Scale not moving!

Options
Ok, I need help trying to understand how am i losing inches but not weight. I've noticed a difference in my clothes and appearence but when i get on the scale, there's no change. What am I doing wrong? I do cardio about 4 days a week or more if i can and I havn't been lifting weights or anything. Im on 1200 calories per day but thats just what im watching, my calories. Should I get on a certain diet that requires me to watch carbs or fat? I've been eating what i want but not exceeding my calories. Help....I want to see the numbers on the scale decrease. What am i doing wrong??

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should up to calories and eat more....
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well there's alot of talk on here about eating back your exercise calories, so i would think as you're on the minimum of 1200 a day you should be doing this.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    First off, is 1200 cals/ day the amount you should have daily without exercise? For example, when you burn 400 cals, do you add that to your intake? You should, because you don't want to under-eat. Your body will think it's going into starvation mode and hold onto whatever it can.

Second, how are you eating your calories? Are you having breakfast? Eating every 3-4 hours? Make sure you're having breakfast (skipping breakfast will slow down your metabolism, vs having a great, balanced bfast will level out your blood sugar levels, increase your energy and speed up your metabolism). Also make sure you're eating normal portions every few hours, because again, eating them all at once in one or two big meals will mess with your metabolism. For example, I eat balanced meals every 2-4 hours. Balanced= cutting down on sugars, processed foods and fried foods, and supplementing your diet with whole grains, fruits, veggies, nuts and lean meats. (quality of calories is just as/more important than the quantity!)

Lastly, pay more attention to the way your clothes fit, how you look and feel. Especially when you start lifting weights and put on muscle, muscle weighs more than fat. Your BMI is more important than your actual weight. You can get your body fat measured at most gyms (using a body fat caliper is the most convenient and more accurate than using just a tape measure or height and weight). For example, my weight stayed the same for 8 weeks a couple months ago, but I put on a couple pounds of muscle and lost a few pounds of fat. Net weight was the same, but I was more toned, my clothes fit better and my BMI was better.

Hope this helps!! :)
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Your not doing anything wrong. The scale is only one tool to help determine overall health. If your seeing positive changes that dont reflect on the scale its ok. If your losing inches while maintaining your weight then you've replaced the fat with some muscle. This is good & will help elevate your metabolism. The scale is not the ultimate judge of fittness dont get hung up on it as long as you are making progress. Also your weight fluctuates so day to day can change a bit.
  • Mrsstrip
    Mrsstrip Posts: 5
    Options
    Thankyou so much this really helps. I do tend to skip breakfast from time to time and could do better with the quality of the calories i take in. This makes sense!
  • tacker81
    tacker81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi, don't know what your "pyramid" looks like, but your calorie count sounds pretty good. You could even hop up another 100 if you want, but you could try the following daily for 1 week straight and see what happens:

5-6 lean protein servings [every meal have protein, then 2 snacks have 1/2 serving protein each, 1 snack add 1/2 veggie serving] / 4-5 veggie servings / 1-2 frut servings / 1 fat.

Watch your serving sizes, meat is 4 oz lean, 1whole & 2-3 egg whites, veggie is usually 1 cup, fruit would be 5-6 strawberries, half grapefruit, 1 apple, 1/2c berries - there are certain fruits you should pass on while trying to lose - bananas, melons; fat is 1 tbsp, 12 raw unsalted almonds or walnuts, 24 unshelled unsalted, unroasted peanuts, (good fats) etc...

NO dairy, NO sugar (that means added too, check ingredient lists), NO starches (bread, pasta, potato, corn, cereal, crackers, rice) for 1 week.
    No dressings or mayo's - try lemon jce, vinegar, mustards, herbs and spices

It's only 1 week -- seven days, you can do that, you are strong and know what you want (;
    so you can have lean meats, eggs, veggies, fruit and a fat.
    Concentrate on what you CAN have, not what you can't.
    Good Luck...if you follow this, you will start a whole process that will lead to good!
  • kimmycj13
    kimmycj13 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have the same problem, I am not losing pounds but I feel like I am losing inches. I have a protein shake for breakfast, so is that technically considered "eating"? Should I maybe not have one every day?