Transitioning To vegan

Options
Does anyone know the steps of how I can become vegan I've wanted to for the longest time now but I just don't know how ?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why do want to? Is an important question.
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    clarkXc wrote: »
    Does anyone know the steps of how I can become vegan I've wanted to for the longest time now but I just don't know how ?

Google it rather than asking on here. Trust me, you're only going to get replies like:
    elphie754 wrote: »

Or people telling you why they think veganism is bad, and how they lost so much bodyfat by eating cheeseburgers everyday, blahblahblah. No, I'm not a vegan (farrrr from it actually)

• pkhurls
    pkhurls Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to help you to transition to vegan. I've helped a few people now. I've been vegetarian since I was a child and vegan about 5 years. You can add me on MFP if you like then you can see what I eat and happy to PM you as well. I love being vegan and always happy to help anyone in any way I can!

But why is an important question. It helps you stay focussed. I thought giving up cheese would be nearly impossible for me but I watched a lot of documentaries and things on the dairy industry and what is in milk and now I'm so disgusted by it I haven't had any cheats since I made the decision to go vegan!
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm currently going vegan. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Google it rather than asking on here. Trust me, you're only going to get replies like:
    elphie754 wrote: »

Or people telling you why they think veganism is bad, and how they lost so much bodyfat by eating cheeseburgers everyday, blahblahblah. No, I'm not a vegan (farrrr from it actually)

I actually wasn't going to say veganism was bad, however I believe the motive behind it is important. If you are going vegan because of personal ethics, that is great. If you are going vegan solely because you think it is healthier (and you will miss meat/be miserable not eating the things you want) than someone should let that person know it is not required to be healthy.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan (or vegetarian for that matter) but I'm working on meat reduction at the moment for a few reasons and follow a couple of vegan channels on Youtube - they have some delicious looking recipes, and as long as you don't listen to the crazies (ie: the ones that think you're the absolute WORST, unless you go full vegan right now!) they can be very helpful with ideas on all sorts of changes, even if they're just small.

I'd say if you want to go full vegan, and are thinking you're going to find it hard, take it slow!
    - Start with red meat
    - then poultry, fish, eggs
    - Direct sources of dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc)
    - Less obvious sources of animal products (cakes, sweets...I'm not as good with knowledge on these)

Then depending on your reasons for going vegan, mainly whether it's ethical vs health reasons (btw eating meat is not unhealthy, but everyone has different diet preferences) you may choose to look into things like products that test on animals, leather etc.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Try to eat healthier whole foods on your vegan plan. Remember that sugar and refined grain and margarine with transfats are all vegan. It's not just about not being a consumer of animal products.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Not a vegan but I would take a guess at stopping eating animal produce maybe a good first step??
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Not a vegan but I would take a guess at stopping eating animal produce maybe a good first step??

Yeah ... that is pretty much my input as well.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Yeah ... that is pretty much my input as well.

Just an educated guess :D
  • gibbs1993
    gibbs1993 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There are so many great options for replacing foods you love in vegan form. For example, if you're a cheese lover you can check out Daiya's non-dairy cheeses and Silk's (or any generic brand) soy/almond/coconut/etc milk. There's also usually a whole vegan/vegetarian section in the frozen aisle with things like vegan "steak" strips, bean "burger" patties and stuff. Focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grain pasta/rice/bread, beans/legumes, nuts and seeds. You can make options like coconut cream "whipped cream" (sit coconut milk in fridge overnight, scoop cream off the top the next day, mix in vanilla extract or whatever flavor/sweetener), nondairy mayo (mixing whatever unsweetened nondairy milk with oil and seasoning). There are loads of recipes online. There are some brands/foods that aren't really healthy but are still vegan like oreos and (I think...double check) Funyuns.

I don't know what your eating habits are, but if you're with friends and they go to Taco Bell (for example) you can get pretty much anything veganized. I try to eat whole foods most of the time, but occasionally when we go to Taco Bell I'll get a burrito with no ranch/sour cream/cheese/meat/etc and ask for extra rice (so its pretty much pico de gayo, avocado, beans and rice). And you can request customizations like this at most restaurants/fast food places.

I've been vegan now for about a week, so I'm no expert (was vegan for awhile in the past too but didn't stick to it). However if you have any questions or needs recipes or anything, I'd be glad to help as best I can. Also, if you have $20 to spare and you like to read, I recommend checking out this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Engine-Diet-Firefighters-Save-Your-Life/dp/0446506699 This is what I'm currently reading and it's some helpful information and somewhat of a guide to transition to a vegan diet.

Best of luck! :smiley:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get a cook book/ web site of bean dishes. Each week find a new one to cook. At the end of one month, you will have four new meals. http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2014/12/50-awesome-vegan-black-bean-recipes.html
  • gingers72
    gingers72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am transitioning to a vegan diet as well. If you would like we could add each other for support.
    I started by trying a 30 day challenge and failed miserably. Now I am transitioning more slowly. I'm finding dairy (half & half and cheese the hardest part.)
  • FitnessPrincess9
    FitnessPrincess9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for just over 2 months now and it was s lot easier than most people would think. I suggest watching cowspiracy, but if you don't want to do that than just go vegan. If you try and slowly slide into it you will really struggle, just jump right in. Just make sure you are eating enough plant foods, and try and stay away from processed foods, like chips and tofu and veggie burgers. Have them on occasion, but mainly plant foods.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your vitamin B12 supplements.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Check out the Vegan Society website - loads of clear info on all aspects of veganism, especially re nutrition.
    vegansociety.com/
  • willybilly30
    willybilly30 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i am transitioning to veganism
    going lacto ovo this month
    i say do it gradually giving up something a month
    it will help you get used to it
    Also, join the group happy herbivores.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Try to eat healthier whole foods on your vegan plan. Remember that sugar and refined grain and margarine with transfats are all vegan. It's not just about not being a consumer of animal products.

It quite literally is about not being a consumer of animal products. Veganism is an ethical objection to animal exploitation.

Just like non-vegans, vegans can choose to focus on the health component of their foods and avoid certain foods. But vegans, just like non-vegans, can also choose to eat things like sugar, refined grains, and transfats. They're separate issues completely.