Why are Vegans Evangelical?

Options
Medilia
Medilia Posts: 230 Member
Okay! Before a fight starts I am not trying to have a go at Vegans or attack them.

I just want to know why they always feel the need to tell people they are Vegan and preach the lifestyle.

I have being looking into Veganism recently just to satisfy my curiosity.

Before I started researching it I have had several Vegan's approach me and preach their lifestyle. I know all the people on my Facebook who are Vegan because they have to remind everyone every few posts they publish.

Now that I am researching I see even more of it where Vegan's pop up in the most random places to preach. I was on a weight lifting group and someone was talking about the best meats for protein and the vegan comes along saying meat is unethical and they should eat these plants for their protein.

So I am reaching out to Vegans and just asking why do you feel the need to convert everyone to your lifestyle? A girl at my work eats junk all the time and while I could point her towards healthy alternatives but I am not going to preach, she knows I am healthy and active, if she wants help she will ask.

Not trying to start a fight, I just want to understand.

Replies

• kensreboot
    kensreboot Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's a stereotype, IMO. When I was 100% vegan I didn't do any of those things people say vegans do. Heck, I am back to 99% Vegan, but don't feel I need to mention it to anyone. People at work whom I have worked with for years will see me reading a book about being Plant Strong, or Nutrition in general, and question me about it, because at my weight, I am sure it confuses people. People will see me not eating meat and ask me. I will explain to them that I don't eat animal products and why I don't. I very rarely start a conversation with someone about it, or even mention it, which goes against what people seem to think about Vegans in general.
  • Medilia
    Options
    There seem to be many living up to the stereotype - But that's where we get stereotypes from.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Not all of them are. it's a perception problem. If the someone doesn't tell you that s/he's vegan, you assume that s/he isn't, so the non-evangelical vegans are invisible.
    Those who do "preach" this lifestyle do it because they think it's unethical to allow animals to suffer for our enjoyment, not to mention the massive environmental degradation it causes. Same reason evangelical christians are evangelical. The junk food analogy is kind of a false equivalency, because she's not hurting anyone other than herself by eating junk food, and the vegans trying to "convert" you probably aren't doing it because they're worried about your health.
  • Avenged_Sevenx
    Avenged_Sevenx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I honestly sat here for a few minutes trying to type a response that would satisfy both parties.

However, when dealing with this type of subject, one person is bound to get upset..
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Only a small percentage are. Vegans believe that people and animals are equal so obviously they aren't superior to meat eaters/ vegetarians. I have run into evangelical keto followers, clean eaters, paleo, vegetarians, omnivores, vegans, etc so it is universal. Some people just think their way is the only way.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    same reason there are paleo zealots?

edit for spelling.
  • shannylove9
    shannylove9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have 2 theories about this! lol

1. I feel like the people who are posting a lot about veganism are more noticeable, and for every one you see there are probably numerous people who rarely talk about being vegetarian/vegan. But because those people are so loud and obnoxious about it they're tied to "all vegans being that way"

2. Some people that are vegan/vegetarian get a lot of flack from people about not getting enough protein, why they chose to eat the things they did, what their views on food are, etc... and sometimes it gets annoying and there can be frustration maybe leading to overreactions
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I feel like not all of them are but the ones that are like that, are so freaking annoying that it makes it seem like tons are that way. For example, I know a few outspoken vegans who every word out of their mouth is talking about veganism. These few wreck it for the ones that aren't like that.

I haven't eaten meat in almost 35 yrs. Yet I don't feel the need to tell anyone unless the conversation comes up. I know a girl at my job who turned vegan because it was the trendy thing to do. She told anyone and everyone , just to show people how trendy she is . those people are only vegan because its the IN thing to do. Next year they will be low carb or paleo and preach that.

Some people are followers and always searching for the next "cool and hip" thing to latch onto. Yes its annoying . not all vegans are like this though. You may be surprised just how many people are vegan but never talk about it at all.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    I've seen more evangelical Paleo and Ketoers than vegans. I know plenty of vegans IRL who are not evangelical.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    It's the same thing about anything you're passionate about. Sometimes people just want to spread their information to other people. While some do it in a way that talks down others that don't follow, others are genuine in their intentions. I have been outspoken about eating healthier and everything to friends and others because I care about them and want them to be well. I tend to try to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume if they're telling me anything, it is because they genuinely care. This is why I don't get mad when I have religious people try to preach to me. If they are being respectful and not making what they're saying one-sided, if anything the worst it can do is start a dialog. If they are being evangelical about their lifestyle, if they can talk about it intelligently, it is welcome, and if I think they're wrong I can hopefully back up my side with facts to maybe convince them that they're wrong.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't think they are. I find it more offensive as a vegetarian that people who eat meat get me to try it. Like no, meat is no unappetizing to me and tastes disgusting. If I liked it, I'd eat it. I have vegan friends, none of them preach to me. It's the other way around. "oh, try this steak, you'll like it...."
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everyone is evangelical.
    Its more noticeable in vegans because they are so outside of the norm.

