Dumbbell program

Options
Where can I get a printable dumbbell strength training program for senior women?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction today but if you don't get any replies, please tag me and I will get a program from my aunts trainer for you ( she's 86 and the senior program she goes to has a trainer come weekly and help the seniors exercise. He has all the proper certifications and has been working with seniors in rehabilitation and continuing mobility for 11 yrs ) so if you don't get any response from this thread, feel free to tag me and I'll be happy to ask him for a program that you can print . do you have any major mobility issues ?
  • 2katlover
    2katlover Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Can't do real low squats because of knees, can't do that sit up where you slowly roll up and down, no stomach muscles. That would be great thanks.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    OK , just tag me to remind me and when I go next time I will ask him. He will be there Saturday morning from 9-12 so I can ask then.
  • 2katlover
    Options
    How do I tag you.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    2catslover wrote: »
    How do I tag you.

Use the @ sign like this. @2catslover and like this @thorsmom01 No spaces between their name and sign
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Yep ^ that's how. I will definitely tag you when I have the answer to your question.
  • 2katlover
    Options
    @2catslover @thorsmom01. Is this how you meant to do it?
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Yes ! That's exactly how to do it! Good job !
    I'm going Saturday morning so will definitely remember to get you the information. I will update you here on this thread sometime Saturday.
    I spoke to the trainer Tuesday and asked him to put together something for me for my other aunt ( yeah I lied, you aren't my aunt . lol ! ) and told him all the info I gathered from this thread. He said he would print me the workouts and have it ready for me when I see him Saturday.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    This is the exact program my aunt does. She started with 2 lb dumb bells and has worked herself up to 5lb. Dumb bells

Please make sure this is okay with your doctor. Since I don't know your complete medical history ,I just wanted to make sure your doctor says this is okay.

Here are some helpful links for seniors beginning strength training

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/beginningweighttraining/a/atoz.htm

Here is the program-
    Start by watching the links provided to be sure you understand what each specific exercise /lift means and be sure to use proper form. Watch videos on YouTube to see proper form for these movements. Form is extremely important.

You will do 3 sets of 8 repetitions.
    Rest one to two mins between each exercise.

over head press (3 sets ,8 reps. But if 8 is too much at first, that's okay ! Do what you can and work up to 8! Even if it takes months !)

Arm curl- 3 sets of 8 reps. Same rules apply! If this is too much, just do what you can !

Tri CEP extension- 3 sets of 8, same rules

Forward lunge ( be careful with this one ! Go slow ! Slow and steady wins the race !)

Front raise -

Standing rows-

This completes the senior circuit strength training! Remember, this will take time to be able to do all at once. Break it up if needed! Slow and steady !

Also remember- please go on YouTube or any other senior exercise instruction site to watch other seniors perform this movements first before attempting. Proper form is most important to prevent injury ! Watch as long as needed until your confident enough to try these exercises out. You can even start without the dumbbell just to get used to the movements! Best of luck !
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi @2catslover, I see you are a year younger than me.

Don't let your age deter you.
    You are wise to start slow and progress as you get stronger, but don't limit yourself.

I am no natural exerciser, a glass if wine a piece of cake and a good book is much more me, so what is written below is attainable for women of our age in reasonable health.

I started in my mid 50's doing cardio that included some resistance work.
    Aqua fit. That was great to begin with as it built strength, posture, balance, & mobility, with low impact.
    I then did Pilates type classes to increase cardio and strength a little more.

Then I started Nerdfitness body exercises. I followed that for 2+ years going from collapsing mid plank to finding more complex alternatives. It is still my fall back when on the road.

This winter at 62yo I started All Pro a compound progressive lifting routine based on the bar bell. As I can't use a 45lbs barbell for all moves, I have adapted to use hand weights and body bars.

Below is a link to a hand weight routine that is designed for an older person.
    I also encourage you to look at the Nerdfitness programme.

Cheers, h.

Hand weight routine.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

Bodyweight routine
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Just remembered this HasFit. Great workout, just break it down to manageable portions to begin with.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Dr. Joyce Vedral? Her "Weight Training Made Easy" is AWESome if you can find a copy. I think she's in her late 60's now and is incredible.