Giving up pop

Options
Does anyone else struggle with this ? I have tried so many times to quit drinking Coke. It's so hard!! Trying once again !

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How much do you drink each day? Have you tried transitioning to diet soda?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's the sugar you're addicted to. If you switch to sweet tea, you'll still get the sugar but you won't have the harm of the carbonation. After you are well and thoroughly done with Coke, you can start reducing the sugar content of your tea. It takes time to break away from a sugar addiction. It might help if you deliberately have sweet corn, watermelon, or other naturally sweet foods in your diet to further trick your mind into associating sugar with good nutrition.
  • rainwater467
    rainwater467 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like carbonated water. Gives me the sensation of soda with no sugar.
  • arditarose
    Options
    It's the sugar you're addicted to. If you switch to sweet tea, you'll still get the sugar but you won't have the harm of the carbonation. After you are well and thoroughly done with Coke, you can start reducing the sugar content of your tea. It takes time to break away from a sugar addiction. It might help if you deliberately have sweet corn, watermelon, or other naturally sweet foods in your diet to further trick your mind into associating sugar with good nutrition.

What in the world are you talking about? How is switching from one sugary drink to another sugary drink helpful in this situation? What "harm" does the carbonation cause?
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda long ago because I didn't want the sugar or artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, inorganic phosphate, factory-produced caffeine, or anything else that might be in that fizzy drink. I drink water, black coffee, unsweetened tea, and a little skim milk. I don't miss sodas.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Huh?!?!?!?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

What? So, replace sugar with sugar, then replace that with sugar?
  • arditarose
    Options

lmao
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Yup basically lol
  • elphie754
    Options

Yes because everyone knows carbonation is horrible for you, even though it is just carbon dioxide bubbles......

*rolls eyes*
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Yes because everyone knows carbonation is horrible for you, even though it is just carbon dioxide bubbles......

*rolls eyes*

Hey, carbon dioxide can kill. What if she accidentally put her head in a box and inhaled nothing but bubb... yeah. I couldn't even finish that hyperbole. As you were.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Buy smaller packs of it. If you really need Coke some moments you can just have one can or less if there's smaller portion available where you live (can is smallest around here). Go buy it separately from a shop walking distance away from your home and choose a shop which isn't right next to you so you have to go get it if you want it. And just stretch the times between drinking them and figure out something nice to do so you won't be thinking about it as much. And if it doesn't have to be Coke exactly you can try carbonated water and mix something into it to give taste and start reducing drinking from that.
  • elphie754
    Options
    By pop you mean soda(what we call it here) nearly early news show warns about this to our culture that it's the soda connected to obesity-so giving up coke is key. Good luck it will def aid weight loss not to bother with those empty calories..

Excess calories lead to obesity. If you are consuming soda but staying within maintainence calories or in a deficit you will not gain weight.

Also, diet soda has no calories and therefore has no direct impact on weight loss (some people find it increases their cravings and giving into those could lead to a calorie surplus).
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Before 2014 I drank sodas several times a week. One of the things I love about this country is free drink refill. It's everywhere. My workplace is surrounded by fast foods.

I think the addiction came from the combination of sugar or worse high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, and whatever the heck the fast food scientists came up to get you hooked.

Whoever above suggested going for tea has the right idea. That was how I weened off. Started going for 1/2 the cup with sweet ice tea, 1/2 with fresh brew tea. The suffering felt more tolerable. Eventually full fresh, plain ice tea.

Getting off soda is worth it. No more bad breath that sugar causes, the afternoon crashes, the occasional coughing.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Before 2014 I drank sodas several times a week. One of the things I love about this country is free drink refill. It's everywhere. My workplace is surrounded by fast foods.

I think the addiction came from the combination of sugar or worse high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, and whatever the heck the fast food scientists came up to get you hooked.

Whoever above suggested going for tea has the right idea. That was how I weened off. Started going for 1/2 the cup with sweet ice tea, 1/2 with fresh brew tea. The suffering felt more tolerable. Eventually full fresh, plain ice tea.

Getting off soda is worth it. No more bad breath that sugar causes, the afternoon crashes, the occasional coughing.

The what?!? Want to explain how on earth soda made you cough? (Aside from the occasional accidental "snorting" while laughing or choking-which can happen with any liquid).
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Do people use the Interweb for research anymore?
    http://naturalsociety.com/chemicals-really-in-coca-cola-coke-soda/

Read here about the additives. Some "can eat away at your stomach and esophageal lining."

Make an educated guess yourself. Between the additives, the withdrawal symptoms, the allergy...

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Do people use the Interweb for research anymore?

Do you? Your source is mostly nonsense.

OP, easiest step is to develop a taste for diet soda. Then sugar soda will eventually taste too sweet.

For colas, I suggest Coke Zero and Pepsi Max.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just give it up cold turkey. It will feel uncomfortable for a week .. Or 2 .. Or 3. But eventually you may not miss it to much. And drink lots of water.
  • MAB0218
    MAB0218 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use to drink 4-5 redbulls a day and 2 sodas a day. 2/4/16 I gave up all redbull and only have a coke zero when I have a migraine. I switched to home brewed unsweetened green ice tea. I drink about 5 cups a day. One or two cups of coffee a day with 1 splenda and 1/4 cup of almond milk. It really wasnt hard. I was super addicted to my caffeine/sugar and I quit it. Mind over matter.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Stop picking it up, putting it to your mouth, and drinking it.

Food and drink holds no power over you.