comment on long term or routine use though, I was using this as the occasional supplement to my workouts, with the goal of addressing some hip flexibility and posture issues that I think are due to weak glutes/hamstrings.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd second the ballet-based exercise. I do a Barre class, and it's all about isometric movements - small (inch up, inch down) type exercises, that strengthen the muscles without putting massive strain on the legs, IMO. For me, the first Barre class I went to, my quads killed for about 3 days - because they weren't a muscle group I was concentrating on in any other type of exercise. It has definitely done great stuff for my quads and glutes! I've always been a classic pear, but for the first time ever, the tops of my thighs are looking toned and slim(mer!). I'd always just presumed that big thighs were an inevitability for my body type, but regular barre classes seem to be changing all of that. BTW, I have slightly dodgy knees (as a result of being overweight, I'm sure), and my weight loss has made such a difference. These days, I still have the occasional knee tweaks, but I've discovered that Barre, pilates and spinning are keeping them supple and working! All low/no-impact exercises for knees.