Weight training terminology

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
There are lots of people who come to the site and look to add "strength" training, then are told to do "Insanity", "Bodypump", etc.
So for sake of learning, here's the correct terminology for the weight lifting regimen one may be applying to their own exercising.

STRENGTH TRAINING Strength training would consist of progressively increasing resistance in small increments for any given exercise and rep range between 1-6 per set. Increase is usually done every couple of weeks or so.

RESISTANCE TRAINING Resistance training DOESN'T have to be progressive nor very intense. Rep range would be anywhere from 1-15 reps per set. This is ideal for many to just maintain current strength level and to keep the muscle conditioned.

MUSCULAR ENDURANCE TRAINING This training is usually with light resistance or even body weight and a rep range of 15+ per set (or sometimes called rounds).

Just about any exercise style one does will fall under these 3 weight training methods. As you can see, "Bodypump" isn't a strength training program, but a muscular endurance program based on the repetitions done in classes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Nice of you to break down the terminology @ninerbuff.

Thanks, h.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    o:)<3:)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Should also clarify weight training is not Weightlifting
    Weightlifting is the Olympic sport
    No standard reistance training.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great thread. I have noticed that often here people will say they are strength training but then when I ask which program they are using, they say they are doing some type of beach body DVD. At least now we can point them to this thread so they can see the difference between a body weight exercise and a strength training program.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking. Good idea @thorsmom01
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Would you agree that resistance training & bodyweight CAN be both intense and progressive for lots of people (not advanced lifters)?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Would you agree that resistance training & bodyweight CAN be both intense and progressive for lots of people (not advanced lifters)?

Yes.

You can work towards very advanced feats of dynamic and isometric strength using bodyweight exercise progressions.

examples: 1 arm chin up, 1 arm plyometric push up, single arm handstand, human flag, etc...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I think this is a great thread. I have noticed that often here people will say they are strength training but then when I ask which program they are using, they say they are doing some type of beach body DVD. At least now we can point them to this thread so they can see the difference between a body weight exercise and a strength training program.

I have already managed to do that @thorsmom01. It was so nice to be able to link to a succinct explanation.

@lorrpb I would agree with you on that. When one is coming from 'weak as a kitten', like I probably was, Nerdfitness' or a similar body weight routine can fulfil ones needs.

Cheers, h.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Yes. Plyometrics is a good example of intense training with progression with just body weight alone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png