going over in proetin everyday is this ok

Options
question for everyone i seen to be high in protein every day is this a good thing or should i cut back, also whats a good fiber food besides greens. ?

Replies

• vintagecrimes
    vintagecrimes Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am also curious about this and was going to post a discussion about it myself, so I hope people reply. From what I have learned at my job and people who are nutritional gurus, is that protein takes longer in the body to digest and consuming high amounts of it without working out to build muscle will turn to fat? Protein is found in many foods, so most people do not need to add whey or soy protein powder to their food unless they are deficient or work out a lot. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I won't be offended. I am curious as well and have not started my nutrition workbook for work yet where I will learn more about this.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Personally I would either set the goals to a more comfortable level or change what I was eating. Seems odd to me to have a goal I don't meet. Your diary is closed so can't say much else, but within reason being over protein isn't likely to be a problem.

Mushrooms, raspberries, oat bran, wheat bran, flax / linseed, carrot
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Many people will look at their fat and protein goals as minimums to reach.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What do you have your protein goal set at? And what's your usual protein intake? Protein goals on mfp are usually low.
  • kellyek6288
    kellyek6288 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The more protein you consume the more active you have to be. Or the more active you are the more protein you need. But most women require 100-120 grams of protein daily or 15-20 grams per serving. Most men will require 120-180 grams per day or 20-30 grams per serving. If you add low carbs (mostly from vegetables) and high fat (good fat) it kinda makes it a bit harder to get the protein, at least for me. But i recommend a nutritionist, dietitian or a workout trainer. Maybe read nutrition books. Hope this helps.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    But most women require 100-120 grams of protein daily or 15-20 grams per serving. Most men will require 120-180 grams per day or 20-30 grams per serving.
    No. The RDA for non-pregnant, non-lactating women is 46 grams per day and for men is 56 grams per day. This is adequate protein for 97-98% of those populations.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

Eating some more protein is fine, especially if you are active, but your numbers are way too high for a baseline.
  • FitNurselove3
    FitNurselove3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat some form of animal protein with each meal... Usually my protein intake is higher than my other macros...protein helps build muscle. Muscle burns fat. Protein also helps you stay full longer.. But you should be eating at least 5 small meals a day.. With a healthy snack in between..portion control is important also.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You're good. If you lift weights, you're definitely good.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Most Americans get more protein than they need. If you push the upper protein limits hard enough, you can overtax your kidneys, which are in charge of filtering out the nitrogen waste products from breaking down protein. Google "what happens if I eat too much protein." There's a lot of information swirling around out there about protein and weight loss and muscle building, but if you stick to the more respectable medical articles you'll probably conclude that a lot of the protein hype lacks a foundation.

It's easy to make this whole thing a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Priority number one should be to keep your calories within the limit you've set for yourself. All the other stuff can be fit in somehow after you meet that number one goal. The odds that you're adding muscle fast enough to need a ton of excess protein are pretty small. Your body is quite flexible about its food sources. For most of us, the problem is simple: too much food. We didn't evolve in conditions of such plenty, we evolved under the constant threat of starvation.

As for a good fiber, the Internet is your friend here, too. Google "foods high in fiber" and you'll find many charts. Some of the easiest and tastiest high-fiber foods are beans and avocados, but nuts and whole grains have fiber, too, and most vegetables have a good bit, not just leafy greens.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But you should be eating at least 5 small meals a day.. With a healthy snack in between

Somewhat unnecessary. Sounds more like a grazing animal than a free living human.