I'm pretty chilled, but even I'll admit I'm a bit evangelical about things like CICO being great and HIIT being rubbish for weight loss. I'm sure many of you read the first one and thought something like, you cant evangelise about CICO, its just the truth, and got to the second, and screamed Blasphemer....
  • chelseycarr666
    chelseycarr666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Because they are passionate (and should be).

I have gotten into debates and have had "meat eaters" play that SAME hand and feel just as strongly. (Some telling me that I should be hanging from a tree, or that I had daddy issues)

What is WRONG, however, is when vegans preach about equality, and coexistence, yet bash and tear down their own species. I have seen, and heard, so many veg heads degrade and insult strangers. Hate is hate.

What it boils down to, IMO, is balance. Yo, if you're vegan, AWESOME. If not? Hey girl do you. All high and mighty vegans need to realize that, regardless if you're meat free, your clothing is probably the product of child labor. It's always something. Do your part to do good in the world, and spread awareness,

But most importantly: don't be a dick.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've seen more evangelical Paleo and Ketoers than vegans. I know plenty of vegans IRL who are not evangelical.

This. This is also my opinion. But I've also found that those that speak the loudest only speak for brief periods of time before they burn out... just be patient and they'll pass the torch to others who are newly excited about something.
  • FitnessPrincess9
    FitnessPrincess9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Personally I am only vegan for health reasons, not ethical reasons. The only time I tell someone I'm vegan is when I am offered meat or dairy. I don't think of myself as superior to others and I'm not preachy about it. Everyone has a choice to live the way they want and I respect that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    This can be applied to any EATING PROGRAM. Paleo, low carb, primal, "clean eaters", non GMO, etc. People who have an eating lifestyle which seems to work out well where others didn't, will likely preach about it. HOW it's put across can be perceived as evangelic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    because we vegans are all really beautiful and special thats why..

but i almost never bring up that im vegan to people unless a topic relating to veganisim is happening

or there is food

honestly people attack me and harass me about it way more than i ever get savage on them about it......well ok i can be a very "mean vegan" but only when provoked or i feel like it ;)
  • Medilia
    Options

hahahaha that's why most people post threads filled with thinly veiled complaints about the perceived actions of a random group of people with beliefs different than their own, they just want to "understand"

I genuinely do! I want to understand why they feel the need to randomly inbox me saying that they think I need to stop eating meat.
    I want to understand why on a weight lifting forum talking about meat they need to come and say that we should eat X, Y, Z instead of meat for our protein.
    I want to understand why - but of course I am just "Perceiving" these actions? Maybe I imagined our thread having to be closed on my weight lifters group because the Vegan refused to respect the subject matter and wanted to use it as a platform.
    Or a Vegan on my facebook page commenting on my photo of my food to declare something along the lines of "A plate of murder"
    I don't think they are. I find it more offensive as a vegetarian that people who eat meat get me to try it. Like no, meat is no unappetizing to me and tastes disgusting. If I liked it, I'd eat it. I have vegan friends, none of them preach to me. It's the other way around. "oh, try this steak, you'll like it...."

Yes, I don't think that people trying to get their vegetarian friends to eat meat is nice. It's all about

respect

What is WRONG, however, is when vegans preach about equality, and coexistence, yet bash and tear down their own species. I have seen, and heard, so many veg heads degrade and insult strangers. Hate is hate.

But most importantly: don't be a dick.

Yes! Rule 1 of life =p
    But also Yes to the first part of your post too. There is a Vegan Youtuber who posted a video awhile back in tears declaring that people should be forced to be Vegan and if they refuse they should be killed because they don't deserve to live on this Earth. I was taken aback by it. Like, wow, really, we should all die because of what we eat doesn't agree with your beliefs? - Not saying all Vegans on that one, just that crazy one.

So I think the answer is: They are passionate about it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    If you love something, you talk about it. I talk about booty all the time...all day every day. Just don't eat all the trees and diminish my oxygen...or we WILL have problems.

yea too bad about all that deforestation happening to make way for more animal feed fields eh?

but hey gotta love that flesh rotting in your intestines tho