Best types of exercises

Options
What are some good different types of exercises to do at home ??? I like to mix it up

Replies

• bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I like doing youtube based yoga at home and functional exercises using a bosu ball.
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We added one recently that could easily be done at home. We're watching Biggest Loser for the first time and saw this there. I don't know what it's called but you stand with your feet about shoulder width apart. Place a dumbbell next to the foot opposite the hand you want to start with. Squat down, pick up the dumbbell bring it up diagonally, and lift it over your head. Then bring it back down, touch the floor and do 10 reps. Then switch to the other side and do 10 reps. Do 3 sets and you will feel it. It works a lot of muscles and gets your heart rate going. You don't need a big weight - I do it with 10 lbs and hubby does it with 15.
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender on YouTube and it's free
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith does loads of different types of workouts on youtube, from zumba inspired cardio workouts to Pilates to yoga and strength training.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    Options
    patesq wrote: »
    We added one recently that could easily be done at home. We're watching Biggest Loser for the first time and saw this there. I don't know what it's called but you stand with your feet about shoulder width apart. Place a dumbbell next to the foot opposite the hand you want to start with. Squat down, pick up the dumbbell bring it up diagonally, and lift it over your head. Then bring it back down, touch the floor and do 10 reps. Then switch to the other side and do 10 reps. Do 3 sets and you will feel it. It works a lot of muscles and gets your heart rate going. You don't need a big weight - I do it with 10 lbs and hubby does it with 15.

Woodchoppers, it sounds like.

OP, sorry for the tangent.

Exercises I like to do at home: Weight work generally, core exercises (planks, bridges, exercise ball roll-outs/roll-ins, that sort of thing). If you keep your eyes open at garage sales or peruse Craigslist, you can find some exercise equipment fairly inexpensively, eventually, assuming you have room for it. And an exercise ball or resistance bands are pretty cheap brand new.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith does loads of different types of workouts on youtube, from zumba inspired cardio workouts to Pilates to yoga and strength training.

This is a great channel^
  • BMadrid93
    BMadrid93 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Aww thanks guys I just seen this right now I definitely will try and give it my best
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I started with 30 day shred, the firm, and Denise Austin. Recently, I tried turbo jam(kick boxing to music). It's so fun! I like all of them and mix it up all week. Many can be found on YouTube.
  • Numerio
    Numerio Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well, cardio has its place as a weight loss tool, but most of its benefits are health related, not weight related. If you do 60 minutes of cardio, you may torch 100 lbs, but then you don't burn any calories after.

The trick is finding an exercise that combines both strength and cardio, so you get the health benefits with the increase in your BMR!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Numerio wrote: »
    Well, cardio has its place as a weight loss tool, but most of its benefits are health related, not weight related. If you do 60 minutes of cardio, you may torch 100 lbs, but then you don't burn any calories after.

The trick is finding an exercise that combines both strength and cardio, so you get the health benefits with the increase in your BMR!

A pound of fat burns about two calories per day. A pound of muscle burns about six calories per day. So if you lose 10 pounds of fat and replace it with 10 pounds of muscle (which is very significant change in body composition which will take many months to accomplish), you burn an extra 40 calories per day.

Not to say there aren't many benefits to strength training because there most certainly are, but putting on a few pounds of muscle doesn't turn you into a "lean, mean, fat burning machine".
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Dancing to loud music.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the kind you will actually DO consistently!