Skipping breakfast?

Options
babygooshzarn
babygooshzarn Posts: 10 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have never been a breakfast person, but my grandma has drilled into my head since I was little that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day ". She always says it's horrible to skip it. Since I've started counting calories a couple of months ago, I've been eating breakfast. But Id honestly rather save those calories for a bigger lunch, or for a snack in the afternoon. Is it really that bad if I skip breakfast?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Meal timing does not matter.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Meal timing does not matter.

+1
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I also hate breakfast it is bad that you skip breakfast keeps you full throughout the day and gives you energy to move your energy booster for the day.. I usually just have a fruit salad in the morning with plain oatmeal
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    ^^ What they said.

Eating certain meals, etc, doesn't matter for weight loss. If you're not hungry in the morning, go ahead and eat later.

:)

~Lyssa
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I also hate breakfast it is bad that you skip breakfast keeps you full throughout the day and gives you energy to move your energy booster for the day.. I usually just have a fruit salad in the morning with plain oatmeal

If you don't want to eat breakfast you shouldn't. Breakfast doesn't keep you full all day.
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

If you don't want to eat breakfast you shouldn't. Breakfast doesn't keep you full all day.

Doesn't keep you full all day but a portion of that day and it depends what kind you eat
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    It's a matter of personal choice. I am never hungry in the morning except when I eat breakfast. On days I eat breakfast (eggs or oatmeal) I am hungry in a few hours and eat more than if I don't have breakfast. I personally eat in a small window (12-6) for my own reasons (I have Crohn's and my abdominal pain is worse after eating so I don't eat in the morning so I can get my workout in and I don't eat in the evening so I can sleep without debilitating pain plus the no appetite in the morning thing). Everybody is different in regards of meal timing.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Breakfast...meh.
    I just blend my protein powder into strong coffee and that makes me happy. I find not having food close to waking makes me have more control over my hunger throughout the day.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I eat my breakfast around noon (im up around 630)....so i have more calories for after dinner. Ive lost 72# this way.

I generally eat more calories overall on days I eat before 11 am.

Plus I prefer to run fasted...I feel better and am able to run longer distances and faster than if I eat breakfast.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Depends in the person. I am MUCH more sluggish and have alot less energy throughout the day if I eat breakfast.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is awesome. If I had a high TDEE I'd eat it, but I don't. I REALLY like skipping breakfast and enjoying the calories later in the day. Lately I've gotten really good at going until 1:00 or so without eating, but I'm in a surplus. I might have to adjust once I'm back in a deficit or maintenance.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to skip breakfast because I always get munchy in the evenings. If I'm on campus all day or will be busy in other ways, I eat breakfast because I need the fuel, but if I'll be home most of the day (read: during the summer) I skip breakfast & wait to eat until later because it keeps me on track.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs and toast every morning--mostly so that the other people in the office don't have to deal with me being hangry.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is a glass of orange juice.

I found that if I was having a full breakfast, it was actually making me feel hungrier mid-morning, and I'd be more likely to give in and reach for something not in my calorie goal before I ever made it to lunch.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

7. Myth: Skipping breakfast is bad and will make you fat.

Truth

Breakfast skipping is associated with higher body weights in the population. The explanation is similar to that of lower meal frequencies and higher body weights. Breakfast skippers have dysregulated eating habits and show a higher disregard for health. People who skip breakfast are also more likely to be dieting, thus by default they are also likely to be heavier than non-dieters. Keep in mind that most people who resort to breakfast skipping are not the type that sit around and read about nutrition. They are like most people dieting in a haphazard manner. The type to go on a 800 calorie-crash diet and then rebound, gaining all the weight (and then some) back.

Sometimes, an argument is made for eating breakfast as we are more insulin sensitive in the morning. This is true; you are always more insulin sensitive after an overnight fast. Or rather, you are always the most insulin sensitive during the first meal of the day. Insulin sensitivity is increased after glycogen depletion. If you haven't eaten in 8-10 hours, liver glycogen is modestly depleted. This is what increases insulin sensitivity - not some magical time period during the morning hours. Same thing with weight training. Insulin sensitivity is increased as long as muscle glycogen stores aren't full. It doesn't disappear if you omit carbs after your workout.

Origin

First of all, we have the large scale epidemiological studies showing an association with breakfast skipping and higher body weights in the population. One researcher from that study, commenting on the association with breakfast skipping or food choices for breakfast, said:

"These groups appear to represent people 'on the run,' eating only candy or soda, or grabbing a glass of milk or a piece of cheese. Their higher BMI would appear to
    support the notion that 'dysregulated' eating patterns are associated with obesity, instead of or in addition to total energy intake per se."

Kellogg's and clueless RDs love to cite them over and over again, so people are lead to believe that breakfast has unique metabolic and health-related benefits. In reality, these studies just show breakfast eaters maintain better dietary habits overall.

Other studies frequently cited claiming that breakfast is beneficial for insulin sensitivity are all marred with methodological flaws and largely uncontrolled in design.

In one widely cited study, subjects were entrusted to eat most meals in free-living conditions. The breakfast skipping group ate more and gained weight, which affected health parameters negatively.

From the abstract: "Reported energy intake was significantly lower in the EB period (P=0.001), and resting energy expenditure did not differ significantly between the 2 periods." EB = eating breakfast. In essence, people who ate breakfast could control their energy intake better for the rest of the day. They didn't gain any weight but the breakfast skipping group did. Fat gain always affects insulin sensitivity and other health parameters negatively. Thus what people took this to mean is that breakfast is healthy and improves insulin sensitivity. Which isn't at all what the study showed.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't think skipping breakfast is all that bad.

Some people get really hungry and want to snack all morning and others just aren't hungry when they wake up. It is really about what works for you; if you want something then have it but if not, don't force yourself.

I, personally, do not eat breakfast most days. Part of the reason is just not being hungry but part of it is not having time as I'm permanently running late for everything so tend to sip at a coffee while getting dressed then dash off to uni.

If what you do works for your goals, moods and lifestyle then go for it.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    At the weekend I skip breakfast, well I delay it I guess and have brunch, During the week however I have no interest in breakfast but I'd be no sooner in work until my stomach is rumbling so I eat something.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    It is only bad to skip breakfast if you are hungry. If you are not hungry then there is no reason you have to eat breakfast. If you want to save those calories for later in the say then that is what you should do.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Never been a morning eater never had a problem losing when I'm not eating it personally it's easier to lose or maintain on just morning coffee