New to exercising and NOT losing weight

Options
libbs7667
libbs7667 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I recently turned 40 and decided it was time to get rid of my jelly belly. My husband is also overweight so together we have been exercising at a gym and counting calories. I am 5'4 and allow myself 1660 calories a day. I rarely count my excersise calories as intake. When we started exercising I weighed 240 lbs and within a few weeks I dropped 5 pounds. It's been almost 2 months and I'm maintaining at 235 and not losing at all. I'm totally frustrated because I'm doing everything I should do but I'm not seeing results.

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food with a food scale? If not, you're probably eating more than you think. Two months without a loss means you're eating at maintenance.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If your not weighing and logging EVERYTHING solid and measuring all liquids, your calorie counts may be off. Also, make sure to use good database entries (they are all user entered so they are sometime wrong). When possible verify the database entry with the package. If its something not pacakaged with info, like fruit or raw meat....try to use the usda entry (type... navel orange usda...or raw chicken breast usda...etc...).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

If your logging IS already accurate, you may need to decrease your calories. Are you set to lightly active, active or sedentary? The calorie intakes given by mfp...are estimates and may not work for everyone.
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    good video thanks!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much to lose. You may be inaccurately weighing your solids or measuring your liquids. Or you may be using bad/inaccurate entries in the food database. Or everything is accurate but the 1660 calorie goal is too high for you.
  • libbs7667
    libbs7667 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all and the video was great. I have always just assumed every measuring cup was accurate. I will try again.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Scales are deceiving. In my case i lost half my fat and the scale still reads the same come to find out I gained muscle in the place of my fat and it's hidden under the fat I still carry. I feel it when I flex so this is causing the scale to always read the same for me. So I personally don't stress the scale since see results and fitting into smaller clothes.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try to measure your changes in another way beyond the scale. Measure yourself. Keep a log. Look at your fitness level and set goals in that manner. If tightening your food weighing/measuring works, you still have other ways to measure your changes.

Personally, I measure once a week, set fitness and food goals, and try to bolster my lifestyle change in a way that doesn't translate on the scale. It makes a difference when I view it. Positive views instead of a negative one. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to continue. I have to see the positive, in whatever form it happens.