How do you get your protein?

Options

Replies

• missy7979
    missy7979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I saw start with meal planning- eat a protein with every meal and snack building them around the protein source.
  • youdowant
    youdowant Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat humans. Cut them up and put them in soup.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Coytage cheese, almonds, eggs, beef....found out yesterday, salmon (leftover from yesterday)..I only needed an ounce to bump it up to perfectly balance my protein yesterday. And, I juggle with amounts of serving sizes of protein within my food log.

If your Carbs are too high, eat more protein to balance down rhe Carbs. I pre-plan my meals, so I can juggle the numbers before I eat them.

I juggle with Carbs, Protein, Fats...everything has to equal out to a total of 100%..
  • kcdambuster
    kcdambuster Posts: 217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    wrote:
    I eat humans. Cut them up and put them in soup.

Human Beans?

B)
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    These are my main sources typically

h05f2wytuz6v.png
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I stack my proteins most of the time too. Some breads and tortillas, etc will have more protein than others. Read packages.

So a sandwich could have the bread, a lean slice of cheese or smear of cottage cheese (weighed) and a good hunk (again weighed) of whatever meat and then a veg to bulk it up if you like big meals. Fresh baby spinach would be a good lettuce to use.

Breakfast I love making burritos or tacos. I use 1/2 to 1 serving of refried beans to smear on the tortillas (some whole wheat flour low carb tortillas have low calories or use corn tortillas) 2 eggs scrambled to split between them, some kind of lean meat shredded like chicken or turkey then top with plain greek yogurt mixed with some hot sauce or salsa. You can bulk up the quantities by adding chopped leafy greens or bell peppers. Calories depend on how much you make. Good protein start to the day as well as moderate carbs and fat.

A lot of my meals end up like that. Pair a meat with reasonable cheese - some lower cal than others - and plain fat free greek yogurt.

My current fat free greek plain yogurt has 22g protein and 120 calories per cup (227 grams). Yogurt doesn't have to be sweet. I mix it with lots of things to make savory sauces. Or just a dollop (weighed) on top to mix in like a sour cream.

• lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and have started eating a lot of peanut butter and other nuts. I've started focusing on the snacks in between meals to try to get some protein in little bits throughout the day.
  • thatrabidgirl
    thatrabidgirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lentils! A 1/4 cup will have about 11g of protein... I've gotten into the habit of cooking it as a side and eating it like rice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, and find it quite easy to get protein.

For breakfast mine usually comes from 2 eggs, plus something else (either cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt or smoked salmon or last week I made a tofu stir fry with extra vegetables). Occasionally I feel like oats instead, and I add protein powder to the oats.

For lunch either beans/lentils or falafel/hummus (doesn't have a lot, that's a lower protein option), or some sort of meat (for example, salad with chicken on it or a shrimp wrap or turkey sandwich or dinner leftovers). I also often have either nuts or greek yogurt with fruit in the afternoon, which add to protein.

For dinner I usually have fish/shell fish or some other kind of meat. Sure, chicken, but also pork chops or a leaner cut of beef or turkey or lamb. I also might have tofu instead or a bean-based dish (although I typically add tofu or meat to this if it's at dinner) or, if I didn't have my omelet for breakfast I might have it for dinner. I also sometimes enjoy cottage cheese as a side or post-dinner snack. (Regular cheese or ice cream, which I also sometimes eat as a dessert after dinner has a little protein too, although not a lot for the calories.)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Apart from Fridays in Lent, I tend to eat meat on many/most days. Beyond that you can always use protein bars or shakes. I'm not a big fan of the higher-protein veggies myself,
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of critters.
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My regulars...
    Chicken, fish, cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, eggs, a lot of the bread/wraps I use also have a decent amount per serving. Protein powder/bars if I need something quick at work. Like others have said I just make sure to make protein present at every meal and snack.
  • FitnessPrincess9
    FitnessPrincess9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As a vegan I get all of my protein from veggies and beans. There is no such thing as a protein deficiency, so don't worry about not getting enough.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    sndarling9 wrote: »
    As a vegan I get all of my protein from veggies and beans. There is no such thing as a protein deficiency, so don't worry about not getting enough.

The stuff in bold = rubbish.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    sndarling9 wrote: »

Yes there is. Because of my disease I have suffered from very low blood albumin. Not fun
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and get my protein from nuts like almonds, cashews and peanuts, kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils and other pulses, grains inc oats, quinoa and buckwheat, seeds, tofu, seitan, soya (milk, yoghurt, 'cheese', mince etc) and veg.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat meat. Chicken or steak. Pretty simple.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Check out www.labdoor.com They are an independent company that does blind testing on a lot of things, like protein powders, supplements, green tea, creatine, etc. https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

Their highest rated protein powder can be found on Amazon, or you can buy directly from Labdoor. I personally use it (MyProtein Impact Whey Isolate, in Chocolate Smooth). It tastes very good and mixes really well. It's also around $30 for a 2.2 lb bag, which I don't think is unreasonable (I used to pay twice that for another product that is ranked lower on their list).
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I know that some people don't want to take their protein as a whey powder - each to their own. But, it's probably worth pointing out that the last time I calculated it out (couple of years ago), per gram of protein, only eggs and cottage cheese came close to being as cheap as the brand of whey powder I tend to buy. Tuna was considerably more expensive per gram and chicken and beef even more again.

Of course, if you object to it or can't stomach the stuff then the price is irrelevant.
  • manukahoneybadger
    manukahoneybadger Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat so have to try and tuck protein into all things to hit my target (80-100g)...

So I have egg whites with pretty much everything- little mushroomy stir-fries for breakfast even.

I chose vegetables with higher protein (especially broccoli & peas )

I dollop cottage cheese and/or quark on most things, and sometimes make a yummy desert style nom of
    cottage cheese mashed in with
    soya protein isolate +stevia.

I have fish sometimes because I cannot emote to fish, not that I've tried excessively :)